• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Forget 44s and 8.8s...lets talk Toyotas

thinking maybe just grap a taco rear with 4.10's, slap on some spacers/adapters in the rear, slap some spacers on the front and run stock wheels.... may be one of the cheaper routes if I can actually find one with a reasonable price......

it would be cheaper to get 2 pairs of wheels with different bolt-patterns and get just one adapter in-case you ever need the spare tire. or use it as a good excuse to swap a D44 front (what I did :D ). Lincoln had a Taco rear with the normal diff and 5 on 4.5 bolt-pattern, I didn't know such an animal existed until I saw it, he may still have it for sale, I would consider this to be THE best (non-custom) axle for anyone keeping the D30 front.

Re: Forvot 44s and 8.8sn$.lets talk Toyotas

Hey Fergie.....let me know if you decide to do this or nedd mîze measurements.....I work `t an%import rrecking yard down here and have a ton of toyta axles laying around, that I can�probably pick up for diBt cheap...

Fergie said:
The supid ass Lincoln just redrilled his 6 lug to 5.

Most, 90%, of my toyo axle info is from Lincoln. I have a bunch of pics of the process he did, and info. If you need it, then ask me and I'll PM you.

He gets cranky.

Fergie

How did I miss this thread?

I just wish you were closer so I could thump you in the head. :D

I'm working on putting all that crap and research together. I also came up with my own way to wire the e-locker. Works with a standard on/off switch and no resistors. Seems a little easy to do also.

And yes, I still have that 5x4.5 axle laying around. You won't find an e-locker in that pattern though, which is why I didn't end up using it.

the e-lockers are the 8" diff, Lincoln has the Tacoma (aka 8.4) diff. the shafts have the same splines, so it may be possible to get it to work together, but it's not a bolt together operation.

If you find a TRD axle with e-locker, your best bet would be to get the whole axle and get those shafts redrilled.

thanks for the compliment, I've been very happy with how well my truck works

yeah... that is what I was thinking... only I like my current (factory) wheels, so Just use spacers/adapters and not even worry about re-drilling.....

those axles are pricy for sure.... expecially when I consider having to regear everythong to 4.88...... been looking around online and the best I can find is $800.... I hope to find something locally somewhat affordable.....

Fergie said:
You'll either need to find a 2x4 V6, swap 3rds, and add a Detroit/arb/lockright or you will need to find a 4x4 e-locker version, convert to discs, and redrill to 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.

HTH

Fergie

Bingo.

Some facts:
Every Tacoma axle I have measured is 60-60.5".

2x4 V-6 Tacoma has 30 spline shafts, 5x4.5 pattern, and the smaller roughly 10x2 brakes. The stud pattern as well as the stud size on the third member differs from the 8" toy axle.

2x4 4 cyl Tacomas has smaller (don't know the sizes) 27 spline shafts and 5x4.5 pattern.

Anything with an e-locker is the 8" toy housing.

It's not a simple redrill on the shafts to obtain the 5x4.5 pattern. The center hole of the toyota brakes (12" flavor) is about 4.25". This leaves every stud about 1/2 way out of the drum. Even if you felt that was acceptable the center of the shaft would still have to be cut flush with the drum so the wheel would fit. This is why I chose to convert to disks. Everyone is using 1/2 ton Chevy rotors and hogging the center hole out to fit over the axle. I had the center of the shaft cut to fit inside the rotor, then redrilled the shaft. The back side of the shaft has to be cut some to make room for the stud heads also. Converting to disks also makes it so you don't have to carry the brakes (or just backing plate) on the spare shafts.

No all the Toyotas have the axle seal in the same place. Some have ABS tone rings whether they have ABS or not which moves the seal inward. The regular non ABS shafts won't work in those housing because the non ABS shafts tapper quicker and the collar can't be made to line up.

Sorry I'm tired of typing.

has anybody tried swapping the 5 lug (v6 2wd) taco shafts into a 6lug (v6) 4 runner 8" housing ???????

MC-92 said:
has anybody tried swapping the 5 lug (v6 2wd) taco shafts into a 6lug (v6) 4 runner 8" housing ???????

I tried to swap the 2x4 v-6 ('98) shafts into a 2002 prerunner housing with the electric lock. The electric lock housings were still the 8" housings at that time. The largest problem I had was the ABS tone ring. Even though both were non-abs the 2002 housing had the tone ring which moves the placement of the outter axle seal. The seal rides on the retaining collar which ended up being about an 1" off.

Also if I remember right there was about 1/4-1/2 difference in length. I don't know if that was due to the ABS stuff or not. You would have to measure the shafts to be safe.

Remind me next week to post a few pictures. I'm packing right now to go visit the parents and won't be back until Sunday.

I was chatting with Von at Rocklogic about this just this afternoon. Seemed like a SWEET way to chuck the D35........(and you don't get the cool c-clips of the 8.8). They have it all worked out and under an XJ at the shop (along with a sweet long arm kit).

www.rocklogic4x4.com

Got time to talk to Von but not return my call.............nice.

Only downside I see is if you run a stock BS's wheel, the Toy diff that he's running puts the tires too close to the leaves. This could easily be solved with a 1.5"billet adapter to space the rear track width out or some 3.75" BSed wheels.

HoodRichXJ said:
Can some one guide me in the right direction on these toyota swaps. The Rocklogic site didnt really offer up much help, and i seem to find conflicting information from everyone.
what do you want to know?

here are the basics:

1. get 60" wide Toyota axle from 4runner or Tacoma
2. relocate spring perches and shockmounts
3. convert brakelines to metric by reflaring or adapters
4. get 1310 flange for driveshaft from High Angle Driveline

most are 6 lug (6 on 5.5) so they work well with a front D44 swap. there are some 2wd V6 ones that supposedly have 5 on 4.5 like an XJ and are the same 8" diff, but I have never seen one. If you go looking for one of those, just beware of the 7.5" diff.

Back