• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CheapCherokee's all purpose MJ Build

fixed that part already, i replaced the CCV tube and rubber grommet and now i don't have anything coming out through the valve cover. i do need to re do the valve cover gasket (for the 4th time) and see if that helps again. it usually started leaking after a week, but that might have been caused by the old faulty CCV tube creating so much pressure.

Great find on the camper. I like where your build is going. I like watching the Jeepspeed guys go fast, would like to have the skills to rockcrawl and get over any obstacle, but for now an expedition exploring rig is for me. I can afford to damage or destroy my daily driver.

I picked up some 14 gauge sheet remnants at Schorr Metals to do my passenger floor board. It's not as rough as yours but I can see the road too! They sell remnants/ surpluss steel for 55 cents a pound, a piece big enough for the floor was 9 bucks.

If you want to check your engine to see where it's at, I have a cylinder leak down tester you can borrow. You would need a air compressor to use it though.

-Charles

I like where your build is going. I like watching the Jeepspeed guys go fast, would like to have the skills to rockcrawl and get over any obstacle, but for now an expedition exploring rig is for me.

It all depends on how you build it. Spend you time building and fabricating and it can do almost everything. There are a few if us around that can do the go fast and hit the huge rocks then drive home on the freeway at 80mph :)

It all depends on how you build it. Spend you time building and fabricating and it can do almost everything. There are a few if us around that can do the go fast and hit the huge rocks then drive home on the freeway at 80mph :)

and drive home after wheeling while pulling my buddys broken jeep on my flatbed at 80...

first i wanna point out that i just went RED. member status woohoo :party:

next, i'd like to give a HUGE thanks to the member frontman. Without this guy, i wouldnt be able to get the wildernest. Basically the seller needed it gone a week before i could make it up there. Lucas volunteered to go pick it up for me and hold on to it for a week until i made it up there. I had never even met the guy, i could not believe someone was willing to do this for a complete stranger over the internet. He arranged everything up there and made it happen, using up both his time and gas. Once again, thanks Lucas for making this possible!

So today i was able to get my $50 WilderNest open! (i wasn't kidding when i said killer deal)

IMG_2832.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg

inside:

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

its missing some little things, like the stabilizer poles, inside poles, mattress, and upper window corner brackets, but other than that all the main stuff is there! its pretty dirty as you can see, but it doesn't really smell so i don't think theres much mildew and stuff growing in it. the fabric/canvas has some small holes in some spots, i'll be looking at repairing those. the poles have some surface rust on them, i'll be taking them all out, going down to bare metal and painting them with galvanized paint. tent will obviously get cleaned well. the rear window lift struts are shot, gotta find some replacements for those. despite all the stuff it needs i'd say i still got a killer deal for $50! can't wait to mount it up to the truck and use it once its done :greensmok:

Great find on the camper. I like where your build is going. I like watching the Jeepspeed guys go fast, would like to have the skills to rockcrawl and get over any obstacle, but for now an expedition exploring rig is for me. I can afford to damage or destroy my daily driver.

I picked up some 14 gauge sheet remnants at Schorr Metals to do my passenger floor board. It's not as rough as yours but I can see the road too! They sell remnants/ surpluss steel for 55 cents a pound, a piece big enough for the floor was 9 bucks.

If you want to check your engine to see where it's at, I have a cylinder leak down tester you can borrow. You would need a air compressor to use it though.

-Charles

thanks! i like your point, while i would also like to do those things, its just not in the budget right now, especially since this truck is still my DD. Expo style wheeling is still fun, i'll probably be rocking this setup for a while before i go any further. the next big thing (after the camper) will probably be tires, which i've decided that i'm willing to go up to 33s. i figure by keeping it this way i can also expect more of a challenge on tougher obstacles which keeps things fun :D

for the floor board i've already purchased a replacement from rock auto, i just haven't gotten around to putting it in yet.

i may take you up on that leak down tester, this oil leak is rather frustrating

I'm so jealous you found that wilderness so cheap, lol. You're pretty local, if you ever need a hand I'm free most weekends.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I'm so jealous you found that wilderness so cheap, lol. You're pretty local, if you ever need a hand I'm free most weekends.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

thanks! i remember seeing your thread when you got your camper shell. i saw that same shell in CL and was thinking of getting it; I'm glad i waited lol. yeah you are pretty close to me, i've seen your rig several times parked in whittier near Michigan park. i think you have a similar axle setup, with 4.10s and an 8.8. i know you have a manual but i've been wanting to ask you how it runs on the freeway with the 33s and 4.10s, been thinking about going straight to 33s

well i got the tent part off the shell today. took a couple hours, some of the outside screws were pretty rusty so the heads stripped out. some fun times with vice grips and a drill. i can already tell that i'll be going with once size thicker screws all the way around since the ones i pulled today didn't have much bite.

IMG_2841.jpg

its getting dark, so tomorrow i'll be figuring out how to clean the thing and repair the small holes in it.

Yeah, I live two blocks from Michigan park. My truck does well on the freeway, there are times I wish I had a little more power for passing, but it gets up to 80 and cruises just fine. If I drive conservatively I avg about 17mpg.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Sleeping Motel????

From the size of that tent you'll be able to rent space to some of the other guys in the group when bad weather arrives.

Looks like a great find!

I'm looking into a roof top model this week, we'll see........

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Re: Sleeping Motel????

From the size of that tent you'll be able to rent space to some of the other guys in the group when bad weather arrives.

Looks like a great find!

I'm looking into a roof top model this week, we'll see........

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

the tent is big, however the sleeping area is not. supposedly you can fit 2 on it but it seems like it'd be a tight fit. I'm considering building a plywood platform in the bed, with compartments underneath for storage and having the main platform carpeted so maybe 2 more can sleep in the truck bed. we'll see though, i would want the compartments to be built to hold specific items to maximize available space. and when bigger tires come i'll have to put the spare in the back so that will take up space too. i guess in time i will have this figured out. for now i just wanna get the 'nest dialed in :D

Man, now that I see the pics I am even more jealous. You got a good tent dude. Cant wait to see it finished.

Well i've since gotten the 'Nest up on the MJ. i started putting the tent back onto the frame but its not quite on yet. there are so many screws that hold the thing down and they're all pretty tight so its taking a long time to get them in. I also just picked up 4 little tread 245/75 MTRs and 3 16X8 cragar D windows for FREE! thanks to Cameron aka praetorian :party: I'm on the hunt for a 4th rim but i may end up just buying one new.

here's a teaser pic with the wildernest folded out and 2 of the tire and rims on :clap:

IMG_2871.jpg

and a couple more angles for your enjoyment

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

I'm really digging the look already! my goal is to be running 33s, but these will hold me over until then.

oh and one last thing i picked up yesterday as well :D

IMG_2869.jpg

8" travel bilstein 7100s which i got for a screaming deal. should be perfect for the lift i have now.

beautiful. I love it.

well something happened today that required it be towed home...

IMG_20120116_165115.jpg

i was driving to my uncles house a few miles away early this morning (we car pool to work) and noticed my brakes were occasionally getting spongey. i thought oh well i'll check it out when i get back from work and see whats up. so i get back, start up the truck and push my foot on the brake and it goes all the way to the floor. i check the master cylinder and find that the rear resi is low. so i top it off and try it and find it still mushy. i get out and look under the jeep and find a nice big puddle of brake fluid. took a look under the frame rail and found that my lines are indeed leaking, and super rusty. while i still had front brakes, i opted not to try to drive it home since my E brake still isn't hooked up and i have AAA so the tow was free anyways.

so its time to replace all the brake lines! i figure i might as well do them all while I'm at it, plus it gives me a good opportunity to swap in the 98 brake booster i have and delete the load sensing valve in the rear. I'm also gonna go ahead and fix the rusted out floor too while the brake lines are out of the way. looks like i have a long weekend ahead of me :eyes:

Yeah, I saw you truck this morning, just around the corner from me. Good luck with the fix. Otherwise she's looking good.

ad3390a4-268f-de2b.jpg

Back