• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CheapCherokee's all purpose MJ Build

Nice MJ, Nice build!

Nice Manche! I have a 87 MJ 4.0L 5 speed 4wd. Same blue color. I have a wildernest also, but it was missing the tent (tent no longer available). I sold the shell to fellow off roader that drove up from Arizona for it.

Same thing just happened to my blue 88 while I had it parked... pulled the gas tank and a super rusty brake line collapsed :( I think all MJs have rusty brake lines.

At least you didn't crash. Good luck putting new lines in, it is easiest to do the rears properly with the tank out but can be done with it in if you have to, just wont be pretty.

its got a full tank of gas in it, so i probably won't even try to drop the tank. i also have the factory gas tank skid in the way, we'll see if i take it off or work around it.

I don't think there is many options to work around it. A jack will make dropping and raising the full fuel tank an easy task.

Last edited:
I've always just gotten a few jerry cans and used the fuel pump to empty the tank. Toss a hose on the pump and drop it in the can, jumper the fuel pump relay, sit back, light up a cigarette... :flame::explosion

It can be a real bear to get the tank in and out with the driveshaft in place, so might want to plan on dropping the back end of it at least.

while you're re-doing the brakes eliminate that stupid load sensing valve from the system if you haven't already, before that blows apart on you too.

I don't think there is many options to work around it. A jack will make dropping and raising the full fuel tank an easy task.

I've always just gotten a few jerry cans and used the fuel pump to empty the tank. Toss a hose on the pump and drop it in the can, jumper the fuel pump relay, sit back, light up a cigarette... :flame::explosion

It can be a real bear to get the tank in and out with the driveshaft in place, so might want to plan on dropping the back end of it at least.

hmm we'll see what i do then, although i was really hoping to avoid dropping the tank. actually, i believe i have more than enough cans to store the gas, so that shouldn't be a problem.

okay, so I'm finally making some progress. between work and school i haven't had much time to work on it. today i got done with the brakes. i have successfully swapped in the 98 booster/master (with ZJ disk brake prop valve installed), made extensions for the old brake lines, ran a new line to the rear, eliminated the adjustable load sensing valve, and added a long dakota rear brake line. bled the brakes and all is well, no leaks! i ended up not having to drop the tank. the stock line literally ran straight through the side of the tank, with some minor bending i was able to snake it through and reused the stock clip that held it in.

im redoing my interior, so i haven't been able to drive it yet. i got some bucket seats from Boostamante so I'm working on getting those in. i also have a center console from a 98 that I'm fitting as well, cupholders!!! :D but before i do any of that I'm fixing the floorboard, so thats next on the list. i'll try and get some pics tomorrow

aaaaaand. i ordered a 4th rim for that set of 3 i got for free, so i have some wheeling tires now :D i can't wait to take it out and wheeeeel

been making some progress on the floor

before, i ended up cutting off more than this but you get the idea

425490_3180256115302_1532665635_32902440_798704006_n.jpg

where I'm at now:

IMG_20120208_150918.jpg

some more welding, couple more patch panels to make, and lots of grinding left before i'll be done. i haven't driven the truck in like 3 weeks, i can't wait to get behind the wheel of it again :roll:

My floors look like that in my XJ. Fixing it this week, but I'm dropping it off at the shop...:flamemad:

I'm gonna pick up a welder after I move to Louisiana, and maybe take a class at the local tech college.

Nice job. Cool MJ!

My floors look like that in my XJ. Fixing it this week, but I'm dropping it off at the shop...:flamemad:

I'm gonna pick up a welder after I move to Louisiana, and maybe take a class at the local tech college.

Nice job. Cool MJ!

thanks! it felt like i spent a ton of time fixing it, but my driveway setup isn't the greatest. any day i wanted to work on it i'd have to roll out everything from the garage up my driveway to the MJ sitting on a car trailer because our parking situation is so tight. but i can't complain because i have access to a plasma and a decent welder, i know i would've hated if i had to use the angle grinders for all cutting. if your paying a shop you are probably going to be paying a ton of $$$ in labor, as you probably already know. sucks

when you buy your welder just make sure to get a good name brand, like Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart. a class could teach you or if you have a buddy who welds decently have him teach you. I have no formal training, my dad sells welding equipment for a living so naturally he would have a welder and do a little welding, so he taught me when i was like 12 :D

best of luck to ya

been making some progress on the floor

before, i ended up cutting off more than this but you get the idea

425490_3180256115302_1532665635_32902440_798704006_n.jpg

where I'm at now:

IMG_20120208_150918.jpg

some more welding, couple more patch panels to make, and lots of grinding left before i'll be done. i haven't driven the truck in like 3 weeks, i can't wait to get behind the wheel of it again :roll:

That Plasma gun handle looks familiar......glad to see it's getting some use. Should have another trip scheduled soon so maybe you'll be able to give the brakes a try.......

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

well new problems have arose but new improvements are coming! fixed the driver side floor for the most part, started prepping to do some small patches on the passenger side, then last thursday night i was coming home from class and it started making a horrible knocking noise. it also started leaking oil like none other, i mean it was bad before but now it was just pouring out it seemed. it made it home, left a nice cloud of smoke behind me :gee:

edit: heres the knocking shortly after it started:

so now i am forced to do an engine swap. even if the knocking was tolerable, i can't drive it around dumping oil out everywhere i go. I was actually preparing to do an engine swap anyways, just wasn't anticipating to have to do it this soon. oh well. the replacement engine is a long block out of a good friend of mine's (Explorer 1) XJ with around 130k on the bottom end and 10k on a brand new head. a used Comp Cam and lifters are going in as well as a high volume melling oil pump, and brown dog motor mounts.

started working on it today, with me and a friend of mine working we had everything but the top bell housing bolts, torque converter and exhaust unhooked and ready to pull.
IMG_20120312_155536.jpg

resuming work on thursday, where we hope to have the engine pulled and start swapping things over to the "new" long block.

Last edited:
Back