• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

four link conversion

Led, excellent work! You don't know how close I came to doing this this summer. I spent more time fabbing my vertical bar bar style anti-wrap thingy than you probably took to do that very nice bit of work :)

I have researched 4 link rears on PBB for a while. I have learned quite a bit about geometry and anti-squat and anti-lift. I am assuming that the guys at D&C did their homework on this? You will know if they did the first time you climb a waterfall.

I think that it will be cool to do this with coilovers mounted up thru the floor.

Also, how do you get 5" uptravel and 14" down travel out of a 14" shock? am i missing something?

SeanP

rear coils

What coils does that kit use? i'm just curious....

i'm going to switch to bilsten 5100 series myself as they will run upside down...

mac 'trend setter' gyvr

1061798833_Dscf0039.jpg

the shocks are mounted strait under the factory upper mount. which allows more travel at the wheel. right now its using stock ZJ 6cyl fronts, just a little soft. Gonna try some others soon.
Led

Mac, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH ALL THAT ROAD-BUILDING????

Jeeze! you guys should have tossed those rocks!!!!!

"doesn't look like a crack to me"

Those rocks were there when we got there. All the trails we ran we didnt stack one rock anywhere, but there were some places that looked like a hwy cause of the rocks stacked.

I think EJS is the cause of the super hwys on the trails....

btw, with that pic i had a broken front upper control arm and was connected, and had two lug nuts holding on the front drivers side tire...

mac '250 in parts and repairs in moab' gyvr

Did anybody find out the price yet? I really liked what Led said about its road handling as well as its capability, and I might give something like this a try someday.---Kyle

:eek: Ouch! I think I will eventually learn to make it before I buy it----Kyle

I like the setup, but you've gotta be kidding on the price. $1250 for 4 pieces of tubing, 8 heims and some plate? I know those guys gotta make a profit but damn.

Peterson's

Forgive me if I am stating the already stated, didn't really want to read through the entire thread, but there is a great article on engineering your own 4 link in Peterson's off road July edition. It is part 2 of 2, but part 1 in June's edition is just talking about whether or not it's for you. You obviousely have already made this decision!
I too will be going the 4 link route with a '83 beater XJ this winter.

I hope everything goes good for ya!

-Steve

vintagespeed said:
I like the setup, but you've gotta be kidding on the price. $1250 for 4 pieces of tubing, 8 heims and some plate? I know those guys gotta make a profit but damn.

Is everything included? Such as, parts stated above + coils, shocks, perches, etc.? Actually, $1250 would be a decent price. It appears to be well engineered.

Led, Do you have any side view static photos with one of the rear tires removed? It could be the photo, but on the first page it looks like the uppers are lower on the frame side than the axle side.

Flowers

yeah.....we're gonna solve the internal cage/external cage dilemma and cut the top off, so the cage will be both! Still gonna retain the 4 doors though.......they just won't all open in the same direction as stock.

Just 'cause suicide doors kick ass.

-Steve

I was a little sticker shocked myself so I sat down and looked at the break down on the parts. JB Richard says you only use recycled parts! Your post of only 250 worth of material was way off. lets break it down then tell me what it should cost
8 3/4 hiems
16 (8 pairs) missalignment washers
6' 2.25 .25 wall dom
6' 1.50 .25 wall dom
3' 2.00 .25 wall dom
8 threaded inserts
4 axle mounts machined
6' 4x4 .25 wall box steel
4 frame mounts machined
8 grade 8 1/2"x4 bolts,lflats , lock nuts
8 jam nuts
2 upper coil mounts with bump stops
2 lowwer coil mounts
Now add labor for the bending ,welding , and notching
On top off that add in the piece of mind that you KNOW the system will work and how it will work.
Led

Flowers its everything but the coils and shocks. you should be able to get the coils for free as they are just stock xj fronts. I will take some better pics tomorow afternoon.
Led

Led said:
......... JB Richard says you only use recycled parts............
Led
Yep, you'd be surprised what you can make out of 2 old dustpans, a piece of sewer pipe and some rusty gate hinges..........but we're not talking about Richard's rig....:)

no prob......before we start I will post some before pics and keep everyone updated.

-Steve

Oh by the way I mispoke on the '83, It's not a Chief, its an '84

Back