• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 install

red91

NAXJA Forum User
just put on in this morning and now I have a rubmle coming from underneath.
Wondering what it could be? Drive line looks ok since it was working when I had it in the D-35, and I cannot see how it would go it more than one way with the notch in the teeth for the input shaft.

Any Ideas?
No reply necessary. On the lift it was kinda wierd. Just road tested it(at 65 in a 40) and it worked out great.

Last edited:
U-joint angles? That's especially a concern if the u-joints in there have been around quite awhile since they seem to "break in" at a certain operating angle. Since the pinion is a different height and length now the u-joints are at a differenct angle. Make sure you reshim the rear axle to match the new, correct operating angles.

Yucca-Man said:
U-joint angles? That's especially a concern if the u-joints in there have been around quite awhile since they seem to "break in" at a certain operating angle. Since the pinion is a different height and length now the u-joints are at a differenct angle. Make sure you reshim the rear axle to match the new, correct operating angles.

I didn't think of the u-joint issue, but I did set my perches and shock mounts forward at 4* so that when I go a little higher, I'll just drop my t-case.and it should even out. I THINK...

I had the same problem when I swapped in my 44. Just an FYI I had 2 inches of drop on my tcase and that didn't help. I think axle shims are the only solution.

Hmm, weird.

I did not have this problem, however, I did have my driveshaft shortened 1"...

Last edited:
I put a D44 and 4" of lift in yesterday.
I got 2 miles from the shop when one of my U-joints decided to part company. A new U-joint later and I'm vibration free.

hjeepxj - you shortened your drive shaft 2" ? That seems like a heck of a lot.
I thought the D44 pinion is less than an inch longer, and it's lower so you are only something like 1/2" off.

Chris S said:
I put a D44 and 4" of lift in yesterday.
I got 2 miles from the shop when one of my U-joints decided to part company. A new U-joint later and I'm vibration free.

hjeepxj - you shortened your drive shaft 2" ? That seems like a heck of a lot.
I thought the D44 pinion is less than an inch longer, and it's lower so you are only something like 1/2" off.

Im going to go back and edit, now that I think about it...

I put the 44 in 2 years ago, and I thought it was either 1 or 2"s...and 2"s sounds like a lot...

:dunce:

Back