• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Impact Wrenches!

I've been thinking about getting one, but I use impact only occasionally. Therefore, it would be easier for me to use (like on flywheel/flexplate screws, for instance.) An electrical cord is more flexible than an air hose, and if I go cordless, well, I've been wanting to upgrade a few other things anyhow.

If you're going to use it a lot, get an air-driven one (it will work rather better.) However, if you're only going to use it every now and again, it will probably be easier to get a cordless one (and it can come in handy at the junkyard anyhow...)

Air is on my list as well - but that's for other tools that are easier to use with air (like cutoff wheels, air wrenches, and the like.) As usual, it's getting "the right tool for the job" - and most people I've talked to who don't like their electric impacts use them all the time - which is better served with air power than electric (since air tools don't overheat. Electric tools can and do - and they have less power as they heat up. Basic quirk of electricity...)

I have an El Cheapo Chicago Electric from Harbor Freight that I actaully bought second hand about 6 years ago. I use it ALOT and love it. When it starts feeling low on power I replace the brushes and it works like new.

1/2'' IMPACT WRENCH WITH CASE
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
45252.gif
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]240 Ft. Lbs. of Torque[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]High power 7 amp motor loosens bolts with 240 ft. lbs. of torque. Rocker switch for one hand forward/reverse. [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]
  • Drive: 1/2''
  • Volts: 120
  • Amps: 7
  • Impacts per minute: 2400 BPM
  • Maximum speed: 2100 RPM
  • Maximum Torque: 240 ft. lbs.
  • Length: 9-1/4''
  • Tool weight: 7-1/4 lbs.
  • Shipping weight: 8.4 lbs.
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
ITEM 45252-1VGA

$79.99 $49.99

[/FONT]

makita cordless 1/2" its money. worth every cent, perfect for the trail as a backup to oba. batt lasts a good eight hour day if charged 10-12 hrs. I use two batterys just in case.

Friend at work got a cordless snap on. It got alot of power and the batterys charge in about 30 mins. He bought his then they came out with an HO model that puts down 620. Here snap on website for the impact.

http://www.motherofallcordlessimpactwrenches.com/

i use the milwaukee cordless at work now and then and it has some good hooch behind it, busts up to one inch bolts without much problem. only problem is that is it rather large and bulky. it is not my first choice as i would rather have my air, but it works good and i don't mind it when i have to though

89XJPIG said:
I have an El Cheapo Chicago Electric from Harbor Freight that I actaully bought second hand about 6 years ago. I use it ALOT and love it. When it starts feeling low on power I replace the brushes and it works like new.

1/2'' IMPACT WRENCH WITH CASE
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
45252.gif
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]240 Ft. Lbs. of Torque[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]High power 7 amp motor loosens bolts with 240 ft. lbs. of torque. Rocker switch for one hand forward/reverse. [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]
  • Drive: 1/2''
  • Volts: 120
  • Amps: 7
  • Impacts per minute: 2400 BPM
  • Maximum speed: 2100 RPM
  • Maximum Torque: 240 ft. lbs.
  • Length: 9-1/4''
  • Tool weight: 7-1/4 lbs.
  • Shipping weight: 8.4 lbs.
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
ITEM 45252-1VGA

$79.99 $49.99

[/FONT]

I have the same thing and also have air on hand. I use the electric more than the air for things like rotating tires and such. I also have a dewalt 1/4" impact drive with 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drivers. I love this thing, when you want to spin down nuts and bolts quickly its great. Saves alot of time when dealing with locknuts. I have air, and only turn the compressor on when I am tackling big jobs or need the extra hit of an air impact.

I have an 18v Ryobi Impact
I love it, use it for everything under the sun, including drilling holes

It's not a tool to use for everyday tire/removal and stuff that you should use air tools for, but It does have enough power to remove body bolts off an Xterra (used to own one before the Jeep)

Did I just say a dirty word? :)

I have an electric from black and decker indusrtial, same as dewalt and love it! lots of juice and takes an ass kickin to boot. Just bought the dewalt 18v cordless, and its just as nice, not as much juice but great for working on mid to small stuff

i have used a dewalt corded, snap on cordless and numerous pneumatic. i must say, that the air ones work ALOT better, the cordless snap on worked pretty good for smaller stuff, and the dewalt was so-so. i suppose for more occasional use or smaller nuts and electric would be fine. but don't expect it to be something its not.

I have the H.F. one as well and it's the best $50 I've spent on a single tool. I also spent an extra $5 for the extended warranty, so that when the brushes start going out, they'll just give me a new one. That's even cheaper than the cost of the brushes.

I own a dewalt 18v 1/2...it has power, but a co-workers 14.4v snap on runs circles around mine.....they are great for getting dirty looks at the junk yards....

The new IR lithium's are really sweet. More than enough power, and really light...

get one of those....

Justin

Back