• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Radio

afjeep2082

NAXJA Forum User
Hello I got a good deal on a Cobra 19DXIII and dual 2' antenas, the CB is mounted by the driver right leg to the left of the shifter and the dual antenas are mounted on the rear light tabs of my roof rack. My reception is pretty bad and the squelch only goes about a quarter turn before it cuts out. This is my first time working with CB's and atennas so I'm not quite sure what the problem is. Can some one let me know what I might look at to correct this?

Use only one antenna, co-phasing (running two antennas) only works when they are farther apart. It looks cool and balanced, yes, but it kills transmit and recieve. Either that or leave both but only run coax to one. Keeps the look, and you hear/transmit better.

ok I disconected on of them and it went from 2-3 on the indicator to 0 bliping 1 every now and then, so that didn't work.....anyother suggestions?

is your roofrack grounded? the mount has to be grounded for the system to work.

also take hot (+) power directly from the battery through a sheilded cable to get the least interfierance. ground it anywhere, doesnt matter. running off an accesory output add "dirty" signal and ground hum...

afjeep2082 said:
Hello I got a good deal on a Cobra 19DXIII and dual 2' antenas, the CB is mounted by the driver right leg to the left of the shifter and the dual antenas are mounted on the rear light tabs of my roof rack. My reception is pretty bad and the squelch only goes about a quarter turn before it cuts out. This is my first time working with CB's and atennas so I'm not quite sure what the problem is. Can some one let me know what I might look at to correct this?
on the tips of the atennas thers should be screws that turn in and out. you need to adjust the swr's. also i mounted my cb on the passenger side, it makes the ride better for you.

I run a single firestick but a good friend has dual firesticks mounted above his rear tail lights. Mine is clear and nice, But with the dual he can hear and transmit about 1.5 times of my range. Get an SWR meter at radio shack or like store. You want the signal when you key the mic around 1 I belive.?. Anyway's do this and make sure they are grounded and you should have no problems.
Good luck,
Seth

SWRs only affect transmission, not reception, but it wouldn't hurt to check and set that. There is nothing quite like antenna height. Get a taller antenna like a wilson 1K (62" tall) and you'll be far better off. Also, get some good coax. RG58 is junk, get at least mini 8 - the thicker the better. Also take the power to the radio straight from the battery, as mentioned previously - that cuts down on the noise from the engine.

I have a cobra 19 also, don't really like it because there is no noise limiter. The quarter turn for the squelch is normal. Turn your squelch all the way down (off) to hear weak signals.

Terrain is also very improtant. If you have a solid rock mountain between you and your buddy, don't expect a whole lot. General CB range is 5-8 miles, more if you are on a hill top.

Regards,

SimpleXJ

Last edited:
Back