• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CheapCherokee's all purpose MJ Build

its funny you ask :D

here is what she looks like as of today:
IMG_20120418_172421.jpg

i'd say its about 95% done, its been taking forever to complete, being gone for all of last week hasn't helped any. i've been lacking on taking photos just because this project is so exhausting and just a giant headache. hopefully driving it out soon

Friends helping friends

While you were away, Greg & Gary put in both drive shafts for you:

IMG_1369.jpg

They also raised the front end real high on jack stands because someone thinks your going to be asking someone to do some welding for you. :gonnablow

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Well I finally got it running on Saturday, only to discover some new problems. The fuel rail inlet line is now leaking at the high pressure fitting. There's an exhaust leak coming from cylinder 6. And now my fuel pump isn't working. I also just started up work again, so I don't have as much time to work on it. Hopefully I can work out the bugs and get it back on the road soon!

well i had a good day today.

IMG_20120427_180717.jpg

came by after work and managed to get it drivable in about an hour! finally everything went right. the fuel pump problem was just the relay, the exhaust leak was just bolts needing tightening, and i was able to splice in the new fuel line section rather quickly. i do however have an exhaust leak at the collector on the "new" header. should be a simple fix. there are also some little things that still need to be done, but nothing too bad. Im sure Fred will post up a video eventually. she sounds great now :D the cam definitely makes it sound a lot better.

unexpected score today. picked up 2 more bilstein 7100s this time in the 10" flavor, non resi. got both for $60, a little beat up and needing a recharge. unknown valving, but even if i get them rebuilt i still got a good deal. the 10s will go in the front and the 8s in the rear. according to my measurements i should be able to fit them with my current 3" lift. this means i have $160 invested in a full set of 7100s. sweeeeeet :greensmok

IMG_20120428_161318.jpg

little update i suppose. made a scrap steel run a few days ago so the thing got to get weighted. On the way out, i learned the thing weights 3900 lbs! :shocked:

i didn't think the wildernest camper would've added so much weight! it weighted 3500 when it was still bone stock, before i added the camper or the 8.8 and the small lift. supposedly the camper is only supposed to weight 250, but that could be wrong lol. Im kinda bummed because i haven't really added much armor yet and I'm already close to 4000 lbs, i was hoping to keep the build on the lighter side but i don't think that can happen now. looks like its gonna be one heavy pig once i build bumpers for it and am fully loaded on a week long excursion. definitely going to re-think how i build rock sliders and bumpers for it now that I'm shooting to keep things on the lighter side

It adds up fast. My Jeep (XJ) weighs ~4150 lbs according to the weigh station. I was shocked when I saw the display on the side of the building.

I'm not too surprised. 8.8s are freakin' heavy, I'd guess 200-250lbs, compared to a 35 that weighs what, 150 or so? I can pick one up without leafs or pick up / drag one with leafs, so I'm guessing around that... add the tires, some armor, and the camper and 3900 is easy to hit.

I wonder what mine weighs now.

some goodies arrived from UPS.

IMG_20120522_141954.jpg

new RE track bar, mount, and brace. will probably be putting it on soon. shouldn't have to worry about my track bar ever again (or at least for a very long time).
BTW i ordered these from Serious Off Road. best prices i could find anywhere and they got here really quick!

another thing I'm considering is front frame stiffeners. either Liquid Iron industries or HD Off Road Engineering units. just because i plan to beat on this thing for a while and they should help the front end hold up for longer, but on the other hand none of the guys i wheel with have them and their XJs have been holding up fine.

Last edited:
been wrapping up the floor work. patched the remaining rust holes, then went to town with seam sealer followed by Herculiner.

sealed

IMG_20120523_163138.jpg

1st coat herculiner

IMG_20120523_173702.jpg

2nd coat

IMG_20120524_154415.jpg

and now I'm putting the carpet and stuff back in. feels like i haven't run with carpet in forever :D i have a center console from a 98 XJ that i'll be putting in as well ( cupholders woooo! :party: )

Lookin good Matt!

I would recommend plating the frame rails. Even with mild use, add to that the weight of camping gear, the unibodies take a beating.

It's cheap insurance.

Back