• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Forget 44s and 8.8s...lets talk Toyotas

I know I'm waaaaay late chiming in on this thread, but I have a '97 XJ with a Toyota 2wd V6 rear axle (8" housing) w/ e-locker and 4:10's. I have done my best to share this experience/knowledge on local boards and such (mostly because of my own dislike for the more common swaps, but nearly all those XJ owners have been reluctant to accept this as a possible swap. After owning a Toyota comp./trail rig with an e-locker and having an employee that has been running high and low pinion e-lockers in 8" housings for the last 8 years, it was the only option I considered to replace my D35.

Anyway, if anyone needs any info or specs, just ask...

I just talked to Vaughn @ RockLogic in SLC about the toy swap he did in his 97 XJ. I was able to get a lot of useful info about years and model types for the swap. He did an early axle swap and then bought a later style 8" e-locker and then modified the housing to accept the new 3rd member. He mentioned that a disc brake conversion would be simple after this swap if I was not content with the factory drums

Anyone interested in this same swap should call him.

Brett - you didn't use a Taco rear did you? otherwise- did you deal at all with the width differnce between the 8" and the 44?

i hate to bring up an older thread but i got some questions. i picked up a toy housing today for free. it came out of a 4cyl truck thats all i know. how hard would it be to make this work under my mj? can i put a third member and shafts out of one that has the right bp or should i just junk it?

I'd pull the axles and see if they are 30 spliners or not. If not, then toss it.

You cant swap the shaft for the correct BP. You can redrill or have custom ones done. The axle will work under your Mj. Relocate the perches, and adapt the brake lines from metric to SAE.

if you dont mind me asking. what are the differances between the shafts? cause i just thought if i used a 3rd member and shafts from the correct axle it would work. i guess i was wrong

haynesn12 said:
if you dont mind me asking. what are the differances between the shafts? cause i just thought if i used a 3rd member and shafts from the correct axle it would work. i guess i was wrong
Well, I was thinking Taco shafts, which are differnt from 4cyl to 6cyl, but only in 2wd versions, so I could be incorrect.

BrettM will know more on the early Toy axles than I do. Shoot him a PM, or wait until he responds.

Fergie

Just pull a shaft and check the splines. Some were 27 spline. Also measure the spring perch width on the MJ and then see where they end up on the toy. An early axle may be to narrow between the backing plate.

if it's 85 and earlier it is only 55" wide and won't fit. If it's 86-95ish it will be 58.5" wide and barely fit. What I mean by barely is that you will have to run about 3 inch backspacing or less with a 15x8 and 12.50 tire and it will still rub the frame a just a little. If it's 95ish and later it will be 60" wide and a good cantidate. I don't know jack about the 8" shafts with 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. If you get the 6 lug shafts redrilled for 5 on 4.5 you will also need to get the center flange turned down to fit the hole in a 5 on 4.5 wheel.

BrettM said:
If you get the 6 lug shafts redrilled for 5 on 4.5 you will also need to get the center flange turned down to fit the hole in a 5 on 4.5 wheel.

The studs end up falling off the edge of the center hole in the drum. The only way to redrill to 5x4.5 is to convert to disks.

Back