• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributor squealing.. what should I replace it with?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 4.0 XJ with only 69,000 on it. The other night my XJ started making a squeeling noise for about 30 seconds to a minute when you start the engine cold. The noise only happens when cold. This morning I traced the noise to the distributor... you can feel it vibrate.

I have a new cap and rotor that are about 3 months old. Should I replace these a second time with the new distributor?

Isn't 69k a bit premature for something like a distributor to fail?

I went to NAPA and tool a look at their remanufactured dist. After taking one look at that sorry POS there was no way I would put that into my vehicle. There was an incredible amount of wear marks on it...

So I've decided to bite it in the ass and purchase a new one.

What brand should I go with? OEM? Or are there any good quality performance ones out there? I want something that is going to drop right in without any machining or having anything else modified/replaced for it to fit.

Are there any other parts I should replace while I'm in there?

Sounds like the bushings are shot on the distributor shaft. 69k sounds low for failure to me, mine went at over 200k.

My replacement came with a new cap & rotor.

Factory new cost me $180 but I get a discount.It does come with new cap&rotor .Mine went about 180,000,wifes went about 160,000.
Wayne

Does sound real early for it to fail.....are sure its the dist......mine squeals if theres an elec. load when I start or when I hit a puddle to fast......fan belt slipping on alternator pulley

My 96 needed a new one when I got it at 140k. I was going to replace the busings myself but found the wear was in the shaft. Autozone had one for $54 plus core and it came with the cam position sensor thing. Years ago they had oil caps but now I'm telling my age!

JoBo

dizzymac said:
Does sound real early for it to fail.....are sure its the dist......mine squeals if theres an elec. load when I start or when I hit a puddle to fast......fan belt slipping on alternator pulley
Agreed - from the description it sounded much like the problems I had with a worn (and loose) serpentine belt.

270k on my 97. No distributor problem yet..... Yet! Go OEM it's harder on the wallet in the short run only........ Especially when it comes to MOPAR ignition stuff.................

Back