• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frankenstorm 2012

JUst got my power back the other day right before everywhere in NJ ran out of gas. Now they are doing odd and even days with the last number on your plate and limiting you to $40.00 per visit. Diesel is everywhere. My parents are still without powere and won;t have it back untill the 11th. They have been running over the border into PA and fueling up a 55 gallon drum to keep the generator going. Here's a couple trees I lost and crushed the fence behind me but thank god there was nothing major.

334389_3964203505638_408187673_o.jpg

Last edited:
my uncle and my aunt's family are already gutting the lower level of their house. FEMA got back to them and is gonna be covering a LOT. LIPA cant even put long beach island back on the grid bc of the threat of fire from all the salt water corrosion.

I'm going to try to get some pics up when I can. There is almost no boardwalk left anywhere near my house. Most of the roads bear the beach are completely blocked by a few feet of sand. I was fortunate and really didn't lose much. A lot of people I know lost everything so I would ask that you keep everyone around here in your prayers.

my uncle and my aunt's family are already gutting the lower level of their house. FEMA got back to them and is gonna be covering a LOT. LIPA cant even put long beach island back on the grid bc of the threat of fire from all the salt water corrosion.
power co is gonna have to pull a LOT of meters.

Good thing they are gutting it ASAP, the longer they wait the more mold will spread, get one side of each wall stripped and any insulation out as quickly as possible. At least it was probably salt water, so not as much mold... like I said in the thread about Laverne if there is anything I can do to help let me know.

Finally checking in...

Lot of wind in Hunterdon County on Monday night, one of the most unnerving things I've ever experienced - major pucker factor between the house vibrating from the wind and thinking about the two 80-ft poplars on the lot, but they held up like troopers since they dropped their leaves prior to the storm.

Lost one large branch on my maple, and one broken one in an Oak too high to reach, but only a couple shingle tabs on the roof lost and one piece of alum. siding (original wood underneath unscathed). Neither damaged tree near house, though.

Power's been out here since about 2030 Monday night, no idea when I'll get it back. Keeping the house warm and the food cold via generator, only got my Internet back up over the weekend (the DSL modem was being a bit picky about input voltage to the transformer plug.

Workplace was without power from mid-afternoon last Monday to last night (they chased us out last week at noon), just got back to work today.

Feel pretty lucky compared to what I've seen of down the shore (looks like some of scenes in Independence Day after the aliens attacked).

Rob

nothing crazy happened down in the poughkeepsie area....our boat yard however got destroyed all the boats in the yard were put onto the train tracks...we were one of the lucky ones and brought our boat up into a higher location for storage, a lot of work needs to be done...hope everything works out ok for everyone who was effected far worse from sandy...stay strong and i'd be happy to help out anyway i can

happy to hear your ok rob

Thanks, Stephan. Considering how I fared last year with the snowstorm and how the NJ shore went, I feel pretty lucky despite still running on generator power.

As of 5am tomorrow morning odd/even plate number gas rationing is in effect for the 5 boroughs, Nassau, and Suffolk county.

It sucks... It's been that way for me since Saturday. It did really help with the long lines though.

It sucks... It's been that way for me since Saturday. It did really help with the long lines though.

FYI.... If you have two registered/plated cars, check both plates. One plate may be even, and the other odd...

(Not my idea... just thought it was a good one to pass along in case you guys didn't think of it.)

I honestly couldn't tell you my plate numbers. I know like the first half of both cars. Still have enough gas in both the vdub and jeep for the next week.

My power came back on late Wednesday afternoon, stayed on through the snow (didn't get much where I am).

FYI.... If you have two registered/plated cars, check both plates. One plate may be even, and the other odd...

(Not my idea... just thought it was a good one to pass along in case you guys didn't think of it.)

I've been pretty good with gas. My job was rationing it out enough to the employees to get us back and forth for cleanup. Now the lines are almost nonexistant.

Just got back from delivering a generator to a hospotal in manhattan, every station in the city i passed had crazy lines.

And in case anyone was wondering, driving down 2nd ave in the city with a flatbed and a trailer at 1amit is just as fun as it sounds.

Back