• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FIRST TURBO XJ - you'll be shocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

urban yan

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so it looked like crap, it made so much power (360whp) that it suffered from wheel hop, and it sold on ebay July 2007 for $3600usd
Long story short, somebody bought this XJ as a donor for their wrangler. It originally sat in a barn for lord knows how long, and nobody really knew much about it aside from the odd looking engine (for an XJ) and extended front header panel. However, one of the engineers was apprised of the auction, and he chimed in with all the juicy details behind this project:

First off, I want to say that I never thought I would see that thing again, and I'm saddened to see the condition. I was part of the engineering team that worked on the GNX program in 85-87. I also worked on the redesign of the engine for the 89 model that appeared in the 30th edition Trans Am. The vehicle you have originally was powered by a crate gnX engine. I'm sure you have read about the lucky 547' that made their way into gnX vehicles, but there were 585 complete gnX engines from ASC after production was complete. 26 of which were crated up by GM and stored. The 12 remaining engines were used by us for future research. In 1988, we had 4 complete engines left, still in the foam. Doug ***** (the owner of the blue cherokee) talked his was into getting one of the engines for himself. Instead of just putting the engine in as its stock form, he decided to dismantle it and add the options we were not allowed to do due to GM power/emissions concerns for the general release. The heads you see on your engine are from the first run 1989 20th edition Trans Am, And they were modified. I do not remember the work done to them. The cam was reworked (I do not remember the specs, but it was cross drilled) but even the stock cams could handle a LOT of abuse. With the cam work, we had to put in a high volume oil pump, we also used flat topped forged pistons. We also put on some very large injectors, and a very over sized fuel pump It took Doug a couple years to perfect the jeep, and when he was done with it, he of course took it to the dyno. It yielded just over 360 HP at the rear wheels. One issue it did have was wheel hop. I'm not sure if he ever put in bars to prevent that or not. In four wheel drive, it was turning 13 second times at the dragway. Oh the history with that jeep. I have photos of the build in my storage facility, I may drive down to get them so you can see what it looked like when we were done with it. But more importantly, I would like to come look at it before you sell it. If this would have popped up for sale 5 or 6 years ago, I would want to purchase it, and restore it. Arthritis has taken its toll on me, and I cannot use my hands like I used to. I'm going to pass this auction on to the others who helped work on it, and hopefully one of them can pick it up. If you get a chance, please call me at 248-851-**** because I would love to come take a look at that beast.

GNX-01.jpg

GNX-02.jpg

GNX-03.jpg

talk about a barn find

urban yan said:
Nobody else mentioned this Jeep in the street section, so I fail to see it as old news. However, if you'd like to contribute something more informative with your second post than be my guest.

Some heavyweight you are, Mr 38 Posts. :gag:

Whar is teh tech value?

urban yan said:
Nobody else mentioned this Jeep in the street section, so I fail to see it as old news. However, if you'd like to contribute something more informative with your second post than be my guest.

Ahh, yer funny. Yea, second post under this user name I guess. And if ya didn't have to pay to post crap, I might post more.

Don't get your thong tied around you butt hairs junior.

There has been tons of talk about that thing over the past...I dunno...quite a while. It didn't sit in a barn for years and years and the person that had it in the barn actually did some work on it and it was driven last summer.

Welcome to NAXJA... Nice reading... Do you have more on this? Not all the people here are ASSHOLES.. sorry you had to meet so many today....

ECKSJAY said:
Some heavyweight you are, Mr 38 Posts. :gag:

Whar is teh tech value?

first off, I've been here since 2005, but I spent most of my time posting on JF
second, I'm tired of arguing.
third, I just wanted to keep things positive.
fourth, there's enough people trashing street Jeeps, I really hoped in wouldn't come to that in the street jeep section
fifth, if you don't see the tech value of somebody dropping in one of GM's most notorious V6 engines into an XJ... well, I'm sorry.

urban yan said:
first off, I've been here since 2005, but I spent most of my time posting on JF
How could I tell?
second, I'm tired of arguing.
You're in Canada...that's all you're good at. Well, that and clubbing baby seals or hockey.
third, I just wanted to keep things positive.
I'd like world peace. And a pony!
fourth, there's enough people trashing street Jeeps, I really hoped in wouldn't come to that in the street jeep section
On the innertubes? Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. :)
fifth, if you don't see the tech value of somebody dropping in one of GM's most notorious V6 engines into an XJ... well, I'm sorry.
404 Tech Not Found, eh?

ECKSJAY said:
How could I tell?
You're in Canada...that's all you're good at. Well, that and clubbing baby seals or hockey.
I'd like world peace. And a pony!
On the innertubes? Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. :)
404 Tech Not Found, eh?
ok dude
I'm not going to contribute to that staggering 7600 post count by getting into a 100 post argument.
I'm afraid you'll have to be a douchebag on another person's time. Regardless, thanks for the series of
elementary insults.... they really added to the tech value of this thread (or any thread for that matter).

pro-rallye said:
damn that is one crazy jeep! i would love to rock that around
tell me about it, it's one hell of a sleeper

urban yan said:
ok dude
I'm not going to contribute to that staggering 7600 post count by getting into a 100 post argument.
I'm afraid you'll have to be a douchebag on another person's time. Regardless, thanks for the series of
elementary insults.... they really added to the tech value of this thread (or any thread for that matter).

Just contributing to your worthless thread and padding my post count at the same time.

I'm not really happy with your name-calling though. :(

wow
generally im not very argumentative, but goddamn.
grow up yall.

nice find! thats a heck of a lot of power to pack in a cherokee

seanyb505 said:
urban your going to get banned again...lol. I do remember reading about that over on jeepforum.
lol. not again :eek:
but, yeah, I posted about this XJ a while back on JF... just trying to spread the wealth here... with a ton of cold recepetion I might add.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back