• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Forget 44s and 8.8s...lets talk Toyotas

so what is the best way to do this rear end swap. i really wanna do it cause its not as common as a 8.8 and the rear end was free.

well i fitted the housing up under my truck today and its to narrow. the spring perches are right at the ends so. it wont work. i'll find something else to put it in. are there any other good axle swap canidates because i wanna do somthin different then an 8.8 or a 44.

haynesn12 said:
well i fitted the housing up under my truck today and its to narrow. the spring perches are right at the ends so. it wont work. i'll find something else to put it in. are there any other good axle swap canidates because i wanna do somthin different then an 8.8 or a 44.

A Sunray or Diamond 9" center with Mog 404 or 416 outers would definitely be different around here. Of course then, you would have to match the front.

Last edited:
Dirk Pitt said:
That's the one, only those are not 60 outers. It's Mog 416.

i know - i was actualy listing 3 different hybrid axles there, just didnt space out my responce or format it well enough to convey my thoughts

Fergie, crayon writer,

did you ever complete the taco swap?
How did it go, if yes?

Ive got a built rotated waggy front that Im looking to match to a 6 lug e-locker taco axle.
It looks like all Id have to do to the taco axle is regear-488 and re weld perches.

there isnt any snags regearing a elocker 410 third to 488 is there?

creeperjeep said:
there isnt any snags regearing a elocker 410 third to 488 is there?

the 6 cyl toyota gears are different than the 4cyl toyota gears, and the e-locker wont fit in a standard 3rd member, you need a specific E-locker third member to have it fit...

other than that - i dont know

from what ive read the elocker gears are same a a turbo4/6cyl
the plan is to get a complete axle from the wrecking yard.
i looked and theyre about 600-700+

creeperjeep said:
from what ive read the elocker gears are same a a turbo4/6cyl
the plan is to get a complete axle from the wrecking yard.
i looked and theyre about 600-700+

Yes the taco e-locker still uses the old style third and the turbo4/v-6 gears. Gearing is just like the old style toy's with side adjusters but be prepared to spend some $$ on the bearing. The pinion bearings on the v-6 housings are expensive but the bearing on the actuator side was the most expensive one. I couldn't find a good picture of it.

Also make sure you run a good vent line and pull the motor and check for moisture. The copper spot was where one of the pickups for the limiting switch was. Completely coroded away. It's a not replaceable part and a new motor is $500. We found a used one for $200. Little crap like that makes me not want to deal with one again.
elock_parts-1.jpg

Back