• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Christmas Tree Run 2014 (December 13th)

I'm out too.... No snow and I have too much stuff to do to the jeep!

I hope we get some snow soon!

I really hope there is enough people, even just a couple rigs, to keep this going. Great tradition, would suck to see it end. Who really cares about snow. Its really just an excuse to get out in the woods, meet some new people, and see old friends. Sucks to see that just cause no snow some are bowing out. This is all we used to do,at 11-12pm/am-"hey, what are you doing?" "Nothing" "alright,lets hit up the hills and hang out for a bit, build a fire and kick it". " Sounds good im on my way"... it was about the comraderie, the experience, getting a chance, any chance to hit up the hills. I know its so much better with snow, butvthst is just a bonus to the hills. I would love to be there, but my son has a game I can't miss.

Say's someone who isn't going! Lol

You haven't spent much time on 'goat mountain' have you?

Last edited:
Say's someone who isn't going! Lol

You haven't spent much time on 'goat mountain' have you?
Yep, wanted to go, but it was my sons first basketball game, first game playing anything ever, so I chose my son as a priority. And yeah, I've spent more time up on goat than you could imagine. I have been going up there since 88-89. We used to climb the far tower when it was still a wooden look out tower and just hang out. When you would go up there in may and june and there was still 2 feet or so of snow. When the 5 way led to some of the coolest areas around, filling up the tank, plus 2 5gal reserves, and just drive the spur roads out of curiosity, just to see what coolness lies ahead. Going up and almost everytime, and there was someone who misjudged the small looking mud hole below the 5way and ended up on their side, stuck in a 3-4' deep hole. Back before gates impeded access, when the quarry up resort rd was the party spot. The old huge mud hole on the left about 2 miles past mt hood natnl forest sign that we would drive through, all the old cool spots that are no longer there. When you could hill climb up the side of the hill down the road across from mt. Forest sign, and pop out back up on hillock rd. We helped pull and clear the way for qwest up to the towers in the snow so they could fix broken recievers.

Many random 10pm calls to go up and bonfire it up, all the while pulling people out of ditches on the way up to memaloose side, rock quarry. A time when you could still see mt.hood in full view below the 5 way, until the trees grew to big. Shit, my 9 year old has probably spent morevtime up there than alot of people. Been up there when a guy commited suicide on the cut over road (fs rd 4510)to colton side. My buddies little brother died falling off the cliff at the towers, sad day. Driving down to clear lake, riding quads on memaloose lake when it was frozen. I remember when the car below the towers still had paint on it and you could actually see it. I know of so many old bypass roads to the towers, down to clear lake...The list goes on and on and on and on. But, I'll say that yeah, in the past year, I haven't spent much time up there...

I really hope there is enough people, even just a couple rigs, to keep this going. Great tradition, would suck to see it end. Who really cares about snow. Its really just an excuse to get out in the woods, meet some new people, and see old friends. Sucks to see that just cause no snow some are bowing out. This is all we used to do,at 11-12pm/am-"hey, what are you doing?" "Nothing" "alright,lets hit up the hills and hang out for a bit, build a fire and kick it". " Sounds good im on my way"... it was about the comraderie, the experience, getting a chance, any chance to hit up the hills. I know its so much better with snow, butvthst is just a bonus to the hills. I would love to be there, but my son has a game I can't miss.

Ill be it sad to say, but the things you speak of are all but gone around here. The chapter has resorted to The "good ole boys" club. There is no real concern for who shows up, how many show, or if everybody even has a good time.

Here is a quote I got via PM. it seems to be where this club is at.

"I'm sorry to say nothing is going to change with the club. Why try and put on a fake image just to try and please people? I believe in just being real, down to earth, and just going wheeling. If someone is offended by a conversation at the campfire, sorry but that's life. The fairytale NWC you constantly mention (massive turnouts, north end participation, etc) is just that. We can't recreate the past, only move into the future. If we gain a few members, awesome, but setting these massive goals just sets us up for failure. I've accepted this, and now go out to wheel with the close friends I've made on here."

With the lack of support for change, and the mentality of "I've accepted this, and now go out to wheel with the close friends I've made on here"
Thing are doomed for the future.

I look forward to a NAXJA NWC that is whole again. But lets face it. Probably not going to happen any time soon. there are reasons Ive met so many good friends here on NAXJA. sad to say, But those reasons have all but left our chapter.

Bronze.

I'll take the day off and take the lead on this run...
It's sad that the guy who was going to step up and take lead on this didnt put forth the effort to ensure he would have the day off to actually DO what he volunteered to do.... Doesnt leave much faith in how things would be lead once he's in a BOD position.

Nope we pull out at 8:01am and will be on CH4 on the CB so if you are running late shoot out a text to someone or best of luck to you, try and catch up and get us on the CB
Cant really remember any NAXJA event where we had a rollout earlier than 9.... but in any case, this too is a shame that one of the people that give others so much crap for not showing up to runs, himself doesn't show up... and this is the guy who wants to be president....
Three minutes till "Scott & Nick's Rollout" and i was the only one there.... Hmmmm......

Way to be a dick Gresham boys
I think this pretty much was the proverbial nail getting hit on the head.

I really hope there is enough people, even just a couple rigs, to keep this going..
And thats just about all that showed up. :(
Thanks to those who DID show up though.
Glad to see some of the newer guys to the chapter had the wherewithal to make the effort.

I guess there's always next year.... :dunno:

Look..

You guys need to cool it.. Grow up a little bit.

I gave ample warning. Just like the OP. Emergencies happen.

I had to work late last night, so either way I wouldn't have made it.

Like I said, my job got in the way so why don't you relax josh.

And you are the only one to show up so you are mad at Scott and I?

What about everyone else? Seems like you have it out for us josh. That's to bad.

As I recall joe was giving him crap for not coming josh.

Not me, and at any point what dose that matter to you? You where going and his JOKE was not directed at you

Last edited:
Don't worry I'll be back next year. But my idea for next years toys run (if i can make it work) will be a meet n greet at Dornbecker for their toy drive event where the kids get to come down and pick a toy from the table and such. I'll be getting ahold of their pr person early next year. This whole thing of the toy run being married to the tree run isn't working out and usually happens after most toy drives end. I'll keep ya posted.

It's usually scheduled the weekend most toy drives wrap up. (Les Schwab's ended yesterday) The real problem is people think of it as a snow run then pout when there isn't snow.

Perhaps a new place and elevation to have the tree run would garner better participation. You know, a night tree run with Christmas light decorated rigs would be cool.

Back