• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

four link conversion

Led said:
KarmirXJ said:
yes that does not look like a 4 link, its a triangulated 3 link.
[/QUOTE
How is this not a 4 link??? Why do you say it will not work on the road?
Led

no your right my bad... I didnt look twice... from a glance they looked like a wishbone. now that im looking twice I see the links converge but still are seperate. I sat in a few with a 4 link on the road, I didnt really get to look at what the guys did or kind of work was done, But I KNOW they where 4 link in the back and there there was very noticable difference in stablility between leafs and links, IMHO leafs with an antiwrap are a bit more stable than links.

just my opinion though its not stamped in stone

A four link is like the front set up and uses a track bar to hold centered. During flex, one upper CA is fighting the other. The axle wants to twist, but the other upper is fighting it. A 3 link would be taking one of the upper CA off. Becouse you have two points starting from the fram rail, coming to a point on the center section (or hoop added above it) making a triangle. It helps to cut down on rear track movement.

As for the DD question, I don't know, I would like the answer myself. I realy like the frame rail were the links tie in.

Looks cool, Led.

Hope you get this link count issue resolved before the Earth stops spinning. :rolleyes:

Are you planning on a Currie Anti-Rock or some such?

M. Lake said:
A four link is like the front set up and uses a track bar to hold centered.

It is my understanding that one of the reasons to trianglate the upperlinks is to do away with the need for a trackbar. Would a trackbar be needed on this design?

No track bar needed on a triangulated 4 link. Otherwise it would be called a 5 link, although there's only a few of us out there that will actually call it that.

True. A real trainglated 3 link would have something like a triangle with one heim joint conted to the axle. Then there is 3 links connected to the axle. IMHO

I don't know why it has not seen done.

I'm running 14" 5100's with room for ~5"' uptravel and 14ish down (my jack stands aren't tall enough). The coils are mounted under the frame, with the axle moved back 5 inches. I'm sure there a couple more pics floating around, but I can re-post 'em if needed for ideas.
-Jon

Hey led that looks sick as hell, pretty sweet what you are thinking up. . . . damn that looks good. By the way thanks with the help on the DW problem, Turns out all of this shit is a out of round tire. Just got my spare tonight and I can hit 50 without any vibes. THe unit bearings and joints were cool. THanks again man.

NIk

here are some flex pics took it for a short drive tonight.feels good so far.my 9010s seem to be a good compromise on up and down travel. I m usin stock XJ coils right now might try some other options to get it dialed right where i want it. All in all very promising design.
aex.sized.jpg
aev.sized.jpg
aey.sized.jpg

Led,
Do you have any closeup pics of the spring perches ?
:eek:

Led said:
KarmirXJ said:
yes that does not look like a 4 link, its a triangulated 3 link.
[/QUOTE
How is this not a 4 link??? Why do you say it will not work on the road?
Led

Cause they've never fabbed anything but their hair. That looks killer, good job.

And YES peeps that would be consider a triangulated 4 link. IE. there's 1,2,3,4 links attaching the axle to the body/frame. :rolleyes:

KarmirXJ said:
no your right my bad... I didnt look twice... from a glance they looked like a wishbone. now that im looking twice I see the links converge but still are seperate. I sat in a few with a 4 link on the road, I didnt really get to look at what the guys did or kind of work was done, But I KNOW they where 4 link in the back and there there was very noticable difference in stablility between leafs and links, IMHO leafs with an antiwrap are a bit more stable than links.

just my opinion though its not stamped in stone

Dude, that's just plain ignorance. A 4 link locating system does nothing for suspension 'ride' and stability. The ride would be handled by the suspension (the part that suspends the body above the axle) this would be the leafs or coils that provide the rear ride. The vehicle you rode in might have been sitting on coils or leafs (1/4 or 1/2 elliptical) that were not the proper spring rate for the vehicle. There's alot more to setting up a suspension then just welding on some links & sticking a pair of springs in there........ If it was a coil sprung rear (most likely) then it was probably a poorly rated set of coils as having a custom set of coils wound to match your application is WAY expensive and I doubt it was coilovers because of the big holes you have to cut in the fenderwell to fit them. Either way a swaybar of some kind should be used to help coils react more like leafs in the corners. :angel:

OneTonXJ said:
No track bar needed on a triangulated 4 link. Otherwise it would be called a 5 link, although there's only a few of us out there that will actually call it that.

Well yes & no, that all depends on the degree to which the triangulated arms (upper or lower) are angled relative to the parallel arms. The stock XJ front is a triangulated 5 link that will not work (essentially) without the TB.

Well I finaly got some time to type.First a huge thanks to Damion and Bill at D and C for letting me guinie pig the XJ 4 link!!! My impresions are this. It is probably the best handling lifted XJ I have ever driven icluding those only lifted 3 or 4 inches.there is NO rear tail swag at all. I was running 70 down HWY 115 no prob. There is alot less body roll than with leafs. Its lifted about 8"s. On the trail it is about perfect It flexes like mad and puts the power to the ground where belongs. It does not have the inherent problem of trying to lift the drivers front like many rear coiled vechiles.The spring rate on the rear could stand to be a little stiffer to balance it with front more and I'm working on that. The jeep does not creak as much off road as it used to ( which was alot )All and all I am very pleased with it. Also I only hit the lower link once the whole day and that was on the exit.
Once again A big thanks to DandCExtreme Here is a link to more pics Well I finaly got some time to type.First a huge thanks to Damion and Bill at D and C for letting me guinie pig the XJ 4 link!!! My impresions are this. It is probably the best handling lifted XJ I have ever driven icluding those only lifted 3 or 4 inches.there is NO rear tail swag at all. I was running 70 down HWY 115 no prob. There is alot less body roll than with leafs. Its lifted about 8"s. On the trail it is about perfect It flexes like mad and puts the power to the ground where belongs. It does not have the inherent problem of trying to lift the drivers front like many rear coiled vechiles.The spring rate on the rear could stand to be a little stiffer to balance it with front more and I'm working on that. The jeep does not creak as much off road as it used to ( which was alot )All and all I am very pleased with it. Also I only hit the lower link once the whole day and that was on the exit.
Once again A big thanks to DandCExtreme
Led

--------------------
Short Bus

Led

--------------------
Short Bus
4link_l.jpg
4link_j.jpg

oh my god that is sweet. any idea how much they want for that set up. what all is included cani have a number? i am just getting ready to do a 8" lift and was going to go with BOR leafs but that looks sweet. i got some money burning a whole tell the price. or a number. please please please

That's about $200 in materials.

no I don't know the price yet but I will find out tomorow. VS its over $250 just in Aroura Hiems. add inserts ,lock nuts,dom, and the machine work its a bit more

Back