• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Tech

A simple question about my non disconnect D30....
I own a '90 limited with ABS. Does my stock axles have the larger joints??
Thanks.

spaghettixj said:
A simple question about my non disconnect D30....
I own a '90 limited with ABS. Does my stock axles have the larger joints??
Thanks.

should

both my 91 and 92 with ABS had the 297's

Thanks Ranger...
I was thinking of upgrading my d30 with tj axles but now I know they are the same as mine... I will save my money for some chromoly ones.

so how much trouble am i going to be in with the 30 ,297 joints non disco 4.88s lock rite and 35 x16 boogers lol i guess i should stock up on shafts. I didnt plan it that way just happened ,couldnt pass up the tires for the price

rupert said:
so how much trouble am i going to be in with the 30 ,297 joints non disco 4.88s lock rite and 35 x16 boogers lol i guess i should stock up on shafts. I didnt plan it that way just happened ,couldnt pass up the tires for the price
Make sure you have the caps welded on the u-joints, don't hot rod it while wheelin', and make sure you have some spare shafts.

Your not in trouble, but you'll have to pay to play more than likely.

Les

a radial 35 wouldnt be bad at all, but bias and boggers and 16" wide....good luck

hey les is that one effed up shaft still working for ya?

Ramsey said:
hey les is that one effed up shaft still working for ya?
Yep ... The caps were welded in pretty good by the guy there in Clayton. I can't remember his name ... but he's the one there in town just after you get off the hill. Funny having to play "musical axle shafts" ...

Les

good to hear.

really welding the caps i have heard of this but i thought it was just a 44 problem so the caps wouldnt rotate , is this the same for the 30 and do u just tack them to the ears of your shafts ,

joints are the same on a 30 and 44. welding the caps keeps them from rotating and being spit out.

i have a question, once you do away with the vacuum disconnect, what do you do with the lines? is there a schematic somewhere of where to plug the lines or to loop them back into theirselves?
thanks

edit: i would like to get rid of them all together to transfer to an 88 cherokee that has the lines all ripped off.

Last edited:
kubtastic said:
On changing the dana 30 from disconnect to non-disconnect, where is this seal #11771 supposed to go on the passenger side tube, because I'm concerned that it might not be where later-model axle shafts are machined for a seal?

ChuckD said:
The seal fits inside the tube. That is why you use it on the passenger side on the earlier disco axles.

Hey guys, bringing this one back from the dead, because I'm getting ready to do this swap.

To clarify, this seal will fit in the Disco housing, at the sealing surface of the Non-disco shaft, right? Been so long since I had the inner axle out of the Disco, I can't remember how everything's together on the diff side.

any more info on the location of that seal?

woody said:
Another soft spot on any D30 is the lower control arm brackets. These four thin sheet-metal bits hang way down in munchkin land. Depending on the gusto of the hit, maybe not a show-stopper, but for sure an attention-getter.

JKS sells weld-on 'mini-skids' that box the leading edge and offer some rigidity. If one were handy, they could do their own reinforcing.

I used 3" square tube 1/4" thick, cut it to fit and welded it up. came out very nice and sturdy.

andyr354 said:
any more info on the location of that seal?

When I did this "mod" it was kind of like a monkey alone with a football. I had the wrong seals at 1st (the ones from the Warn blockoff kit), spent god knows how long trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. :D

I might have some pics somewhere of how I finished it up. As for the install, you remove the carrier/ring set up, and you dont need to worry about teh shims, because they are inboard of the shims...Then it goes on the disconnect side (pass side) of the differential. You just put it in there, and give it a light tap, and your good to put it back together (make sure it faces the correct way. Not much to it really, once you're done youll wonder why everyone doesnt do it.

Any other Q's, just ask, Ill try to look up those pics.

yea im planning a total polishing job on my turdy

i have a Non-disconect 1986 dana 30 with the 260 sized joints and i want to upgrade to the 297 sized joints . so from what year and what application Jeep like TJ,YJ, ect could i get the axles with the 297 size joints and 27 spline ????? do i need any sort of seal when doing this project ? does ne one have these axles around that would sell them ? when i do this should i weld the caps in at the same time ?

Thanks for putting up with me

Would a 1993 Sport, Manual, with the np231 have a disco or non disco? and what U joints would they be? Mine are starting to pop and crack while in fourwheel drive. The rear is a 8.25. No ABS

myjeepsbigger said:
Hey guys, bringing this one back from the dead, because I'm getting ready to do this swap.

To clarify, this seal will fit in the Disco housing, at the sealing surface of the Non-disco shaft, right? Been so long since I had the inner axle out of the Disco, I can't remember how everything's together on the diff side.

Got this done a couple weeks ago. That seal did not work. The tube I.D. was a good 1/32 larger than the outer seal body. I ended up using a factory XJ seal for the single piece axle and machining out the inner diameter of the tube a few thousandths. Nice tight fit and i can use a factory replacement seal now if I ever need to change it.

well, i was about to post a new thread, but i figured this question and subsequent (hopefully) info should be in here:
is the wj d30 a direct swap? i think it is the low pinion design, but i really want the brakes right now, and later on maybe i could build a high pinion if it becoms an issue. if it swaps right in, then this would be the most economical solutioin to a few issues i have with my current setup. but don't tell me why i shouldn't...i just want to know if it's possible. thanks all!

Back