• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front hitches

olivedrabcj7

NAXJA Member #1384
im not sure where to post this but i figured id let you guys know. my dad is an RV dealer and i was thumbing through his hitch book today and i saw that his cost on a front receiver hitch for the XJ is 85 bucks plus shipping. if you ask me thats damn good. most of them ive seen online are 109.00 and up. theyre made by Curt. if any of you think you may be interested, hit me up back channel and ill hook ya up!! mods if this needs to be moved...please do so.
 
i dont think there are too many options for mounting a front hitch on the XJ. I think all the brands are pretty much the same. I have a reese on mine.. basically hangs down the 3 or so inches of the square tube.. it tucks to the frame pretty well. Were the clearance is a big issue, is when your on a creaper underneath the front end.. when your head bounces off a class 3 receiver... it hurts.....
 
Ludakris said:
i dont think there are too many options for mounting a front hitch on the XJ. I think all the brands are pretty much the same. I have a reese on mine.. basically hangs down the 3 or so inches of the square tube.. it tucks to the frame pretty well. Were the clearance is a big issue, is when your on a creaper underneath the front end.. when your head bounces off a class 3 receiver... it hurts.....

Not to hijack - but out of curiosity, is it possible to fit a front hitch and keep the factory skidplates in place? I've been looking at it and keep going back and forth between 'yes', 'no', and 'maybe'. All I know is that I'd like to replace the tow hooks with something tied in to both frame rails.
 
I installed a drawtite hitch a couple of weeks ago. When I was looking for one to purchase I seen that the drawtite was the best way to go for the design. They are tucked up a little closer than most other brands and have hook points along with the reciever in the center. Took me about a half an hour to install with two people and a torch for the pushed in bumper. I paid 120.00 shipped to my door. It has been used quite a bit already by winches and straps.

Kim.
 
casm said:
Not to hijack - but out of curiosity, is it possible to fit a front hitch and keep the factory skidplates in place? I've been looking at it and keep going back and forth between 'yes', 'no', and 'maybe'. All I know is that I'd like to replace the tow hooks with something tied in to both frame rails.
Casm, no the skid plates won't work with the hitch. Yes, I would much rather have my hitch than any tow hooks. Much more durable. I was stuck passed my bumpers and tires in bad clay and it took a warn 12,000lb winch to pull me out from the front when a 9,000lb could not do the job and the hitch is rated for 9,000lbs of winch pulling. It held up great. I don't see a tow hook being able to support that much weight. Hope this helps in your decision.

Kim.
 
85xjwoody said:
Casm, no the skid plates won't work with the hitch.

This is what I was afraid of, and given a choice between the skid and the receiver I'll stick with the skid. Oh well. At least that leaves me with $125 to invest in other stuff :D
 
casm said:
This is what I was afraid of, and given a choice between the skid and the receiver I'll stick with the skid. Oh well. At least that leaves me with $125 to invest in other stuff :D


once you have the hitch mounted, you will realize there is NO need for that skid plate anymore... having a 2" square tube across there will protect alot more than the 1/8" or so front skid.. I had thought about fabbing and installing a skid within the hitch, but after looking into it, i really dont think it would be necessary. It will stop anything worth stopping.. $.02
 
Aren't those hitches for the rear? They fit for the front?

2001 Jeep Cherokee Downsize, All Models (Will Not Fit Grand Cherokee)
Insta-Hitch II PN 06954
Part Number: 06954
Description: Insta-Hitch II
Class Rating: CLASS II
WC: 3500 lb.
Drawbar: 36071
More Detail >>>
Ø - No Drilling Required


Multi-Fit Receiver PN 37152
Part Number: 37152
Description: Multi-Fit Receiver
Class Rating: CLASS III/IV
WC / WD: 5000 lb. / 6000 lb.
More Detail >>>


Professional Receiver PN 33002
Part Number: 33002
Description: Professional Receiver
Class Rating: CLASS III/IV
WC / WD: 3500 lb. / 5500 lb.
More Detail >>>


Value Receiver PN 44088
Part Number: 44088
Description: Value Receiver
Class Rating: CLASS III/IV
WC / WD: 3500 lb. / 5000 lb.
 
Back
Top