• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado Association Of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs 2011 Raffle Bronco

wow thats a real kick ass build, gonna be cool prize to whoever wins it.

the cage looks cool and for most people will serve better than their wheeling will require, BUT, I am not sure id question Justin's POV on it. there is a difference between wheelers who know what works, those educated in what is the ideal best way to do things, and people like Justin who fit both shoes. maybe bars from the bends to the rear would help gusset and alleviate the potential to collapse. Dunno if owner would wheel it like that, but as someone who is building it, you ARE responsible for it being safe and reliable, so wouldnt ideas about making it potentially safer be wanted?

cool build either way :thumbup:

For those that are not in the loop here, the cage has been discussed and it will do it's job! Here is a quote by Rob from Nemesis.

"We understand your concern so let me assure you first that we did not spend the last 4 weeks of our time and resources building a cage that would not provide more than adequate protection for it's occupants.

To give you some background on what the project requirements were I have included a brief list of the major goals that the coordinators provided:

- We needed to design a working cage that would protect an individual ranging in size from 5 foot to 6 and a half feet.
-We also were required to provide adjustment in the seats and cage to accommodate this type of varying height range. This is one of the reasons for the large opening between the A and B pillar.
- The cage needed to protect the occupants in the case of a rollover under
moderate to difficult trail use. This is very different than building an entire vehicle that is designed to be driven to it's absolute limits and will be rolled on a regular basis. After competing in XRRA with our chassis and having a driver that likes to jump but has some issues landing believe me we
understand the strength required to hold up to true extreme wheeling. Also a 30-40 year old non-rusted Bronco is the last thing that I would ever want to intentionally destroy. (I have no Idea how Justin found this thing but it is perfect - Great Work!)
- The cage had to be something different. It could not look like a box with some gussets welded to it. This cage need to attract attention to get people to purchase tickets to help us keep our trails open.

Now that you have a bit more background on the overall scope of the project I would like to address your concern. When designing a roll cage you are building to withstand force from three main directions. The first from the top, second, from the side, and third, would be diagonally. The top which is where your concern is centered would be one of the hardest rolls you could possibly take. The main failure point in a roll like this is actually not the bent tube but more where and how it is connected. You will typically see the connection (weld in this case) fail or the piece that the bent tube is connected to will distort. The pictures don't show it to well but we fabricated our own pedestals so that there is no way that the lower portion will fail. The second point of failure is the weld basically sheering from the tube. To overcome that potential issue we used a large gusset that ties the upper portion of the cage to the B and C pedestals spreader. As far as the impacts from the side and diagonally, that is handled by the amount of cross bracing and the 6 very robust A, B, and C pedestals that are connected using 1/2" GR 8 hardware.

I have focused more on the front of the cage than the back, however you did express some concern there as well. The intent of this cage is to protect the driver and passenger. The back is to grab some attention with the fast back look while still keeping your cooler and gear safe.

I hope that I have been able to address your concerns thoroughly. If you have any further questions please give me a call at 303-974-2440.

We are finishing the final bars on the cage tonight so I will post pictures of the final product tomorrow. We also have a special surprise for the team at Rock Solid Offroad to reflect their incredible efforts in bringing this project to reality.

Rob"

great youre back now to post stupid BS, awesome. didnt you ask to be deleted so you wouldnt have to deal with this place?
pound sand.

the point made about the cage is a probable and good point to be made. it wasnt a "this build is a piece of shit you are all retarded" post. it was a post from the point of view of someone getting a degree in classes that would make 99% of our heads explode, and directly related to the point being made. and justin isnt a newb to beating on rigs.

the point made about the cage is a probable and good point to be made. it wasnt a "this build is a piece of shit you are all retarded" post. it was a post from the point of view of someone getting a degree in classes that would make 99% of our heads explode, and directly related to the point being made. and justin isnt a newb to beating on rigs.

Negative, there is no point, it is mute! The guys who designed and built this cage did their homework long before freerider15! People need to quit bad mouthing something they know nothing about! :conceited

youre right, i bet freerider knows nothing about the topic.... what a joke...

edit:
where the XXXX was the badmouthing.....in fact. i believe i stated clearly there was no badmouthing that it was cool as shit....

Looks good!...but I'm not sure I would trust that cage for a serious roll...

But, yes other wise I'll take 1 kthnxbye! :D

Funny, because it looks like in the thread full of "bad mouthing" he not only says it looks good but that he wants one.

Here, do you need some of this?

FAM_MIDOL_MAX_STRENGTH_CAPLE-5300.jpg

Maybe you just need a hug?
6a00df351f789488330133f5e45c90970b-800wi

Okay I must say, this is great!!:roflmao:

I didn't realy want this to turn into a bitch fest here. I do understand about the cage I have heard it before. I just wanted to show everyone what we are doing.

I understand where ColoradoRaptor is comming from, he has put in his own time also on this build. I have put in countless hours to get this project going. Today I worked on gathering parts and drove all over Colorado Springs and then out east to get some parts. I am on the phone almost everyday gathering parts, dealing with donations and arranging for work to be done. When you volunteer your time into doing something for others then it gets negative feed back I can see how it can make some upset. We don't get anything out of building this other than knowing that we are doing something to help keep our trails open. We get to say we built one Cool Rig also.

I see a bikini top, cowl hood, and sidePipes. So what's the roadster part? Is it the door openings

WHAT!!! No side pipes? Oh man, way to crush my dreams.

How about some individual throttlebodies for that SBF? :D

inglese4008_600.jpg

I want to put a SBC in my YJ just so I can run that, it looks so cool.

I want to put a SBC in my YJ just so I can run that, it looks so cool.

..........until you gotta rebuild the engine after it's sucked in all that trail dust...... :D

Well thats what filters are for Troy, duh.

HaHa, you could run individual little snorkels

Mike, I've taught classes that would make everyone in Justin's class heads spin. I am an engineer and he is wrong.

Mike, I've taught classes that would make everyone in Justin's class heads spin. I am an engineer and he is wrong.

Good to see the vendor post up, that they've done their homework on the setup. I understand the need to it to be eye catching, it looks great :thumbup: Can't thank those enough working on this and what they've done to help keep wheeling open! (As long as they don't do more things like what happened to Indy :D).

One of my main concerns if it weren't structurally sound...it could actually hurt us in the end as wheelers (i.e. joe blow wins the raffle, rolls it on something he had no business on, and then the wheeling community gets a bad rap).

No disrespect from what i'm about to say Fred, but the phrase "I am an engineer and he is wrong" is the most BS canned response thrown around. I could honestly care less if you were the dean on engineering at a university, i've seen students prove professors wrong...your NEVER to young to learn (not that this is the case). Fred, that may be that you have taught classes...but I can also guarantee I can find several engineering professors at CSU and other schools who would agree with me on a structural stability questioning without further info from the vendor (which has been supplied).

Then again, I bet there are some things in biomedical engineering that I could teach/show you that would make YOUR head spin :D

Whether or not it would fail in a HARD, SERIOUS roll is no matter anymore, the vendor posted up :thumbup:

I hear you, but I'm not a professor, I'm someone that solves real problems every day. Since I'm old and senile, not to mention drinking, my head spins all the time. Your original analysis was wrong, get over it.

Back