• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

even cooler..

skidj2x

NAXJA Forum User
2000 xj stock, fresh 4.0 crate lb.. \

upstate ny: arctic winters, tropical summers..

ok, so youre driving down the highway, and its hot out, got the a/c running.. pull off at your exit, pull up to the red light, watch the temp gauge go up, aux fan kicks on etc.. everything is working properly.. but id like to try and lower the under hood temp a little more..

i don't really want to go cutting a bunch of holes in the hood.. vents are really cool and all, but id want a solid hood for the winter and i don't have the space to store an extra hood..

and, id rather not go chopping up my electrical system to swap in a big electric fan..

whos got some ideas?

so, you want cooler under hood temps, but you don't want to do anything that you have to do to get cooler temperatures?

sounds like your in a pickle to me

edit:
I suppose you could space the rear of your hood up a bit to increase air flow...I think that might be your only option

Could check this out.... No cutting needed really. Should be all plug and play for the most part. http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/feat...onversion-kit/

ill have to read through this, looks pretty cool..

so, you want cooler under hood temps, but you don't want to do anything that you have to do to get cooler temperatures?

i like to roll down my window too, but i don't want to use a hammer to do it..

if your engine coolant temp isnt overheating, then whats the worry? what are you looking to accomplish with lower under hood temps?

with the a/c running, you lose enough mpg.. trying to eliminate excess draw on the engine to offset..

Thunderstorms, snow, ice, and even the car wash, hood vents cause no problems.

The dirtbound e-fan kit works great.

make sure you have changed your coolant, thermostat, water pump....this will keep under the hood temps a little cooler... then if not satisfied you can put a switch on you electric fan to override the 218 degree sensor

When i did my trans cooler my temps went down a touch for the motor as well , it runs from trans to temp sensor to filter to cooler to radiator exchanger back to trans with an fittings and new hose.
The filter is a big spin on wix 51515 to add volume Wich is also what i use on the motor.
Cooler trans = longer life

It went down another touch when i did a csf 3 row hd radiator.

It runs under the normal 210 and then warms up to 210 after being run hard or on a hot or long driving day.

I never had mine overheat anyway even with my stock setup even though a lot of my grill is covered by my warn 8274.
I only upgraded the radiator because the old one failed .
And the cooler setup was done when i got out of hand replacing leaky trans lines , i tow also so the cooler seemed smart.

Last edited:
I dont get this thread..

everything works as it should.. never overheats I was just wondering what kind of non-hack or chop ideas you guy might have for keeping the engine.. cooler

I run the dirt bound shroud, I sourced my own fans and fan relay. I did the system for 130.00 nice setup and it does a fantastic job cooling.

I just put two 18x12 hood vents that are pretty well open and have had no issues with water. Even through a week of serious fl thunderstorms. I was hesitant bc of all the neg reads but has worked out great and cost me like $30

Back