• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For those who have or want to coat rockers with bed liner/herc

ThE HiV

NAXJA Forum User
So I want to coat basically the rockers, and the bottom of my doors down with bed liner. basically everything underneath the rubber strip on the early 90's XJ's. and my rear bumber.

I got a gallon of this:

41N9QGSHSGL._AA280_.jpg

I have used it before, and really like the texture, and how it holds up. I think it will look good. Any way, I have always used the spray cans. I want to spray the gallon, not roll it on. spraying looks so much better.

I am wondering what the correct set up to do this is, and the right pressure etc. I am pretty sure duplicolor makes a gun for applying this. I have a small compressor ( i think between 20 and 30 gallon) , would this be large enough for the job. Has any one every sprayed this or something similar? what did you use? how did it come out? any good method of taping it off, and when to remove the tape.

any help would be great.

I tried spraying some bed liner and had all sorts of problems with the gun clogging. we had the duplicolor gun and followed the directions that came with it but ended up rolling it on. the gun clogged very fast and to a point where clumps were coming out the gun nozzle kinda like the popcorn ceiling stuff

I used the same stuff in rattle cans and it worked great. Didn't need to mess with mixing it and trying to make it come out of a gun. Thats what I would recommend.

Muddy90XJ said:
I used the same stuff in rattle cans and it worked great. Didn't need to mess with mixing it and trying to make it come out of a gun. Thats what I would recommend.

In the past I have always used the spray cans, and they work great. but I got this gallon as a gift, and would like to use it. if someone has ever sprayed this stuff with any success, please let me know.
maybe a different gun than the duplicolor model??

i did the bed of my old truck and had somewhat of the same experience with it clogging the gun. it turned out alright but not as good as i would want if i were doing something as important as the entire exterior....

and you should be prepared to use more than you think...one gallon might not be enough

too bad, sounds like everyone has crappy results if they try to spray the gallon jugs. I did the roof of my XJ and it came out great using the spray cans. however, that gets expensive, and starts to hurt your finger after the 4th can.

ill keep trying to find any info on spraying these duplicolor gallons. hopefully someone who knows more about it sees this thread

Mine was sprayed with a paint gun using Morton's Bedliner. I know people who have sprayed their rigs with the SEM stuff with similar results. It has held up pretty good for the 4 years but there are spots where I did not prep well (pretty much only on the roof) have not held up so I stress the prep work.

Here is a pic of my junk

bumperfront.jpg

BastardPackFlex1.jpg

You need to use a Schutz gun (undercoat gun).\

I did the bed of my dad's truck with the duplicolor stuff, and it turned out great. I had no issues with clogging. I se the pressure at 35 - 40 psi.

I have also used Gator Guard II and Hippoliner and had the same results texture wise. I personaly like these products better than the Duplilicolor because they are a 2 part epoxy (stronger) and the Duplicolor is a pre mix.

Good luck,

smurf

The%20Stuff.JPG

Gator%20Tracker.JPG

I did the bed of my dad's truck with the duplicolor stuff, and it turned out great. I had no issues with clogging. I se the pressure at 35 - 40 psi.

I have also used Gator Guard II and Hippoliner and had the same results texture wise. I personaly like these products better than the Duplilicolor because they are a 2 part epoxy (stronger) and the Duplicolor is a pre mix.

Good luck,

smurf

Gator Guard II

The%20Stuff.JPG

Gator%20Tracker.JPG

Last edited:
i used Duplicolor and rolled it on four different jeeps i need to get one of those spray guns (where?) and try it thats way, but so far the roll on looks great and holds up very well! as for the rattle can thats another story

polar_jeep_04 said:
i used Duplicolor and rolled it on four different jeeps i need to get one of those spray guns (where?) and try it thats way, but so far the roll on looks great and holds up very well! as for the rattle can thats another story

amazon.com has the duplicolor gun.

cablesmurf said:

Good luck,

smurf

X2 The Mortons ans SEM products that I am used to working with are also 2 part. I have seen the Duplicolor stuff as well and it is definitely not the same quality as the aforementioned products but better than the Herculiner. Do it once do it right and you wont regret it.

so duplicolor is better than herc?Thats a new one.......
I used the aerosol duplicolor one time on the floor pan of my old 86xj and it liked to flake.Could've been the prep work,but I thought I prepped it pretty damn good.

Anyone use the plasticoat bedliner yet?

Last edited:
I don't mind the Aerosol Duplicolor for touch ups, but that's it. i would never waste my time doing a large area with it. It is too thin and smooth. It would take alot of aeosols to get a nice thick coat and way too much money.

$69 home depot, get the drywall texture guns they sell, fill the hopper with your material, set the gun up to spray very little material and lots of air. nice light orange peel texture alot like real bedliner texture., easy cleanup

works great

Back