• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 truss

Ya its been WAY less of a problem then I was led to believe by some of the people in this thread. Yes my truss has got some good scratches and a dent or two but that's because I wheel my rig to its limits, maybe even a little harder then I should. I don't remember ever being in a situation where I couldn't make an obstacle because my truss. Although i don't intentionally try to plow rocks with it either. Who knows, maybe I'm just lucky.

I'd like to see what you guys wheel

This.

No way that would fly around here. Everything on my front axle was scarred to hell. The bottom 3 bolts on the diff cover were basically impossible to remove because the bolt heads were half gone. Ground clearance is a hot commodity.

If you wheel in deserts like the pic you showed in the post with your truss pictures, then I'm sure it works perfectly.

this is what we wheel. and these aren't the gnarliest pictures, just the quickest ones I could find

thats not the same jeep...

i can see the steering in the first pick, but cant make out the bottom of the truss.

and those trails do look very difficult.

lol I can assure you, that both the blue xj and the green xj are mine. same axle under both.

thats not the same jeep...

i can see the steering in the first pick, but cant make out the bottom of the truss.

and those trails do look very difficult.

and lastly, the two trails in the pics are both a 4-4.5 out of 5

and lastly, the two trails in the pics are both a 4-4.5 out of 5

4-4.5 out of 5 what? hello kittys?

(im joking honestly)

compared to what we have around here, those trails look like a dream. im not saying they are easier... dont mistake that. im just saying that in the MW a lot of times the lack of traction doesnt allow you pick a nice line. sometimes pinballing is the only way to go, and every inch of clearance DOES matter. i stand by the statement i made about the fab work, but im with sunburned... that wouldnt fly around here.

I suppose thats probably why it works for me, and might not work for you

This.

No way that would fly around here. Everything on my front axle was scarred to hell. The bottom 3 bolts on the diff cover were basically impossible to remove because the bolt heads were half gone. Ground clearance is a hot commodity.

If you wheel in deserts like the pic you showed in the post with your truss pictures, then I'm sure it works perfectly.

It sounds like you should pick better lines and keep your diff off things. Or purchase one of them fancy gaurds to protect it.

It sounds like you should pick better lines and keep your diff off things. Or purchase one of them fancy gaurds to protect it.

Here in the south it's not always a possibility. It's like crawling on ice down here. Out trails are constantly flowing with water and covered in slick clay and mud. It's very easy to slip off line and become high centered. Diff clearance is a HUGE deal hear.

Same thing in the northeast... and northwest. And everywhere except the bone dry southwest.

I suppose thats probably why it works for me, and might not work for you

again..

although, if I were to do it again, it would be a hi pinion 60 with a truss on top, but I made what I had work. now, almost 4 years later, it still works, and it still works well. it takes the abuse from my 35's and holds up strong.

Same thing in the northeast... and northwest. And everywhere except the bone dry southwest.

I disagree....

clearance is of the utmost importance here as well

there is a reason you don't see a lot of under the axle trusses for rock rigs out here either.

open desert? sure, its easier to get C-C and they aren't looking for as much clearance.

this particular truss may be working for the OP... but it wouldn't work for most.

on a D30, one would be better served sleeving the longside tube than anything else.

Sorry, should have made it clear. I was talking about the whole "no traction, pin it to win it" thing. You guys don't really have that, at least nowhere near as much as we do... the way I usually put it, we have rocks, we have steep rocky hills, and they're all covered in mud and moss. Oh, and trees everywhere that jump out at you, hope you don't like your body panels or mirrors.

Just thought I'd say, I'm still wheeling on this axle. Haha

Back