• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford rear 8.8 swap/conversion

Will a mustang out of a 95 Mustang work for the 8.8 swap in a XJ? I know the axle is a smaller 28 spline not a big deal to me. I also know it doesn't come with 4.10 gears. But I own a Mustang performance shop just outside of St Louis (Mustang Muscle Performance) and I have 8.8 axles laying around I could use in my XJ. I also have 4.10 and 4.56 gears laying around I could swap in it. And later down the road I could always do 31 spline axles for next to nothing! Is there anything I'm missing? Seems to obvious to me. But I'm afraid I'm missing something here I may be overlooking.

I didn't read through the complete thread....

Will a mustang out of a 95 Mustang work for the 8.8 swap in a XJ? I know the axle is a smaller 28 spline not a big deal to me. I also know it doesn't come with 4.10 gears. But I own a Mustang performance shop just outside of St Louis (Mustang Muscle Performance) and I have 8.8 axles laying around I could use in my XJ. I also have 4.10 and 4.56 gears laying around I could swap in it. And later down the road I could always do 31 spline axles for next to nothing! Is there anything I'm missing? Seems to obvious to me. But I'm afraid I'm missing something here I may be overlooking.

If you are going to install gears, might as well get a 31-spl carrier and some shafts to go along with it. You will need to install correct perches and mounts and such, so I really do not see why not. People mostly go for the 96-up Exploder 8.8 as they come from the factory with 31-spl and discs. Since the cost is minimal to purchase the extra items, why not just do it once and be done?

whats the width on a Mustang rear end? that might be the only concern.

Width is different IIRC, I checked into it a while ago. CV ones are wayyyyy wider, too.

I would sell a 'stang one on craigslist, then buy an exploder one at the junkyard for less money. Axles and money are a fungible commodity :laugh2:

If you are going to install gears, might as well get a 31-spl carrier and some shafts to go along with it. You will need to install correct perches and mounts and such, so I really do not see why not. People mostly go for the 96-up Exploder 8.8 as they come from the factory with 31-spl and discs. Since the cost is minimal to purchase the extra items, why not just do it once and be done?
I can take apart a 8.8 in my sleep, so doing it a few times will be nothing to me. I have factory 27 splines in my axle so a 28 spline 8.8 axle will be a upgrade. My main reason behind doing the swap is for the better braking not strength.
whats the width on a Mustang rear end? that might be the only concern.
The Mustang 8.8 out of the 94-96 mustang is around 62.250. So it is a little wider then the explorer but I would think that would be a good thing. Whats your guys thoughts?
Width is different IIRC, I checked into it a while ago. CV ones are wayyyyy wider, too.

I would sell a 'stang one on craigslist, then buy an exploder one at the junkyard for less money. Axles and money are a fungible commodity :laugh2:

Mustang axles around here go for very little maybe $100-150. Theres so many it is difficult to get any money for them. Local salvage yards ask around $350 for a 8.8 explorer rearend. What does IIRC mean? I wouldn't even dare try to put a IRS in it that would be a poor build. We can't get them to live under a 03-04 cobra I can't see them doing anything for crawling. Plus it would have no flex.

sorry, IIRC = if I recall correctly.

I'm not recommending an IRS setup, no way, I totally agree on that.

I'm surprised mustang rears go that cheap, I figured they'd be more expensive. Around here an explorer 8.8 goes for 100 to 130 at the yards I go to.

Mattcstang, last weekend was your chance. Pick N Pull had their Memorial day sale. Picked up a dana 30 hp front axle complete for $50. They had many explorers there. You can try speedway salvage across the riverside which is very close to PNP. I have an 8.8 in my cherokee if you want to drive across the county to see it. Grew up just past Dittmer on Zimmerman Rd. Any questions, pm me and Ill try to help. Many of these guys could build a cherokee in their sleep.

I would like to jump in this post if I may. About 4 years ago I did the 8.8 swap and installed a drum and Lincoln locked it. Loved it and wheeled 3 sets of tires off of it in tough Arizona terrain.

I have upgraded and just swapped in a disc 8.8 with limited slip (I want to go back to mall crawling my rig), with ability to sustain an occasional challenging trail.

Everything is complete and works well...but I did the recommended ZJ ebrake lines and they are about 5-6" too short. Not only the ends that tie into the ebrake handle, but the mounts on the underbody are short of reaching as well. Did I miss something? I guess I should have ordered the set from East Coast Gear Supply. How do I finish this? Anyway to use the ZJ setup still? Other options?

http://s899.photobucket.com/user/DaYeep/slideshow/Axle with discs

Last edited:
Took back the NAPA ZJ cables and ordered the ones from ECGS.

Last time I was at the yard on State street north of Fruitvale they had an exploder with an 8.8 with disks for $250. I can help you out with the welding and gear work.

I picked up an 8.8 with 4.10 and lsd got all the brackets on and ready for the XJ just looking for what you guys have used for brake lines on the axle and the t block.

Two passenger side Explorer lines and whatever body to axle line you had already... the XJ (and all commonly swapped) rubber brake hoses have two ports.

Then just measure length for the path you need the steel line to follow and buy preflared 3/16 steel brake line at the parts store with SAE threaded invert flare fittings. Bend it to shape, install it, done.

Tack weld nuts to the axle tubes to bolt the caliper soft lines to... oh and make sure none of the brake lines will get smashed by the bumpstops.

So I'm definitely a newbie, but I picked up a cheap 4.10 8.8 axle and want to give this a shot. Unfortunately, I don't know how to weld and don't have any friends that know how to weld. Do you know anywhere I can take the axle to get perches and shock mounts welded on? I'm installing a RC 4.5 x lift and don't have an SYE. I'd take it to a weld shop, but I don't know what angle to set the pinion and at what positions the shock and spring perches should go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back