• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-code H4 headlight conversion with comparison pics Cheaper than Silverstars

I finally got my replacement housing in today along with another set for my jeep. Drove around the other night with just the one good housing and one sealed beam. Wow what a difference, cant wait to get the other side put in. On the wifes I put the 100/90's along with a harness. Mine is only getting the 65/55's for now until I get another harness.

I got my autopal lights, my 90/100 bulbs, some 4 prong 30amp relays and plenty of 12ga wire...

QUESTION: Can I just use 3 female yellow crimp connectors to plug onto the bulb? (one high, low and ground) Or do you guys think it better somehow to buy the H4 plug pigtail?

Would Napa or autozone or advance have these?

Thanks for your input!

Red97XJ said:
I got my autopal lights, my 90/100 bulbs, some 4 prong 30amp relays and plenty of 12ga wire...

QUESTION: Can I just use 3 female yellow crimp connectors to plug onto the bulb? (one high, low and ground) Or do you guys think it better somehow to buy the H4 plug pigtail?

Would Napa or autozone or advance have these?

Thanks for your input!
That should be fine, I would get insulated ones though.

Otherwise, I would just get the sockets. As per GoJeep's recommendation, I ordered my sockets from http://www.comagination.com/

Super fast shipping, great quality and held 10 gauge cable just fine.

I have the IPF H4 conversion lenses that I bought for 90 a pair from rocky-road.com. They feel very sturdy and rugged. The beam pattern is pretty much the same as in the pictures above. The improvement from a pair of silverstar sealed beams is incredible. The documentation (I don't have it in front of me) says they can handle a 180w lamp if memory serves but I have a standard 55/60w lamp in now because I haven't had time to upgrade the wiring harness yet.

just came in from my install, I did the headlights, homebrew wiring harness with 2 30amp relays, all 12ga wire and some 90/100 bulbs...

WOW!

I have 4-100 on roof and this rivals 2 of them, but not as pencil beam, just puts light everywhere.

every vehicle should have these style lights.

to compare the old and new, (OLD) it is the same as someone standing 20 feet away from you with a 150w work halogen light pointing straight at your eyes, they can't see very well and your blind, now for the NEW lights, it is like someone standing 20 feet away with a 500w halagen work light pointed slightly down so I can't see the bulb, but we can both easily see the ground..... well, its really better than that.

Can you tell I like these lights?

You mean you Dont want to blind all the other drivers? Wow! You must not be from around here (Cincinnati area) seems like all the drivers around here are trying their best to blind oncomming traffic. I see a lor of YJ/TJs that have their off-road factory lights lit up on the highway. you DONT need them on! Turn them off! Most SUV's and cars have 4 headlights now anyways. I saw someone the other week with a '00-02 XJ with 2 Hella lights on a pre-runner bar. TURN THEM OFF!! Whats wrong with these people?

i just got these lights and a harness as well will be installing soon. I looked at the housings though and it seems almost like i've recieved 2 left headlights... i didnt think headlights are directional but these kind of appear to be.. anyone notice anything similar in the lens? is this ok? looks like it wuold blind the hell out of the oncomming lane

Both are the same. It is patterned to direct a larger wedge of light to the passengers side (in the usa) roadside.

The wedge also shines the oposite direction than it leads you to believe by looking at the glass. Threw me at first to, but once installed I could see it was correct.

Mine are like that as well, to be honest i have yet to drive the Jeep and check them out. I quickly backed it out of the driveway and gave them a quicky adjustment and it didnt appear to affect the pattern. With noone else who has been running these mentioning it perhaps there is not a issue?

Also, why are some guys using such high wattage bulbs? I bought the standard 55/60w and see an improvement. I plan to install 55/100w at a later date, but i dont see why one would need an 80 or 90w lowbeam...espescfially with a harness upgrade.

andyr354 said:
Both are the same. It is patterned to direct a larger wedge of light to the passengers side (in the usa) roadside.

The wedge also shines the oposite direction than it leads you to believe by looking at the glass. Threw me at first to, but once installed I could see it was correct.

OOOOPs...mine sound like they are updide down. The wedge points to the pass side then?

John B said:
OOOOPs...mine sound like they are updide down. The wedge points to the pass side then?

that whole pass side traingle description threw me too. mine says autopal right side up on both though so i guess its ok.

Is black electric tape the only way to make it fit more snug? wouldn't the tape melt? mine are almost perfect, just a little bit loose on one side

what points did you guys use to ground the bulbs? the harness i used didnt have much slack to find a good spot, i think there was really only one place it could go.. problem is they just screw into the sheetmetal body not the motor or anything i think they're weak grounding points cause the left one was pretty weak at first, had to put a washer on the screw to get it brighter.

Yeah, the AutoPal is upright on mine also i believe. We probably misunderstood the post. :dunno:

The elec tape was the easiest & quickest fix i could think of. I also didnt want to deal with a spacer that could fall out. My housing doesnt get no where near warm enough to melt the tape.

miketyson said:
that whole pass side traingle description threw me too. mine says autopal right side up on both though so i guess its ok.

Is black electric tape the only way to make it fit more snug? wouldn't the tape melt? mine are almost perfect, just a little bit loose on one side

what points did you guys use to ground the bulbs? the harness i used didnt have much slack to find a good spot, i think there was really only one place it could go.. problem is they just screw into the sheetmetal body not the motor or anything i think they're weak grounding points cause the left one was pretty weak at first, had to put a washer on the screw to get it brighter.

The triangle is a prism to bend a small amount of the light up towards signs on the side of the road. You can see this in my Pictures it's a little check mark stem shape shootong up over the mail box. The TRIANGLE ITSELF is on the RIGHT side of the housing for BOTH housings (standing outside facing your car) or you can think of it as pointing to the drivers side when sitting inside. The prism refracts light to the opposite side. ope that clears that up.

The lights are just like sealed beams fit wise... if your aluminum bezel or mounting ring is all flogged out from years of stress the four mounting screw tabs will be bent back and wont hold anything snug. So bend them toward you so the screws force them to flex backward (thus tightening the ring back on the housing)..

HTH

1bolt said:
The lights are just like sealed beams fit wise... if your aluminum bezel or mounting ring is all flogged out from years of stress the four mounting screw tabs will be bent back and wont hold anything snug. So bend them toward you so the screws force them to flex backward (thus tightening the ring back on the housing)..

HTH

thats that outside of the box thinking.. thanks

So.....I've never bought these....been saving up funds. Should I keep saving and upgrade the harness and get the WHITE 100/90W bulbs for the extra $6?

I mean just to get the extra wattage bulbs for $6 more is a deal right? I'd eventually want to upgrade anyway right? Build my own harness or buy the one from Summit?

Back