• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cheap engine oil

Nothing about NAPA is cheap. I'd say having clean oil is more important especially if you've had to push it longer and longer without a change.

Rotella T at walmart, its good for your rockers :thumbup:. Unless it's super cold where you live right now.

if all you can afford is the walmart oil then run it. Change it on a normal interval and keep it up to the correct fluid level. You will be fine. A normal 4.0 does not require anything special as far as lubricants go.

i ran the walmart syn in my vw for one oil change since it was too cheap to pass up - seemed to run well - i have two spare quarts in the garage to top off both heeps every now and then

some stuff i found online:

"I've been running 5w30 super tech in my 2000 nissan xterra with 120000 mostly city miles and 2004 nissan sentra with 150000 mostly highway miles and couldn't be happier. I change my oil every 5000 miles and also use the super tech oil filter and niether vehicle uses any oil between changes and both run great. They told me here in Tennessee that super tech oil is made by penzoil. I also use the other super tech products such as coolant, power steering fluid, ect. when needed."

"I was told by Tech Support at Royal Dutch Shell Corporation, (the makers of Quaker State, Pennzoil, and Rotella engine lubricants) that the Walmart brand of full synthetic oil (that is bottled by Warren Packaging Co. for Walmart), is supplied to Warren by Royal Dutch Shell, and is virtually "identical" to Pennzoil Platinum.
I have used Pennzoil Platimum with excellent results. Shell has always made excellent lubricants, ask any truckers or heavy equipment operators who use Rotella, they consider it the "standard".

Also... In my part of the country most of the other versions of Walmart regular engine oil is supplied to Warren by Exx"

Walmarts Super Tech oil is awesome. I have used ST 10w-30 from day 1 on a new 2000 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4. I currently have 60000 miles on this. Mostly city driving, light 4 wheeling in the snow and light trailer towing. I change my oil every 4 months (3 times a year) reguardless of milage. I decided to do 2 oil analysis via Blackstone Labs. I sent 1 oil sample during the winter months and 1 from the summer months. All my readings came back excellent, and it was recommended to extend my oil drain intervals.

He can afford to drive it around, but can't afford reasonably cheap and simple maintance?

Check out your local farm impliment store, they sell oil by the gallon. Also, check the paper, oil is often on sale. No matter how cheap (inexpensive) the oil, regular oil and filter changes are the name of the game.

As a side note: Our companys fleet policy now changes oil every 14K instead of the 7K indicated by the Chevy owners manual/idiot light. My bet is that nation wide, it saves them tons of money. Then again, this is a fleet we are talking about. 14K may be not even be 6 months worth of driving.

Ron

He can afford to drive it around, but can't afford reasonably cheap and simple maintance?

Exactly! Park it if you can't afford Oil for it. I ran the Napa stuff in the old jeep for what would be its last oil change. It was good stuff and fairly cheap!

Exactly! Park it if you can't afford Oil for it. I ran the Napa stuff in the old jeep for what would be its last oil change. It was good stuff and fairly cheap!

I drive it alot,going to school, almost all of my money goes into the gas for a lonnng commute..puttin on like 150 miles a day ...thanks for the advice guys

Has anyone mentioned the vatozone oil change specials? And even tho people say synthetic is pricey.. at the recommended intervals, it really is not that much.

I do not know if it is still valid, but there was a dealer oil change coupon on here a while back.

I drive it alot,going to school, almost all of my money goes into the gas for a lonnng commute..puttin on like 150 miles a day ...thanks for the advice guys

Hey I hear ya but you can get an entire oil change from Autozone for about 20 bucks. If you can't afford that you should wait another week and save the money. I fukky understand the No money thing though. I am laid off and the money hasn't started rolling in from unemployment yet! :(

All part stores do that. That's nothing special to walmart..

worked parts at Advance for 4 years during college. Walmart had better prices on a regular basis. The OP asked about walmart oil, so I was speaking about walmart deals.

thanks for the input though chief.

Back