• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Congrats tree huggers on being a hypocrite!

MT Mike

NAXJA Forum User
A good friend of mine was suckered in by the "Hybrid" sales hype and was just about to buy one when I sent her a bunch of articles about why "Hybrids" are worse for the environment than any other vehicle. The one article that really got her attention was this one. So for all of you who know some tree hugger driving around in a future toxic waste dump, feel free to pass that on to them. The facts should really make them feel all warm and fuzzy! :roflmao:

We almost bought the wife a Civic hybrid when we bought the 06 she had. I knew in the big picture they polluted more, but I could give a damn less if it saved me at the pump. Couldn't get quite a good enough deal on it so we didn't end up getting it.

Good article, had no idea that my namesake was so polluting....

hmmm...maybe I'm named for the coin......LOL

JNickel101 said:
Good article, had no idea that my namesake was so polluting....
hmmm...maybe I'm named for the coin......LOL

Weren't they originally made of nickel too? Maybe the tern "plug nickel" applies?

BTW Thanks for the article Mike!!

Last edited:
Ive found myself very dissapointed about the milage coming from the hybrids, my grandpa owns a Prius and he uses it to deliver the old folks in the community lunch. He sais that he is only makin like 36 to 37 a gallon. Yes this is all city, and stop and go driving, but isn't that really the conditions the prius was ment to accell in? sorry just ranting, but ive seen 90's model Neons get better MPG's than that, seems like a waist of money to me.

DrMoab said:
Not around the city you haven't

No shit.

My mom somehow manages to get under 20 in her Neon, of course she only does short city trips and has always driven with an on/off throttle but damn!

(I got 32 when driving it to/from work, not entirely highway and not entirely city)

Lesson on how to get REALLY bad mileage out of anything:

When the light turns green, stand on the gas.
when the car in front doesn't move fast enough, stand on the brake.
In moving traffic, watch the car in front of you(no further ahead)
When it slows down, don't let off the gas until it's within 20 feet.
Then stand on the brake.
On the highway, drive right up on the car in front of you, as fast as you can.
Hit the brakes to keep from hitting it.
When you slow down, stand on the gas again(because now you're going to slow)
If there is someone in front of you, speed up to pass them, then slow back down until they are on you bumper, then give it a shot of gas to speed up.
Then slow back down again(repeat)

Follow these directions rigorously, and you too can get under 20mpg in anything! As an added bonus, you will need new brakes every 10.000 miles!

Seriously, pay attention. It's amazing how many people drive like this.

Hackmeister said:
You just summed up about 90% of all drivers in Boston!

its my experience thats about 90% of the drivers in the U.S.
I used to judge how smart people are with their money by whether or not they've got a cigarette hanging from their mouth, now I judge them by how they drive. Most fail.

Hybrids are definitely one of my pet peeves. I did a life cycle analysis of hybrid cars last year. When I was done, I had a real eye opener.

Here are some of my findings.

On a per unit of energy needed for production alone, a hybrid will consumer 35 times more energy in it's production than a Hummer H1. One car needs 35 TIMES MORE ENERGY TO BE BUILT THAN ONE FRICKING HUMMER.

A Hummer is infinitely more recyclable than a hybrid. With a hybrid you have battery replacement every 4 to 7 years and that requires hazardous waste treatment in order to recycle those batteries.

But wait there's more. Do you guys have any idea of how much toxic waste is produced in electronic and battery manufacturing? I just don't want to go there. It will just take me too long to write all this shite I down have against hybrids.

Do yourself a favor and purchase a Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris. Half the cost and the same mileage with out the guilt of polluting more.

SBrad001 said:
Hybrids are definitely one of my pet peeves. I did a life cycle analysis of hybrid cars last year. When I was done, I had a real eye opener.

Mine too.
A couple years ago when we were shopping for an economy car I didnt even consider getting a hybrid. We ended up with a little Kia that cost $12000 with options, has 100000 mile warranty and gets 34 MPG. Its worked out pretty good.

Last edited:
Ray H said:
Mine too.
A couple years ago when we were shopping for an economy car I didnt even consider getting a hybred. We ended up with a little Kia that cost $12000 with options, has 100000 mile warranty and gets 34 MPG. Its worked out pretty good.

So you saved $10000 over the cost of a hybrid, get almost the same mileage, and pollute less? How stupid are these people buying these damned hybrids?

Ok, I'm done ranting.

Through a study by CNW Marketing called “Dust to Dust,” the total combined energy is taken from all the electrical, fuel, transportation, materials (metal, plastic, etc) and hundreds of other factors over the expected lifetime of a vehicle. The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles - the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.
The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to put on the road over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles. That means the Hummer will last three times longer than a Prius and use less combined energy doing it.

HAHAHA YEAH RIGHT!

I work for a cab company, we have 6 Prius's, 3 of witch have 170k+ Original drive train, they are 2005 models.

They will easily make it to 300k

SBrad001 said:
So you saved $10000 over the cost of a hybrid, get almost the same mileage, and pollute less? How stupid are these people buying these damned hybrids?

Ok, I'm done ranting.

Those are people that do things just to impress other people just like the guy who pays $5000 more for an Escalade instead of getting a loaded Tahoe all so they can show off a nice pretty gold Cadillac badge.

nw-xj-scott said:
HAHAHA YEAH RIGHT!

I work for a cab company, we have 6 Prius's, 3 of witch have 170k+ Original drive train, they are 2005 models.

They will easily make it to 300k
Are you considering the batteries as part of the drivetrain?

Ray H said:
Are you considering the batteries as part of the drivetrain?
Yeah! I know they are original. These cars were bought threw auction with around 40k miles. i deal with the Maintenance requests every day, They rarely need anything... I am not "Siding" with anyone in this. but from my experience with these cars, that report is making them out to be Unreliable, Short-lived Cars. and i have to disagree.

Back