• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

The Colorado BS thread

I rode 274 miles today, the longest single day yet. First up was Fairplay, CO so that I could grab another tag. My buddy joined me on his Electra-Glide. We went through Denver and then took HWY-285 down.

Got the tag. Interesting little history on it. It's in honor of the burro races held every year. The route originally went from FairPlay to Leadville.

null_zps21327bb7.jpg

While there we stopped for lunch in South Park at the Park Bar. Very good buffalo burger and fries.

null_zps238f3219.jpg

I'm sure we looked like quite the odd pair with him on his Harley wearing leathers and me on my KTM wearing a MX helmet and street riding gear.

After lunch we took HWY-9 into Brekenridge and headed onto I-70. Stopped for fuel in Georgetown because I noticed I had gone 180 miles since fueling. Weird thing though is my fuel light never came on and I barely got over 3.5 gallons in the two tanks. Math showed me having made an impressive 48mpg since filling up by my house. That's 10mpg more than my normal average.

Hit stupid traffic just before Idaho Springs. At one point the bikes got shut off and were on their side stands in the middle of the interstate. Eventually the creepy crawl pace started taking its toll on both bikes. My temp gauge was almost maxed and his Harley was getting so hot he could barely sit on it. We wound up riding down the median at 15mph to keep them moving and somewhat cool. I still got a foot covered in coolant though when the over flow burped some out the drain hose.

We finally made it past construction and into Denver. We split up there as I was headed to Performance Cycle to meet the wife. She has Motorcycle Safety this weekend and needed some boots. I'd never been there before, but I am glad we went. That store is awesome. We got her some boots and I even snagged myself a Fox/KTM MX jersey to wear when it's really hot and even my mesh jacket is too warm. Plus it's mostly orange so people should really notice me when I ride around their cages.

I swung by here on the way home. It was yummy.

null_zpse05acd05.jpg

And when I got home my CJ Designs oversized clutch reservoir had shown up so after lubing my chain I got it installed.

null_zpsa1049b3a.jpg

All in all a great day and I absolutely love the new Scorpion tires. So much better on the street. The bike is way more composed on grooved concrete and asphalt. It takes corners better and is a lot more stable when the speeds get close to triple digits.

Re: The Colorado BS thread

I'm very much considering getting back into drag racing - more specially, the 10.5 Outlaw Pump Gas Power Adder division. This was a division that I couldn't compete in in the the past due to $$$ but now I think I'm financially ready to give it a go. I'm looking at about a 1.5 - 2 year build between the chassis and drivetrain.

Here are the rolling platforms I'm looking at:

240z/260z/280z
70-72' Camaro
Ford Falcon
65-67 Mustang
66' Nova
85-93' Mustang Notch

I've got a NIB S480 turbo sitting in my basement that is just dying to get strapped to something. Not sure how competitve I'll be with running with the big boys, but I've got enough turbo fabrication/design knowledge that I think I can give them a good run.

Now to find a roller :)

No need to Jim. I've never had an issue when traveling in Mexico. Then again, I generally don't have drinks that require ice. Why is Matt putting ice in beer? Corona is already watered down enough.

No need to Jim. I've never had an issue when traveling in Mexico. Then again, I generally don't have drinks that require ice. Why is Matt putting ice in beer? Corona is already watered down enough.

My Dad got Montezuma's Revenge a few years back when we all went to Cancun
I've never seen someone so sick that didn't die.

Here, lemme help you with that list........

70-72' Camaro
66' Nova

Or how 'bout.........

IHRArecordholder.jpg

Or........

Picture292.jpg

Or.........

5e47d7cc20630e5dd701cb8217cc13e4.jpeg

I'm sure we looked like quite the odd pair with him on his Harley wearing leathers and me on my KTM wearing a MX helmet and street riding gear.

The orange helmet definitely "fits" the bike better than your other one. I saw you on my way home last night....hard to miss the giant pumpkin head now! :roflmao:

I was going to honk and wave....but I didn't want you crashing again! :D

In my super sweet KTM Jersey with completely not matching DCU pants? :D

At least the new helmet has some black on it to break up the color. My other helmet is just all one color. I'll still wear that one once it starts getting colder again, the MX Helmet is just a lot lighter and better vented.

In my super sweet KTM Jersey with completely not matching DCU pants? :D

At least the new helmet has some black on it to break up the color. My other helmet is just all one color. I'll still wear that one once it starts getting colder again, the MX Helmet is just a lot lighter and better vented.

Yeah those full face ones are brutal on a hot day. Not bad when you are moving, but in stop and go traffic it feels like your head is melting!

Bike looks good though! I'd sport around on one of them.

we need pics of said giant pumpkin head in action... :eyes:

That tubbed out XJ has me smitten. I'd like to know more about what's written on the valve cover. Sounds sexy.

OK Troy! It is against my better judgement to share this link, but don't open it at work: http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/scores-chevys-hidden-50-years-finally-sale-160911547.html

When your coworkers find you quivering and slobbering, they'll know you just ain't right...

:D

OMG........ just........ wow. 500 cars. Wonder how many of those are classics or if that one building held the "creme of the crop".....

They're making a mistake using some mom & pop auction company. They should hire a team to go through the cars and get them running, driving, cleaned up, compile all original documentation and feature the collection with Barrett Jackson or Mecham.

They're gonna wish they'd sold off those cars 10 years ago in a better economy and coulda enjoyed the money sooner.

Fix the roof on that Cameo and that's gonna be a $100K truck........

Those Ford XB's are cool. That one photo'd is Aussie film actor Eric Bana's ride. Awesome build....... only to pile it up on it's first race out........

eric-bana-car-crash.jpg

There's a good Aussie documentary about Bana and his XB, the build, the crash and his rebuild of his dad's 60's T-bird. Worth a watch.

Also worth mentioning that the XB was the Mad Max car as well....... :thumbup:

Aside from bragging rights, there is nothing alluring about owning a super low mileage classic car - trust me. You'll spend just as much money restoring it as you would a daily driver.

I remember years ago we had a customer come in with a documented 440 six-pack 67' or 68' Dart in dark Hunter Green which was a super rare factory color for that year. Car had maybe 10k miles on it. The guy spent almost $20k restoring it after we found that both quarter panels were rotted through, all of the seals and gaskets had to be replaced in the engine, the trunk braces were rotted through. It was a mess. What made it worse was the customer paid top dollar for it just because it had low mileage.

Years later the ecomony in Florida tanked and he had us consign it on the lot for thousands less than what he paid for just the car. It was sad.

Cars were made to be driven. You let them sit long enough and the elements begin to take over. Then you're left with a pile of never driven junk.

The Colorado BS thread

OMG........ just........ wow. 500 cars. Wonder how many of those are classics or if that one building held the "creme of the crop".....

They're making a mistake using some mom & pop auction company. They should hire a team to go through the cars and get them running, driving, cleaned up, compile all original documentation and feature the collection with Barrett Jackson or Mecham.

They're gonna wish they'd sold off those cars 10 years ago in a better economy and coulda enjoyed the money sooner.

Fix the roof on that Cameo and that's gonna be a $100K truck........

Man this is making the rounds on the net.

That is my parents home town and where all my family currently lives. My grandmas house is like 4 blocks from the dealership. I used to go stare at that white impala in the window all the time as a kid.

I've also been out to his farm where he has all the other cars stashed out in the trees. We used to sneak in there as kids and go look around.

I'll be there for the auction if anyone wants to send me with a suitcase of cash to bid on stuff! :D

I've also been out to his farm where he has all the other cars stashed out in the trees.

Ahhhhh........ so in reality, he's got 10 or so cars that are worth a damn...... and the other 490 comprise a large salvage yard.

Sad. The article mentioned the abundance of storage for such a collection out there in Pierce, NE. ...... I was of the impression they were saying he had a few buildings to house the cars...... not out in a field.

Bummer.

Edit:

Went to the auction's website and they posted a couple pics of the yard. While those cars appear to be mostly complete....... the Nebraska elements and native vermin certainly will have rendered these to be major restoration projects if not parts cars........

007.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

I also looked over the preliminary inventory list on the auction website....... actually quite a large number of vehicles...... particularly trucks..... that have under 10 miles on them. Would be a shame if those are among the ones left in the yard........

Last edited:

Ian (swamprat) got me to watch that documentary last week while he was here (much to the dismay of our ladies) its called love the beast. Its definitely worth the watch.
Last i heard he was going to rebuild it

Those Ford XB's are cool. That one photo'd is Aussie film actor Eric Bana's ride. Awesome build....... only to pile it up on it's first race out........

eric-bana-car-crash.jpg

There's a good Aussie documentary about Bana and his XB, the build, the crash and his rebuild of his dad's 60's T-bird. Worth a watch.

Also worth mentioning that the XB was the Mad Max car as well....... :thumbup:

Back