• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drag Racer

88 Honcho

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody had any expeirence with setting up a cherokee for drag racing? nothing crazy just something to have with on the weekends maybe looking at a 13sec run or something a little respectable

They tend to go quick quite well. With sticky tires the stock rear suspension geometry provided by the leaf springs gives good bite. Most people make more of an issue of the brick-like aerodynamics than you actually get on the track.

There's calculators that will show ideal ET and MPH for a given weight and HP that don't take aerodynamics into consideration. Mine always runs the same MPH the calcs show despite the brick shape.

To get it quick, there's all the usual options. Motor swaps, nitrous, turbo or supercharging. Start with the free mod, weight reduction. Every 100 lbs is worth a tenth.

Weight reduction & forced induction...
Also - no replacement for displacement.
The sensible compromise between these opposing paradigms of go-fastness is to chop all the weight you are able, build a 4.7 stroker with 99 intake and 68 mm TB, add an Avenger supercharger and SBC valves to a Hesco aluminum head.
Then get some of those 28x11.50 tires that Interco (interco? do I remember this right?) puts out so you can maximize rubber contact at launch...
Wild @$$ guess is that you'd be putting down 400 horse at the crank.

yossarian19 said:
Weight reduction & forced induction...
Also - no replacement for displacement.
The sensible compromise between these opposing paradigms of go-fastness is to chop all the weight you are able, build a 4.7 stroker with 99 intake and 68 mm TB, add an Avenger supercharger and SBC valves to a Hesco aluminum head.
Then get some of those 28x11.50 tires that Interco (interco? do I remember this right?) puts out so you can maximize rubber contact at launch...
Wild @$$ guess is that you'd be putting down 400 horse at the crank.

I've desktop dyno'd a simmilar combo, made a little under 400 horse at the crank, at 5200 too 5500, and made OVER 400 ft/lbs from 2000 to 5500

the nice thing about the cherokee is that could buy a nice set of MT or Hoosier slicks and leave them in the back and change them at the track. It is an option I dont have with the camaro, unless you trailer it there it is run what you brung

Back