• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Tech

Wayne Sihler said:
Checked at the shop today.It is a SPX Miller Tool .#6764 this set is for a 94-96 Non-disco axle.
Indivedual part #s 6797-center expanding tool(my name)
#6798 seal driver(97>)
#8110 seal driver part of set(6764)
Phone # 1-800-801-5420
I have not called to see if they sell to the general public or only to dealers.
Wayne

I'll give them a call, thanks.

BrettM said:
i posted the link. that's a 60, and good luck getting some

I actually saw that thread quite a while ago on Pirate. The links on that thread don't work for me. But thanks anyway. I can't get to the most recent posts either. I have checked with some places that build cv/s for frt drive race apps. and they can pretty much build them to spec, so when the 44 is ready, I'll have to look into it then.

BTT to compliment D-44 Tech. :D

CRASH

Crash great write up. I might have read to fast, so I have a question. They call the vac disco a poor mans arb so if I weld up the spider gears for a cheap mans spool and use a manual disconnect instead of the vac unit will this let the front end disengage so that I can steer and it wont wear on the tires? thanks for your help in advance. I bet you cant guess I am trying to polish a cheap terd because I have some spare terds to help. but dont have the money for a 44 or 60 thanks again

BLINGN XJ said:
Crash great write up. I might have read to fast, so I have a question. They call the vac disco a poor mans arb so if I weld up the spider gears for a cheap mans spool and use a manual disconnect instead of the vac unit will this let the front end disengage so that I can steer and it wont wear on the tires? thanks for your help in advance. I bet you cant guess I am trying to polish a cheap terd because I have some spare terds to help. but dont have the money for a 44 or 60 thanks again

What size tires though?

FYI, I think this thread needs this: :D

35-2031 Its the part # for the Master install kit for D30s using the Super 30 kit (ARB)

BLINGN XJ said:

Well, the intermediate shafts are pretty fragile at the diff. Many have done what you propose and it works, but it's still a turd.......

CRASH

BLINGN XJ said:
have you installed that kit yet? I have got all the parts for it but have not drilled the holes yet. I could only find a 6 foot t handle twist to lock cable also. Oh yeah I have 33's for the size of tires question thanks

I dont have that, I deleted the Disconnect on my D30

I just thought some might like that link.

On changing the dana 30 from disconnect to non-disconnect, where is this seal #11771 supposed to go on the passenger side tube, because I'm concerned that it might not be where later-model axle shafts are machined for a seal?

kubtastic said:
On changing the dana 30 from disconnect to non-disconnect, where is this seal #11771 supposed to go on the passenger side tube, because I'm concerned that it might not be where later-model axle shafts are machined for a seal?

The seal fits inside the tube. That is why you use it on the passenger side on the earlier disco axles.

Disconnect 30:

Non-Disconnect, RS:

Non-disconnect, “Low Pinion” 30:

How do I tell which Dana 30 I have ? My plan was to run 33's on 4.10 gear's.

I do not off-road more than 4 times a year and do not want to burn up the transmission trying to push those tires on the stock 3.55 set up.

I have the typical 1998 4.0 Automatic transmission.

billhaha said:
Disconnect 30:

Non-Disconnect, RS:

Non-disconnect, “Low Pinion” 30:

How do I tell which Dana 30 I have ? My plan was to run 33's on 4.10 gear's.

I do not off-road more than 4 times a year and do not want to burn up the transmission trying to push those tires on the stock 3.55 set up.

I have the typical 1998 4.0 Automatic transmission.

Non-Disco HP D30, if you are only plannin on going to 4.10. I would be a lot easier and cheaper to find a set of axles from a 4 banger.

Nice article Crash :cheers:

From the first post:
CRASH said:
Identical to the disconnect 30, it uses a 7.5” ring gear and 27 spline axles, and is a reverse spiral unit.

D30 R&P is 7.2" (I think it really measures closer to 7.125").

CRASH said:
The Dana 30 used in TJ’s/XJ’s/ZJ’s/MJ’s/WJ’s is a semi-floating axle, that is, the shaft itself carries the weight of the vehicle. With the shaft removed, the bearings will fall apart, leaving you wheel-less.

Dana does call this front axle 'semi-floating', but the axles don't carry the weight (even though that's what SF means), or hold the bearings in.

1990+ 2wd XJ/ZJ/MJ's actually used these same bearings without axleshafts.

The previous generationof AMC era brakes (84-89), 2wd XJ/MJ's had totally different outers, with servicable wheel bearings/spindles and bearing races in the rotors.
When Chrysler changed things, they just went to one type of outer for both 2wd & 4wd.

jpnjim said:
Dana does call this front axle 'semi-floating', but the axles don't carry the weight (even though that's what SF means), or hold the bearings in.

1990+ 2wd XJ/ZJ/MJ's actually used these same bearings without axleshafts.

Really? try telling that to all the guys that have had wheels fall off running without the stub.

BrettM said:
Really? try telling that to all the guys that have had wheels fall off running without the stub.

If guys are loosing their hubs like this, the press fit of the hub assemblies alone must not be enough to retain the wheel.

I didn't realise that.

Seems strange to me, since it is a very tight press (atleast when you try to take them apart).

BTW,
I checked the FSM's for when 2wd's changed to unit bearings,
and 1990-1994 books still show conventional bearings for 2wd (I had read elsewhere the change to unit hubs happened in 1990).

Then the 1995 book says:
"Tube axle (2wd vehicles).........
steering knuckles and hub bearing assemblies are the same as used by the Model 30 drive axle"

If they need a stub in place to stay together, do the 95+ 2wd versions have some kind of yokeless stub?
I guess they'd have to if they had ABS (ABS ring is on the 4wd's stub).

Anyone ever seen one?

Also,
I think it's a lousy explanation for calling them semi-floating, but the 95 FSM says:
"These axles are equipt with semi-floating axle shafts, meaning that the loads are supported by the hub bearings."

jpnjim said:
I agree that the axles don't carry the weight of the vehicle, but they hold the bearings together which carries the weight.

Kyung

Back