• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame Stiffeners

redman

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently looking at getting some frame stiffeners. I am down to sets made by Hooligan Offroad or RuffStuff. I was wondering if the wrap around design (welds to three sides of the unibody) of the Hooligan set would make much difference compared to the two sides of the RuffStuff? If I got the hooligan set I would drill out holes for welding. I have heard good things about the RuffStuff set but not much about the Hooligan ones. Has anyone used them and what do you think?

Hooligan Set
http://hooliganoffroad.com/products/xj-unibody-stiffeners

RuffStuff Set
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/XJRAIL.html

Can someone explain to me what is everyone trying to accomplish with add-on frame stiffeners? I'm curious what everyone's goal is for these mods.

I see lots of L shape, U shape and one sided plates. From an engineering point of view these will all help with the bending strength of the frame as well as strengthen mounting points, but do almost nothing for the twisting of the frame (racking of the whole unibody) which I think should be our biggest concern.

Can someone explain to me what is everyone trying to accomplish with add-on frame stiffeners? I'm curious what everyone's goal is for these mods.

I see lots of L shape, U shape and one sided plates. From an engineering point of view these will all help with the bending strength of the frame as well as strengthen mounting points, but do almost nothing for the twisting of the frame (racking of the whole unibody) which I think should be our biggest concern.

If you don't think they do much for overall twist, then you have never run a set.

i dont like how thin the hd engineering one's are

Last edited:
Ruff stuff is the thickest I've seen, that's what I have on all my xj's

Hooligans are 3/16 as well..

Ruffstuffs used to fit like crap donno if that's been fixed.

HD Offroad fit the best and imo are the best unless you plan on one tons heavy crossmembers etc... They do just fine.

I just installed some IRO stiffeners. They fit decent. I did cut some of my own rosette holes in them as I thought the little slits in them just werent enough for me.

0.04" isn't really that big of a deal when it comes to thickness. HDOR stiffys are $130 shipped, RuffStuff is $189 + ship. I guess I'm willing to gamble on 0.04" less metal for a savings of ~$70. The Hooligan stiffys are on special for $99, but no rosette holes.

I installed my stiffies for 3 reasons
#1 Stiffen my unibody....duhhhh
#2 Provide a solid mounting point with welded nuts inside the frame for my 4-link crossmember.
#3 provide a solid mounting point for my rock slider supports

I used RuffStuff stiffeners and couldn't be happier. Very beef and well made. Mine fit with no issues and did not take long at all to install...once I wire wheeled all the undercoating/paint away.

PROTIP: use something like this

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-twisted-wire-cup-brush-47927.html

with a 4 1/2 angle grinder to make short work of cleaning the frame rails.

I used some clean and strip discs from roarksupply. They worked amazing. Then clean up the areas where you are going to weld with a flap disc, maybe wire wheel.

Go with HD Off Road. Pre drilled for rosettes and fit perfectly.

John

another vote for HD Off Road.
they are plenty thick for our 14G unibodies and come with the holes already drilled to rosette weld. they fit perfect. they are way better than the TNT ones I ran on my last jeep.

My vote is for the HDOR stiffeners too. I just installed a set of the main frames on mine this summer. I do wish they wrapped around to the inside like the hooligans. If you wanna drill rosettes in the hooligans then I would go for those hands down. I have been plating the inner frame rail on mine and it's not too bad but I would have loved 3-sided.

Back