• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Forget 44s and 8.8s...lets talk Toyotas

The easiest swap will be this:

Find a 2wd V6 version so you get the following:
-5 on 4.5 bolt pattern
- ~60.5" wms-wms
- 30 spline shafts

The 8.4"/8.25" is a misnomer, all the diffs are 8", the housings are just different.

Once you find an axle like above, you will need to:
swap the 3rd member for the correct gearing
add a locker(lockright, no-slip, Aussie, ARB or detroit are the only available)
grind off old mounts and weld on new ones
shorten driveshaft and buy Toyota to spicer adapter
adapt all brake lines(hydraulic and e-brake)

And I think that about covers it. I have put everything together so far for super cheap. The axle was $150, the no-slip was $50, and the 3rd member swap was free. All told, this will end up less than $500 for everything.

Fergie

Go for 95.5 and up, until they switched to the new Taco, 2005 I believe.

Stay away from 4cyl 2wds as they have 27 spline axle shafts. Also, unless you want to do major machining work, make sure you get the 2wd V6...and only that, much less hassle.

Fergie

First off.. the 95.5 - 2004ish Tacoma is NOT an 8" axle..... It is in fact a tad larger... the ring gear(altho' minimal) is a smidge larger...... The pre Tacoma 8" thirds WILL NOT FIT in the Tacoma housing....... If you want a 60" wide 8" with factory 4.88's look for a 94-95 4runner LIMITED with factory 31" tires..... The axle code will be G144.....This will be a 6 lug axle but with some machine work it can be redrilled......

The 2wd, V6 Tacoma axle is infact a 5x4.5 BP..... I can post a pic if needed as I have one in the driveway......

There is NOT a bolt on disk brake kit for a 5x4.5 Tacoma axle......

The ONLY gear option (that I have found) for the v6, 2wd Tacoma is 3.15..... Precision is supposed to be the only supplier for aftermarket gears..... It is possible to use cheaper 8" V6 (pre-tacoma) gears with a spacer... looking more into that now.......

I have BOTH type of axles in the driveway... a '91 V6, 2wd from a 1 ton with 5x4.5 BP and a V6, 2wd Tacoma with 5x4.5 BP.... I can take pics. and measurements if needed.......

well damn that kinda shoots that idea down? so you can this v6 2wd rear be regeared to say 4:88? and if a limited 4runner rear is found can new shafts be made with 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern by someone such as dutchman? thanks

The disk kit is doable... just not in a 5x4.5 BP..... you would have to have the shaft and Chevy disk re-drilled......

yes you can have new shafts made for the 4 runner rear....... or you can have them machined to fit..... I believe that Lincoln had that done he may be able to give you better info...... Thats why I was thinking about swapping 5 lug Taco shafts into the 4.88 4 runner housing.......

I decided to go with the Tacoma becouse of the beefier carrier..... It has braces to help strengthen it up to help fight pinion breakage... I believe it's worth it in my opinion........

Also, the 91-94 IFS toy rears are 56-57" wide... at least mine is...... The leafs on the XJ are 46" outside to outside.... the axle retaining bolt are 48" inside to inside...... Spacers would be needed to keep the tires off the springs..... IMO

Yes... the Tacoma can be regeared to 4.88... kinda pricey at 250 a set... but worth IMO......

Last edited:
MC-92 said:
Also, the 91-94 IFS toy rears are 56-57" wide... at least mine is...... The leafs on the XJ are 46" outside to outside.... the axle retaining bolt are 48" inside to inside...... Spacers would be needed to keep the tires off the springs..... IMO

The Pickup 8" from 86-94 is 58.5" wide and is too narrow for the brake drums to clear the leaf springs on an XJ. You would need to inboard the leaf springs and run wheelspacers or 2" BSed wheels to use one of these axles under an XJ. Get a 60" wide Toy axle.

BrettM said:
can you put a 4wd Taco third (wrongly called an 8.4) into a 2wd V6 Taco axle? or can you put 2wd V6 shafts into a 4wd Taco axle? That would give you more factory gearing options.
Yes you can put a 4x4 third into a 2wd housing. All the shafts are the same spline count, the ABS ring is the only determining factor.

All the 3rds are interchangeable between the non TRd, non -locked, non 2wd 4cyl Tacos.

Fergie

BrettM said:
The Pickup 8" from 86-94 is 58.5" wide and is too narrow for the brake drums to clear the leaf springs on an XJ. You would need to inboard the leaf springs and run wheelspacers or 2" BSed wheels to use one of these axles under an XJ. Get a 60" wide Toy axle.
Thank you!

Also, unless you have access to machining for cheap, then get the right BP. Otherwise, you need the axle shafts turned down in the center so you have enough material to redrill the BP. You will also need to leave in a stud and redrill through it.

Fergie

BrettM said:

My P/U 8" is from a 91' 1 ton. maybe the 1 ton has something to do with it but it deffinately is NOT 58.5" wide........ Stay away from the 1 ton units they are more trouble than they are worth ....

are the 4 cyl 4x4 Taco thirds 30 spline... ???

kewlkatdady said:
I'm still trying to figure out why this is better than the 8.8?

any takers?
Better clearance. Just as strong, or even more so. No c-clips.

And the axles are abundant enough that you dont get raped on the price like you do a 44 or 8.8.

You end up doing the same amount of work on it as far as mounts and such. The Taco axle is a much better option in my opinion than an 8.8 or 44.

Fergie

Fergie said:
Yes, they are 30 spline shafts. Only the 2wd 4cyl models are 27 spline.

Fergie

Thats kinda what I thought... I dont guess they have a 4.88 factory ratio like the 8" do they ????.... haven't looked into that too much... I know there is a 4.56 but don't think there's a 4.88........

MC-92 said:
Thats kinda what I thought... I dont guess they have a 4.88 factory ratio like the 8" do they ????.... haven't looked into that too much... I know there is a 4.56 but don't think there's a 4.88........
From reading on POR, the 4.88s are very uncommom option on 4Runners, but I don't recall which years.

Fergie

Fergie said:
From reading on POR, the 4.88s are very uncommom option on 4Runners, but I don't recall which years.

Fergie

Once again... the 4runners ARE NOT THE SAME AXLES AS A TACOMA.........The 4 runner is a 8" ... the Tacoma is a 8.4"..... Whether some people wanna call it a 8.4 or not is a personal choice... BUT THEY ARE NOT THE SAME....the 4.88's are in LIMITED 4 runners with 31" tires...... usually '94-'95 yr models...

Be clear that we are talkin about 2 different axles here.......

Back