• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Is it wrong to want a Kia? We're looking to buy a new car for the family (a fleet of over 200,000 is a bit strenuous at times) and I'm really liking the Kia offerings.

I rented one a couple years ago and was really pleasantly surprised with the quality of construction, and the solid feel of it -- small SUV type thingy. It did have a more powerful stereo than engine, but it was a pretty solid little car.

The question is what kind of kis? The newer optimas are nice! I am kind of a fan of the 2011 Hyundai elantras too!

Looking at a small SUV. The Kia Sportage, Honda CRV, VW Tiguan, GMC Terrain/Chevy Equinox, and the like. Basically something that'll have good room for our 3-person + dog family but still get 30ish mpg on the highway.

We really like the Tiquan/Audi Q5 but they're a bit pricey and if we're getting back into car payments I want the lowest possible. The Sportage has a lot of nice features even in the base 23,000$ model. Although if you want to step up to the turbo engine you're right there with the Tiquan in pricing.

I know when I was in Iraq and Kuwait there were a ton of Sportages and Sorentos being beat on by the US and they seemed to hold up well, I also like the whole 10yr 100,000 mile warranty. Plus the few people I know that've owned Kia's seemed to be really happy with them. My wife is a bit opposed but said she is still willing to give it a test drive and fair chance. For that matter yet I might drive it and see it in person and decide hell no too. I am biased towards the German and American options.

Aside from if you have.to do an alternator... dig my moms Hyundai Santa Fe. Great mpg. surprisingly puppy. good room

I know a year or so ago KIA was having issues with the crank pulley bolt braking and causing a major engine failure. Broken timing belts and bent valves. They recalled them and still were having bolts break after they changed them out. It was only the v6 in the sorento and sportages I believe. My work will not do any timing belts on these for this reason. I know of one person still trying to get Kia to pay for the engine rebuild on his. It's been 2 years now. Might want to look into it and see if they have solved this problem.

I'll keep that in mind. I know the current Sportage options seem to be a 4cyl non-turbo and a 4cyl turbo.

523474_520595967965910_2058698884_n.jpg

Colors are already changing....
426716_521928361166004_10120722_n.jpg

Some guy on trail to our camp area beating up hit truck to get through.....
294659_521928441165996_1542358258_n.jpg

We test drove the Hyundai Tucson, Nissan Rogue, and the Kia Sportage. By far the Kia was the nicest one, and the 250hp turbo tion was damn nice too. The Hyundai just felt all around cheap. It drove nice and some col features but it lacked a feel of any real quality. My wife liked the Nissan Rogue but I felt the interior to bland, boring, and of low quality. I also despise the CVT transmission. The Kia was hands down our favorite. The interior was well layed out, the materials had a feeling of quality to them, it drove better than the other two, and the turbo model was definitely one peppy little bastard. We were going to go check out the new Escape, the Tiquan, the Equinox, and the Mazda CX5 today but the kid is sick so we had to postpone loking at more. In the end though I think we'll be going with the Sportage. If you forego the turbo you get all the options (dual sunroofs, heated and cooled seats, sat/nav, etc)for 26K$, add in Kia's great warranty and its just hard to see any of the others being the winner. I was actually hoping to be dissapointed in it duringthe test drive but truth be told it was very nice and felt a lot like the 2000 S4 we normally drive. I think we'll be splurging on the turbo too, it'll make family trips up to Estes that much more fun.

Oh, we did check out the new Escape too but it was too late to test drive it. It was nice, but the dash was too busy and seemed very random in how it was layed out. The rear seats weren't as roomy, and with a typical 3yr/6yr warranty it just doesn;t seem worth the extra money for a few cool gadgets. My wife said it almost perfect, "if I was still in high school and wanted a bunch of cool gadgets to show off to my friends it would be perfect. As it is I'd probably pull over on the highway crying because Colin was throwing a fit and I couldn't figure out how to turn off the radio." I thought that to be good assemesment of it, although we are still going to test drive it in case something about it just clicks.

We are both secretly hoping we'll find a hell of a deal on a Tiquan, but even then we both agree the Kia is probably going to be the smarter all around choice. And sadly enough, the only thing to not like about it as a car is the Kia badge. It really was the best car we've looked at so far.

Last edited:

Holy shit, that's the ultimate sleeper! 55psi of boost! Seems like it could be lighter at 2500lbs without driver. My '01 GT Mustang was 2900lbs without me in it and lots of weight reduction.

I want to weld the diff in the miata. Any opinions?

WTF? Why? The thing will corner like keerap! Are you trying to make a 1/4 mile car out of it rather than SCCA?

Back