• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch fan upgrade

Sounds like you need to visit your Southern neighbors.
(Despite what Bush say.) Yea, come down. I know some American rocks that said "Canadians can't wheels" and need to be shown better. :) Or you could order it over the net. But that don't get your wheels dirty do it.

Ok now here is a question for you guy's. I'm up in Canada and we do have Napa I use them all the time at work(Canadian Tire Auto Parts Counter). I was looking on their page and cross checked the number you gave and this is what I came up with and was wondering if it was right?

Line Code NHG
Part Number A5549
Description Fan Clutch - Thermostatic
Attribute
Comment w/o Maximum Cooling w/ Reverse Rotation Fan Clutch Always Check Rotation, Clutch Hub to Water Pump Mounting Distance and Fan Blade to Clutch Mounting Distance Misalignment or Incorrect Rotation can Result in Vehicle Damage and Possible Personal Injury The Installer/User must be Responsible for Correct Fit and Safe Installation w/ Heavy Duty Fan Clutch

Per Car
Warranty 1 Year or 20,000 Kilometers.
MSDS
Manufacturer Part Number 272310
Manufacturer NAPA Temp
Interchange Comment

Just wondering cause it list's for $136.05 here? That's a big price differance?

Wow, I paid $41.00 and change for mine just the other day from NAPA.

Looking For More Airflow

I recently did this on my 2001. NAPA part 272310 fits just fine.....

I have a 2001 XJ, 4.0 I6, AW4 with AC. I wanted to do a HD clutch fan upgrade and searching this forum it seems the NAPA part number is 272310.......

I just put the ZJ fan clutch on my 2000 with a 3 row CSF radiator and it runs 190 with the A/C on.....

Alright I am looking for a more airflow on my '91 4.0 w/AW4 as well, and it appears that this Napa 272310 is a bolt in upgrade. I currently have a stock replacement, a Hayden 2625, which does lock up, but not until everything is already pretty hot. Stock is likely fine for flatlands, but on the trail and the steep roads I drive to work (16% grades normal) it seems like it just keeps creeping up.

I also run the CSF 3 row all metal rad, and sounds like it still fits, though I thought I remember reading it is VERY tight? I have Prothane solid motor mounts so I am guessing I won't mow down the back of the rad while wheeling, sound correct? Everything else is new, pump, tstat, housing, hoses. Oh, and I could care less about any noise - noise means airflow!

Finally, I have a later model eFan - the one with the S shaped blades and I would like to know if anyone has found a shrouded replacement or upgrade that can fit in there. Has anyone replaced the fan blade assy on the oem mount? Actually tearing into a spare electric motor to see about upgrading it on the oem mount with blade assy here at our shop as there is a motor rewinding shop here too!

Thanks for your input. :)

Re: Looking For More Airflow

I also run the CSF 3 row all metal rad, and sounds like it still fits, though I thought I remember reading it is VERY tight? I have Prothane solid motor mounts so I am guessing I won't mow down the back of the rad while wheeling, sound correct? Everything else is new, pump, tstat, housing, hoses. Oh, and I could care less about any noise - noise means airflow!

This is the only part I can answer - I run the same radiator and the ZJ fan clutch and it's fine. Definitely wouldn't want to do it with stock/worn out motor mounts, but with upgraded mounts from Prothane, Ironman4x4, Brown Dog, etc, you won't have any issues.

Re: Looking For More Airflow

This is the only part I can answer - I run the same radiator and the ZJ fan clutch and it's fine. Definitely wouldn't want to do it with stock/worn out motor mounts, but with upgraded mounts from Prothane, Ironman4x4, Brown Dog, etc, you won't have any issues.

Sounds good thanks buddy! Prolly tear into it tomorrow.

Nice Upgrade! NAPA part 272310

Hey that NAPA part 272310 is a nice upgrade! With AAA discount it was $41 and change out the door.

YES, it does make more fan noise because it is putting the fan to work, but I could care less because of the improvement - It moved my temp needle from riding on the 210 mark about 3/16" cooler to the left, and it stays there up a 2 mile 13% grade without eFan use.

I still have to conquer the heat on the 17% twisting grade that's about 1 mile long at 25mph - it still creeps up so I am not there yet. It goes up until the eFan runs and halts there - but that's a different thread I suppose.

OH, the clearance! This thing is really only about an 1/8" taller than the stock fan clutch because the stocker has those "wings / blades" that stick up from it. However it is a Lot larger diameter, it almost blocks some of the fan, but spins the fan so fast the point is moot - it really cranks out the air - I wonder the CFM now.

Has anyone had this clutch fully engage on a hot day? How loud was That!?! :yap:

Cheers.

I just loosened the top nuts and rocke the rad forward 1/2inch or so n tightened it up.
A piece of poster board against the rad fins spares the fins and your knuckles fwiw.

Unrelated but I have been having some issues on my Cherokee again with it running a bit warm.

I used this fan clutch from 2010 to 2014. Swapped in a Hayden fan clutch for a 4.0L Cherokee - 2 years later it went bad. I was able to jam a pencil in it with the engine running at 220 and it stopped. So ... I thought I would put this one back in.

However, I threw it out 2 years ago when I put in the "regular" fan clutch.

I just called Napa and asked what it interchanged with. I didn't see it on any sort of ZJ in the junkyard, however, when working on a friend's 2.5L Cherokee, it looked identical.

According to Napa, it's the 4 cylinder fan clutch from a 2.5L YJ TJ and XJ.

Back