• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

I don't have one Jim and I don't wanna go buy one for someone else's bike.

Yes, you can jump start if the motorcycle battery is a 12 Volt.

My neighbor had one I'm borrowing tonight so problem is solved. Thanks everyone.

Dumb question coming. Do the XJ's have some sort of breather device on the axles/diffs? I don't recall ever seeing one on either of ours before I sold them.

Oh and I own page 490. Bitches.

Dumb question coming. Do the XJ's have some sort of breather device on the axles/diffs? I don't recall ever seeing one on either of ours before I sold them.
Yes they do, if you can call a rubber hose a breather.

Front Dana 30 has a fitting on the back side of the housing to the right (passenger side) of the pinion. A Hose attaches to it and runs up the upper contro arm and to the firewall where it ends with small breather fitting.

The rear axles have a breather fitting that's used to hold the t-block for the rear brake lines to the driver side axle tube. It also has a rubber hose attached with a breather fitting located at it terminus up by where the rubber brake hose attaches to the frame side hard line.

Oh. Now that you mention it I do remember that. The Xterra crowd makes a real big deal out of making the hoses longer and running the rear one way the hell up into the area behind the drivers tail light so that water doesn't get into the diff. Seems a bit overkill. I'd say if you have water up near that area you now have other things to worry about.

Whew, what a day. It all started with a visit back to the doctor. They took a few more x-rays and he told me I was healing fine and there would be no need for surgery on either my hand or my pelvis. :clap

I got home and hopped onto this forum to see a new "Tag" had been placed in the Front Range Tag-o-Rama. The new tag happened to be up near Nederland, not too far from my house. Having taken the entire day off of work for my doctor's appointment it was freaking on. I suited up and headed out.

I took HWY-52 from my house into Boulder (a place I highly dislike) and made my way through the lunch time traffic w/o issue. Then I finally left the city and started meandering up HWY-119 towards Nederland. I certainly wasn't making any speed records here, I just took it steady and stayed well within my comfort zone. This caused some jerk-off in a red Nissan truck to get all pissy so I let him pass as soon as the second lane showed up. In my defense he was riding my ass all hurry-hurry like even when there was a Volvo S40 in front of me setting the pace. Some people are just tools.

I made it into Nederland and was amazed at how much more of the scenery I noticed on the motorcycle compared to in my Jeep. I've been up here plenty, in fact the Black Forest Inn is my favorite German Restaurant in the world, and I've been to Germany twice. Shortly after leaving Nederland I ran into a slight issue. A bug went into my helmet and got stuck. I could feel him crawling around my ear and temple, buzzing and angry. Not sure what the hell it was I quickly pulled over and removed my helmet as frantically as I could. I'm sure it looked comical.

Here is the pic I took of the side of the road to mark the occasion.
null_zps1ebf12da.jpg

Continuing on my journey I was just soaking up the curves, the views, and the fresh mountain air. It was my first time running HWY-119 towards I-70 from Boulder on a motorcycle. I always enjoyed the drive in my Jeep but this was on an entirely new level.

I made it to Rawlins and snagged (or grabbed) the tag for the day. Unfortunately they were closed so no pit stop for me.
null_zps3fe99683.jpg

I had originally planned to turn around and high tail it up to Estes Park to screw with all the Colorado Springs/Castle Rock types that seemed most active in the game, but I also wanted to swing by Performance Cycle in Denver so I continued south instead.

I made it to Black Hawk without any issues. I like most parts of this little town, all the old mining building and stuff are really cool. Here is my drive through pic of Black Hawk.
null_zps2d299064.jpg

I was going to link up with HWY-6 and head into Golden but it was closed due to construction. Instead I was forced to head onto I-70 W towards Idaho Springs. Considering Tommy Knockers is my favorite CO brewery I just could resist. This became the new Tag.
null_zpsf5066d35.jpg

I was really starting to get sore from the seat (broken pelvis after all) and my broken right hand was screaming at me from working the throttle for a good 2 hours. I decided to go inside and relax for a bit.
null_zps8a9288e4.jpg

Realizing how late it was getting I decided to go the more straight line route home and headed back towards I-70 East. Holy hell that sucked. I got a major work out in slow speed balance and clutch control, I was freaking out that drop the bike at any moment. This lasted for a good 5 miles and was really frustrating. To make things worse, I had decided that since I was going onto the interstate it would be best to throw my jacket and gloves on. It might be a mesh jacket but holy hell was a roasting. Traffic finally got moving and I cruised along at 70mph not particularly caring for the whole open interstate experience, the last time I was on the interstate I wrecked my KLR so I wasn't having a great time. I just stuck to the slow lane only moving out of it to go around the truckers riding the jake brakes down the hills. I've grossed 98,000lbs running those hills in my work's Freightliner, its no joke when your that heavy.

I got through Denver and made it up to 136th where I could joyously return to Washington Blvd and then the Frontage Road it turns into for the rest of the trip home. The stupid light at HWY-52 kept ignoring me though. It cycled 3 times without ever letting me pass. I finally popped the bike in neutral and walked over to crosswalk and hit the button a few times. Stupid light didn't know who it was messing with. :lol3

All in all a great day, this is the longest I've gone on my bike (or any for that matter) solo or otherwise. It was a long day but well worth it, even the BS construction and heat. I can't wait until this weekend to get back out there.

You suck, I almost want to ride again...

Damn Dutch, glad you're ok. Were you on grooved highway when that front got loose? That stuff shakes street tires bad, knobbies are worse. Head shake is no fun at all, won't be the last time you get it for sure. Way to keep yourself alive and out of the way of trucks. I've been looking at some more bikes myself, but being on the road now, I'm fighting myself on what kind of riding/bike I wanna go with. Some of these passes and roads look different after you take em with 80k or more. Keep this on shiny side up.

No, the head shake on the KLR was most likely caused by a combination of things. Too much weight on the rear with the ammo can panniers without having readjusted the rear pre-load for it, knobbies, 40mph cross winds, getting up to a little too fast a speed, and potentially the head bearings might have been a little loose as well. What turned it from a scary head shake to full on tank slap is most likely my grabbing of the front brake. Apparently that's a major no-no but not something that was covered in the Moto Safety Course. They never mentioned speed wobble as a possible scenario and I'd never heard of it before.

That's what I like about these dual sport style of bikes. Not being sure myself how much of a dirt bias or street bias I'm going to wind up with I like having a bike that can do both. It'll let me get a feel for my personal riding style and make a more informed decision when going to spend serious money on a new or newer bike.

Took the Lexus for a new timing belt and water pump, It also had cel light that he had to reprogram the computer to fix, altogether cost was 400 bucks ,which the lexus and Toyota dealers wanted almost 3000 for, so I am happy

ya head shake will get ya for sure. In corners is the absolute worst. Just pick the nose up a bit and you should be good. Brakes are bad.

Learned the hard way today to always test fit even the smallest part before final welding. That mistake is going to cost me at least 4 hours to fix.

Congrats ya geezer-let me buy you a tecate while you are out here?

The Colorado BS thread

Wound up putzing around Longmont today. I also took the bike apart to check some stuff out. Then while it was apart I added a 12V outlet and relocated my tank bag a bit so I could move my iPhone. I'm using a life proof case and their handle bar mount. It works well but needs an arm on it for better placement on a motorcycle.

I also grabbed another tag after helping the guy out. His BMW's battery went bad so after I met him on the Frontage Road to jump start his bike with the Audi I ran home and followed after him on the bike.

Grab #2 for me
edyda2a3.jpg

When I got home I decided to investigate a small oil leak. Turns out my bike has a typical breather issue that is putting a fair amount of oil in the air box. There is a drain hose that is dripping that oil into my skid plate, thus the leak.

Had to take the bike apart just a bit to find that out
4ugemady.jpg

2eqade3y.jpg

While it was apart I added a 12V outlet wired into a factory set of accessory leads that KTM was do thoughtful to install. You can also see my relocated life proof iPhone mount, the new cramp buster, and part of the Volvo exhaust hanger that is my new 3$ throttle lock.
du3ahuga.jpg

Now the bike is eagerly waiting tomorrow's trip.
hydusahy.jpg

ok motorbike is :
if it fits in your pockets it goes.
if not it stays home.
and iphone holder? what is next a cup holder??
and cramp buster....damn man i rode like mad and just endured it all.
and yes, i am one part serious and nine parts busting your bulls (say that in your best NY accent)

Last edited:
Back