• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cummins vs. Powerstroke

DrMoab said:
I hear this all the time and I always come back with "show me an example"

No one can. Can you?

My last Ford (the 3/4ton) had 185K miles when I sold it. Suspension was still tight and the doors all worked fine. My Chevies have all been (going) bad after 50K miles. The Dodge trucks we had lasted somewhere inbetween, but they ended up with squeeky doors that wouldn't shut right, rattle in the dash (like my Jeep) and poor trim inside. I really think that's a feature with pretty much any Dodge and it may be attributed to 'Hencho en Mexico'. No one single thing that was a 'deal-breaker', but annoying anyway. Like I said, my brother in laws Cummins is now on it's 3rd truck, but I don't know that any truck should be expected to last over 400K miles. The original truck literally fell apart aff the frame. He finally trashed the bed and built a flat bed, but the cab wasn't in much better shape by then. My friends Chevy lasted about 80K miles and the bed had to be trashed and hinges rebuilt.

I don't think you'd every have a problem the way you use your truck, Ryan. It sees road use and trailers, my BIL and friends on the farm got hammered each and every day with dirt road about 80% of the time to boot. Good testing ground for trucks.

I also have an '02 7.3L Powerstroke, and love it.

On our construction job sites almost all of the trucks are Fords. There are only a few Dodges, and even fewer Chevrolets. I asked the owner of our concrete contractor and he said the Fords hold up better on the job sites, and they have the biggest crew-cabs. The crew-max dodge isn't an option because you can't get an 8' bed with it.

The most common with the Fords is the steering stabilizer hangs down too low and gets bent on rocks. As soon as that happens, we just remove them.

Stay away from the 6.0L powerstrokes, my brother just spent $6K replacing the cracked heads on his.

i used to work for dodge and have driven alot of the diesels. i now work for ford and obviously have been in my fair share of powerstrokes. my personal opinion is that the dodge drives much smoother, has more power and is much quieter. Prepmech is right about the 6.0's, they are terrible. we have the new 08 superdutys as well and they seem to be even worse. also the maintenance costs on them are up substantially. i have not owned either truck but that is just my take on driving both vehicles around daily.

Cummins.

Unfortunately you have to get a Dodge to get it....not worth the trouble.

Get the Ford.

Doc...examples? Sure...come to this area and I will be happy to have you talk to my buddy that owns a plumbing company, they did not replace 2 year old Dodges just for the heck of it.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Cummins.

Unfortunately you have to get a Dodge to get it....not worth the trouble.

Get the Ford.

Doc...examples? Sure...come to this area and I will be happy to have you talk to my buddy that owns a plumbing company, they did not replace 2 year old Dodges just for the heck of it.

Rev
You own a Land Rover...your opinion means nothing. :D

One thing I have to say is for all those that say "yeah well my cousin's friend's brother works at a diesel shop and they see a bajaillian Fords!" is that I don't trust this. Reason being there are more Fords out there being used than Dodges. Talk about fleet usage the vast majority uses Fords. Generally when I see Dodge or Chevy diesel trucks (well trucks in generall) it's private owned.

Now, that said my dream truck would be a Ford body, Dodge engine, and I'm not sure about the transmission (it'd be manual though, don't trust any of their autos). With that not happening if I were ready to buy a Diesel now it would be a tough call new, i would most likely lean toward Ford because I don't like Chrysler fit and finish much, used price would be a big factor in Dodge verses Ford.

I do not trust Chevrolet ;)

Well I looked at two Cummins and a PS today. The Cummins deffinitly rode better then the PS and the interior was much more friendly. The Cummins felt like it had more power off the line and was a lot louder, sounded damn good. The first Cummins was leaking some oil, throwing a code P 1693 (did the three key turn check ;-) ), and two of the nuts on the front sway bar looked to be angle grinded off. The salesman was a complete ass with no personality so I won't be going back there. The second Cummins I'm in love with. 89,000 miles..under carriage and body are friggin' flawless , 00, Silver, ad said it was and auto but it was a 5spd, extended cab, short box, with a 2 gauge pod (Boost/EGT and fuel Pressure) Laramie w/leather and wood grain and the 55 Block no 53! The 5spd was fun to drive and the turbo sounded mean "blowing off" when you shifted. The PS was nice too but I'm deffinitly leaning toward the Cummins!

-Andrew

To people that have never owned a diesel before but are looking there is something to consider that I think is important. If you really plan on towing with it do not judge its speed or quickness when unloaded. My 2000 is slow, really slow. However you can tow 10K with it and its not a whole lot slower lol, the cummins is for sure happier with a load behind it. Mine will tow my dads 8000lb enclosed trailer at 70 no problem, even if the trailer has two completly blown out tires on one side lol.

I own two cummins truck but fixing to shed the 2000 becuase I have a company truck and its just not needed. If I need to tow something or haul something I will just use my old 92 with 300K on it.

The wife has an 02 Excursion with a bombed 7.3 & is pushing 200,000 miles. I wouldn't trade the reliability of this car for the world. It's still on the stock trans as well.

I've got an 06 Cheby with the D-max. I'm pushing close to 70K & I'm still loving life.

Between the Dodge & Ford of comparable years (IMO) it's a coin toss. Both motors are proven & both auto tranny's are "reported" to be weak. My experience with the 02 7.3 has been nothing, but favorable.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=222581350&dealer_id=616860&car_year=2001&search_type=both&num_records=25&keywordsfyc=&make=DODGE&transmission=&model=RAM25002WD&distance=100&make2=&address=02879&default_sort=priceDESC&advanced=y&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=20000&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=2008&keywordsrep=&color=&start_year=1981&drive=4+wheel+drive&engine=&fuel=Diesel&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=37

Heavily considering buying that Cummins.. I drove it today and it was in such nice shape in and out, underneath too! 4wd worked flawlessly and the thing seemed run perfect. I tried the key trick too and got no engine codes.

I'm going to look at a few more truck tomorrow but right now its between that and the same truck but in a 5spd

-Andrew

The 7.3 ps's are pretty stout and reliable, but the Cummins imo is better. First of all, it's a much simpler, longer tested design (inline diesels been around forever). You don't see any "v" blocks in big trucks or heavy equip, also how about our beloved 4.0l and it's longevity?

That being said, I am on my 2nd Cummins, an 01 auto 4x4 with 182k on it that I bought new and the tranny's are THE weak point in them. I just spent $4k (2 weeks ago) having a tranny custom built with DTT tc and valve body and absolutely love the truck more than ever now.

Here's another; my brothers, uncles cousins friend story.....A friend (fellow XJ'er who I've known 20 yrs) works currently on the diesel team at a local Ford house and absolutely would not own any of the ps's except MAYBE the 7.3, as a matter of fact he's been trying like hell to buy my truck from me and I won't sell.

One last tidbit that no one has mentioned, the F450, F550, F650 trucks from Ford all come with the Cummins engine. That says alot to me!!!

TXRIVERRAT said:
One last tidbit that no one has mentioned, the F450, F550, F650 trucks from Ford all come with the Cummins engine. That says alot to me!!!

Actually its just the F650 that has the 5.9 Cummins in it as an option I believe. The F650 is a big step up from the F550 its a different truck all together. I F450-F550 use the 7.3 or 6.0 still.

This is just oberservation, but I am %99 sure I am right :).

TXRIVERRAT said:
The 7.3 ps's are pretty stout and reliable, but the Cummins imo is better. First of all, it's a much simpler, longer tested design (inline diesels been around forever). You don't see any "v" blocks in big trucks or heavy equip, also how about our beloved 4.0l and it's longevity?

Sure they do. Mack used to (don't know if they still do) make a V8 diesel and I used to drive an ancient cement truck with a V8 of unknown origins. You won't get very far saying the V8 isn't a good platform.... The I6 just has flatter torque.

SCW said:
Sure they do. Mack used to (don't know if they still do) make a V8 diesel and I used to drive an ancient cement truck with a V8 of unknown origins. You won't get very far saying the V8 isn't a good platform.... The I6 just has flatter torque.
I dunno...ask any trucker who has ever driven a V8. They are the worst POS on the roads. No power, have to wind them up to go anywhere.

I have been around several and an inline six works better hands down.

BlueCuda said:
Actually its just the F650 that has the 5.9 Cummins in it as an option I believe. The F650 is a big step up from the F550 its a different truck all together. I F450-F550 use the 7.3 or 6.0 still.

This is just oberservation, but I am %99 sure I am right :).

F-450's don't use 6.slows anymore, they have flame throwing 6.4L twin turbo motors:D. If you dont know what I mean, research the recall on the new 6.4 PS, you'll get a little laugh.

Andrew

DrMoab said:
No. Its bone stock.

I don't want to mess with it till the warranty is up.
Yea I hear ya, you just put the upgrade money into the XJ right? :D

I wish I could afford an 05 like yours I think the new line of Dodge 2500/3500 trucks looks awesome.

-Andrew

Last edited:
Back