• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DD/Trail Tire

Which is better for an 80/20 rig? Compare and Contrast.

• Trxus MT

Votes: 35 21.2%
  • MTR

Votes: 42 25.5%
  • BFG MT

Votes: 52 31.5%
  • Other

Votes: 39 23.6%

• Total voters
FWIW, I've run my 31" MT/R's for over a year now. Off-roaded at least once a month in rocks and mud.

Contrary to popular opinion, they do not SUCK in the mud. Folks need to manage their expectations here - they are not, and weren't designed to be, a mud tire.

BFG- M/T - that's a mud tire.

I have yet to be stuck anywhere others weren't getting stuck - regardless of tire. (Most of our club run BFG M/T's, BTW)

MT/R's are outstanding on rocks and quiet on the road. My truck is my DD and I'm about at 60% tread left - they are noisier now, but still the same or slightly less than new BFG M/T's.

They rock in deep snow, never had a single problem in the rain and on hard-packed snow, the dug in nicely. Let's recap my weather over the last 8 months - one hurricane and one blizzard - hurricane flattened trees on roads and dumped 22" of rain in 48 hours. The blizzard dropped 32" of snow in 72 hours - guess who was mobile the whole time...this guy, and his 31" MT/R's. Don't get me wrong, that kind of snow will stop anyone, but half-way through the storm I made a run to the gas station for grub - No issues at all - though I couldn't find my own tire tracks again after 10 minutes...LOL The next day was a different story - there was no way those tires were going to drag my truck through the headlight deep snow...not unless the front tow-hook was attached to a Cat!

Anything short of a dedicated ice-tire will suck with freezing rain and icy road conditions - and well, MT/R's are NOT ice tires - drive slowly and plan every move well in advance. The upside is you can always grab the ditch and be reasonably sure you'll be able to drive back out after avoiding the car in front of you. :)

Sidewalls - very strong - tree limbs, small branches, shale - it all bounces off - well, I've seen some cuts on other MT/R's, but nothing fatal, so the 3-ply sidewalls have certainly proven their worth to me - I won't buy a 2 ply sidewall tire now regardless of cost, etc. (Keep in mind you can rip any tire to shreds by abusing it - heavy throttle in shale will cut chunks from anything. Same thing in fresh cut wooded areas is a recipe for a sidewall puncture.)

Will I buy them (the MT/R's) again? Don't know - they are very pricey, and with local shops offering discounts on other makes I'm termpted to try something else. If I had the coin, or my local GY dealer dropped the price, I'd buy a second set in a heatbeat.

Tires are like personalities - some suck, some rock - go find one you like...:)

right now im loving my mastercraft courser M/T's preform pretty well on all pavement dry or wet... of road is pretty good the only problem i've come across is that in loose soil they tend to dig pretty fast.

Tires I have used -----------
Right now I have bfg mts in the 35" flavor. Great in the rain (not much here), great in the mud and I haven't tried them in rock

On my old jeep I ran 35" trxus and they look awesome and perform pretty awesome as well. Rocks---amazing----(aired down to 10psi I believe), street awesome and much quieter than bfgs but in rain a little more easy to break em loose. Mud they would throw up the roosters pretty good, but to me with the bfgs they would allow me to steer much better in the mud.

With that said I now have grown up and don't like mud near as much. So trxus with their better sidewalls and better performance in what I will do most, such as dry hill climbs and rocks, I will for sure buy them again. I am just waiting to see if they make them in a 37". Rumor on PBB was they were.======Kyle

BlackSport96 said:
Doesn't MT usually mean mud terrain...;)

In BFG speak, MT does mean Mud Terrain, but the Goodyear tires are "Maximum Traction/Reinforced Sidewall. I've run MT/R's for the past few years, and when I go bigger, I'll almost certainly go with another set of MT/R's. They don't hydroplane like my BFG's did, they work better in almost all offroad situations I've been in, the treadwear hasn't been too bad for an offroad tire, and even with about 1/4 tread left in the rear they aren't any louder than the other noises in the Jeep. Overall, I'd rate them 8 of 10, loosing 2 points for the way they plug up in really sticky mud, and for not lasting forever.

Let me offer one more vote for the BFG A/T KO's. I love these freakin' tires! No added vibration/noise over the factory rubber (that I noticed), great traction for dry/wet street, snow, rocks, river crossings, slow pedestrians, and not too bad in the gooey mud if you can keep your speed up...although you might want to roll up the windows. The only thing I've yet to try them in is sand. Also, a buddy of mine with an '00 XJ just replaced his at 65k miles after weekly wheeling in Utah and DD duty. I researched these tires for six months before buying them, and I'll buy them again. Money well spent.

Just one thing: Why does the guy at the tire counter at Sam's Club look at me like I just crapped on his counter when I walk in and say I want this brand, this tire, this size. Please put them on. ?

BruteXJ said:
Let me offer one more vote for the BFG A/T KO's. I love these freakin' tires! No added vibration/noise over the factory rubber (that I noticed), great traction for dry/wet street, snow, rocks, river crossings, slow pedestrians, and not too bad in the gooey mud if you can keep your speed up...although you might want to roll up the windows. The only thing I've yet to try them in is sand. Also, a buddy of mine with an '00 XJ just replaced his at 65k miles after weekly wheeling in Utah and DD duty. I researched these tires for six months before buying them, and I'll buy them again. Money well spent.

Just one thing: Why does the guy at the tire counter at Sam's Club look at me like I just crapped on his counter when I walk in and say I want this brand, this tire, this size. Please put them on. ?
Second

I ran the destination m/t's for a while....great in every thing i through at them, the only down side was the rocks ripped them apart really quick. I'm thinking about the procomp xt's for my next tire.

I voted "Other"

I was running the Yokohama Geolander AT's. With my stock XJ, they were siped. Worked great in all weather. Only problem I had is on a snow run where there was so much ice that I had to chain up. Little while later, I aired down and slowly crawled up the hill. Selling those tires to go bigger.

Bigger: BFG MT's. 32's, non siped. Definately louder. My wife noticed and cared more than myself. Not that bad. I have not tested the tires long enough to give a good opinion.

Back