• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cars you hate

The starter on my Jeep is a Mitsubishi product, and many other parts are Canadian. Welcome to the age of international commerce.

ladywolf said:
those scion things.....its a box around a stereo system and four wheels....by far the ugliest thing i've ever seen...
interesting how this almost sounds like ours

triumphs are some bad ass cars, fast and not to shabby on the eyes

Lawn Cher' said:
So you essentially hate modern Chrysler, GM, Ford, Japanese cars, European cars, Korean cars (Hyundai & Kia.) What does that leave?

You left Yugo out of your list. :wierd:

Holy Cow!! Yugo - I don't care where it's from.

David Letterman (when he was still on NBC): Top ten car names not picked-up for production - I don't remember the whole list, but two of them were the Ford Gelding and the Yugo Screw Yourself :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3: Funny stuff.

My Dad was sorely disapointed when Iococca "saved" Chysler. Dad figured if Chrysler went under there would be an entire nation of cheap spare parts for him to scavage. He used to say, "F&ckin' Fords and Gad Domn Chivalays." You got to stretch out the chiiiivalay so you can spit when you say it. I don't want to get flamed mind you. I'm just sayin', that's how I grew up.

As far as German? Crap. British? even worse crap if you can believe it. Japanese? Take a good look. The Japanese took their auto technology from the Germans during WW II era. They still use German accessories. You'll find alot of Bosche on Japanese stuff. The rear brakes on a early K-body Aries are exactly the same as a 60's Volkswagon brakes which are darn near exactly the brakes on the wife's '99 Grand Caravan. I popped the hood on an early horizon once and what do you think was staring back at me? The motor had VW cast right into the side of the crankcase. As far as I care Japanese = German. British remains in a class of their own :laugh3:

Keep it goin'! I love this thread.

What does that leave? Why, Jeep of course.

Lawn Cher' said:
The starter on my Jeep is a Mitsubishi product, and many other parts are Canadian. Welcome to the age of international commerce.

Well, that's true. And it's a darn shame. The best was the old Chysler starter. Only $0.40 cents for the selinoid stud. Now you can't even buy them separate. There's some kind of overhaul kit for the starter that just means there's a bunch of crap to throw away after you replace the stud. Also, I miss the old altenators where you could solder in new diodes.

Roll-over said:
Subaru's are Aussie.

Eh? Japanese, built in Indiana. More American than a lot of the 'American' cars assembled in Mexico.

Ford owns Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, Volvo, Jaguar, Land-Rover, and Aston-Martin (url=http://www.ford.com/en/company/about/brands/default.htm]source[/url]).

GM has Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, GMC, Oldsmobile, Saturn, Hummer, and Saab (source). Daewoos are now being rebadged as Chevrolets (now GM's 'global' brand); in the US, the Aveo is the first incarnation of this.

There are no more (insert nationality here) cars any longer. Everyone owns everyone else, and it's all so incestuous that the next generation of cars will have seven wheels and all windows in a common socket. Er, panel.

Hell, even the French own Nissan these days...

XJ Dreamin' said:
As far as German? Crap. British? even worse crap if you can believe it.

Out of curiosity, how many vehicles from either country have you owned?

Japanese? Take a good look. The Japanese took their auto technology from the Germans during WW II era.

Not completely. Most of the Japanese auto industry was built on licence-built British designs, and even Mitsubishi manufactured the CJ-2 for a time. The Germans had surprisingly little input into the Japanese industry; the Italians almost had more, come to think of it.

They still use German accessories. You'll find alot of Bosche on Japanese stuff.

And American, and German, and British, and...

I'm willing to bet that your O2 sensor(s) are Bosch, the relays in the PDC Siemens, and your A/C compressor probably a Sanden. German, German, Japanese. And that's the tip of the iceberg compared to the parts on an XJ Lawn Cher' already pointed out.

The rear brakes on a early K-body Aries are exactly the same as a 60's Volkswagon brakes which are darn near exactly the brakes on the wife's '99 Grand Caravan.

Okay... Your point?

I popped the hood on an early horizon once and what do you think was staring back at me? The motor had VW cast right into the side of the crankcase. As far as I care Japanese = German. British remains in a class of their own :laugh3:

And a good number of Chrysler's current V6s are reconstituted Mitsubishi units, many of Ford's engines are European units, GM has the GTO which is Australian-built... The list goes on.

Why, Jeep of course.

Yup. It's as American as sauerkraut on sushi wrapped up in filoux pastry - we neglected to mention that large parts of its original design were carried out under Renault's direction, so there's some French in there too...

And furthermore: calling a 4-cylinder FWD Mitsubishi a "Charger" and Mitsubishi stealing the "Lancer" name should be capital crimes

The L Body Chargers were Chryslers (and built in Belvedere, IL), not Mitsubishi or VW, same with the K-Car and it's spin-offs. However they did use Mitsu 2.6 motors in some of the K-Cars and it's spin-offs (and you'll see more of those in the boneyards than any of the 2.2/2.5's too) and some of the L-Bodies did you Volkswagen engines till the 2.2 was developed, I just don't know where the 1.8 in the later Omnirizon's came from. I was a bit pissed when Mitsu started putting Lancer on it's compact sedan, seemed like an insult to the 60's and 80's Dodge Lancers, but probably had more market share as a Mitsubishi instead of a Mopar.

XJ Dreamin' said:
Holy Cow!! Yugo - I don't care where it's from.

David Letterman (when he was still on NBC): Top ten car names not picked-up for production - I don't remember the whole list, but two of them were the Ford Gelding and the Yugo Screw Yourself :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3: Funny stuff.

My Dad was sorely disapointed when Iococca "saved" Chysler. Dad figured if Chrysler went under there would be an entire nation of cheap spare parts for him to scavage. He used to say, "F&ckin' Fords and Gad Domn Chivalays." You got to stretch out the chiiiivalay so you can spit when you say it. I don't want to get flamed mind you. I'm just sayin', that's how I grew up.

As far as German? Crap. British? even worse crap if you can believe it. Japanese? Take a good look. The Japanese took their auto technology from the Germans during WW II era. They still use German accessories. You'll find alot of Bosche on Japanese stuff. The rear brakes on a early K-body Aries are exactly the same as a 60's Volkswagon brakes which are darn near exactly the brakes on the wife's '99 Grand Caravan. I popped the hood on an early horizon once and what do you think was staring back at me? The motor had VW cast right into the side of the crankcase. As far as I care Japanese = German. British remains in a class of their own :laugh3:

Keep it goin'! I love this thread.

What does that leave? Why, Jeep of course.

Don't forget, though, that the Horizon, like the K-cars, was a US made product, not Japanese. Chrysler bought VW engines for the Omni and Horizon for a few years until they put in their own, but there was no secret about that. As I recall it was essentially a Rabbit long block with Chrysler's own accessories on it, thus presumably combining the worst of both worlds.

The brake adjusters on my XJ have never worked worth a damn, but the adjusters on my son's rotten old Golf work just fine. I wish they'd put VW brakes on the XJ too. They put pieces of everything else in it. Look deep into an AMC-era XJ of, say, 1987, and you'll find not only a Mitsubishi starter, but a Bosch fuel pump, relays by either Lucas, Bosch or a nameless Canadian maker, GM steering, a distributor that is (holy cow!) a Lucas design made by Motorcraft or vice versa, Ducellier or SEV wiper motors, a Renault fuel injection system, and probably an Aisin Warner transmission if it isn't a Peugeot, Dana axles and a Chrysler (New Process) transfer case. So why couldn't they have stolen a better brake design while they were at it?

Matthew Currie said:
a Mitsubishi starter,
THe origanal starter in my 95 XJ was Mitubishi,But it crapped out 30,000 miles ago.

Who owns who

BMW owns:
BMW
Mini
Rolls Royce

Daimler/Chrysler owns:
AMC (brand discontinued -- Chrysler bought AMC primarily for the Jeep brand which was owned by AMC)
Chrysler
Dodge
Eagle (brand discontinued)
Hyundai (Daimler/Chrysler only owns 10% --13 May 04 changes!)
Jeep
Maybach
Mercedes-Benz
Mitsubishi (Daimler/Chrysler owns 37%)
Plymouth (brand discontinued)
Smart

Fiat owns:
Alfa Romeo
Ferrari
Fiat
Lancia
Maserati

Ford owns:
Aston Martin
Ford
Jaguar
Land Rover (bought from BMW)
Lincoln
Mazda (Ford owns 33% of Mazda)
Mercury
Volvo cars

Fuji Heavy Industries owns:
Subaru

General Motors owns:
Buick
Cadillac
Chevrolet
Daewoo (GM owns 44%)
Fiat (GM owns ~20%) (GM has decided to divorce itself from Fiat as of Feb '05)
Fuji Heavy Industries (GM owns ~20%)
GMC
Holden
Hummer
Isuzu (GM only owns a percentage)
Oldsmobile (brand discontinued)
Opel
Pontiac
Saab
Saturn
Subaru (GM owns 20%)
Suzuki (GM only owns a small percentage)
Vauxhall

Honda owns:
Acura
Honda

Hyundai owns:
Hyundai
Kia

Nissan owns:
Infiniti
Nissan
Renault (Nissan owns 15%)

PSA Peugeot Citroen owns:
Citroen
Peugeot

Porsche is an independent company (they do work very closely with VW, however)

Renault owns:
Nissan (Renault owns 44%)

Toyota owns:
Daihatsu (~51%)
Lexus
Scion
Toyota

Volkswagen owns:
Audi
Bentley
Bugatti
Lamborghini
SEAT
Skoda
Volkswagen

1.) Any vehicle equipped with the POS 2.8litre v6 GM engine.
2.) Opel (ugly, slow)
3.) VW new beetle with auto tranny (please)
4.) Any ford (except 1 ton) made in the last 25 years.
5.) Any car equipped with lcd screens because kids watch WAY TOO MUCH TV these days anyway. Especially is said car is a 3 ton gas hog that rides like a couch.
6.) Front wheel drive Honda or other misc. import car with a wing/spoiler over 1 ft. high on the back.

By the way, Subaru is a Japanese brand and really called Fuji Heavy Industries. Holden I believe is the the Australian car (its GM) I think they even came out with some muscle car clones. http://www.holden.com.au

Oh and to all the "don't buy rice" folks look where they are made. Ford- Hermosillo (all 2 door models). VW - Puebla, MX (all American models). BMW - S. Carolina and Germany. Chevy - D.F., other Mexican cities, Detroit. Dodge has Mexican and U.S. manufacturing. Honda - Ohio. Nissan - Aguascalientes, Japan. Subaru - Indiana, Japan. Toyota - Japan and U.S., add Tijuana to that soon. A GM car assembled in the US may have a motor from Mexico, transmission from Canada, computer from Korea, owners manual from Ireland. You get the point, its not logical to base your vehicle choice on country of origin.

Last edited:
bajacalal said:
TV these days anyway. Especially is said car is a 3 ton gas hog that rides like a couch.
Let me guess. you are a younger kid...problebly a colage student with out kids....IF you ever had to take a trip with kids you would feel completly different.

What do you consider a 3 ton gas hog? and also why do you hate said vehicle?

You kind of sound like one of those leftist weenies....or at least a youngster that doesn't know any better yet.

DrMoab said:
Let me guess. you are a younger kid...problebly a colage student with out kids....IF you ever had to take a trip with kids you would feel completly different.

What do you consider a 3 ton gas hog? and also why do you hate said vehicle?

You kind of sound like one of those leftist weenies....or at least a youngster that doesn't know any better yet.

A.) I am a registered Republican.
B.) 3 ton vehicle of reference is an Escalade, the Lincoln pickup, Suburban (gas model) and H2. I have no problem with vehicles that accomodate your towing needs. But a DIESEL would be a better choice for such large SUVs. The big gas engine is wasteful, I think its sinful to be wasteful. I think you should be able to buy any car you want but the wife that has the 3 ton wheeled living room to "protect" the 2 kids from the her complete lack of driving ability, or attention to the road. Those people irritate me, no I do not hate them. Come drive around in California, you will feel the same way.
C.) I'm seriously convinced kids (not all) are overstimulated these days, no attention span due to too much, not just tv, but "media" in general. Thats a societal rant of mine and I'm not saying your kids need to watch less or that it will make a difference. I spent a huge portion of my childhood on road trips ask my parents they won't say I was unmanageable due to lack of tube. No child of mine will be constantly babysat by spongebob. I handle my 2 cousins, girls 2 & 7 every so often, no biggie because they know how to act. Sure it not fun to deal with your kids all day but its part of the package in my opinion.

Anyway, I am 23 if you are asking and entitled to be as grouchy as I please, you are entitled to the same. Otherwise, then I'd be a liberal because I would have a different set of behavior standards for myself than for everyone else.

Last edited:
I stand (mostly) corrected. I agree with you on kids watching too much tv but when it comes to traveling....its the best thing they ever invented. I say this because I remember going on long trips when I was a kid and it was a true torture test.
I think its the difference between making your kids(and you) suffer as opposed to enjoying a trip.(BTW I don't have tvs in my cars)
bajacalal said:
A.) I am a registered Republican.
B.) 3 ton vehicle of reference is an Escalade, the Lincoln pickup, Suburban (gas model) and H2. I have no problem with vehicles that accomodate your towing needs. But a DIESEL would be a better choice for such large SUVs. The big gas engine is wasteful, I think its sinful to be wasteful. I think you should be able to buy any car you want but the wife that has the 3 ton wheeled living room to "protect" the 2 kids from the her complete lack of driving ability, or attention to the road. Those people irritate me, no I do not hate them.
C.) I'm seriously convinced kids (not all) are overstimulated these days, no attention span due to too mucn, not just tv, but "media" in general. Thats a societal rant of mine and I'm not saying your kids need to watch less or that it will make a difference. I spent a huge portion of my childhood on road trips ask my parents they won't say I was unmanageable due to lack of tube. No child of mine will be constantly babysat by spongebob.

Anyway, I am 23 if you are asking and entitled to be as grouchy as I please, you are entitled to the same. Otherwise, then I'd be a liberal because I would have a different set of behavior standards for myself than for everyone else.

DrMoab said:
I stand (mostly) corrected. I agree with you on kids watching too much tv but when it comes to traveling....its the best thing they ever invented. I say this because I remember going on long trips when I was a kid and it was a true torture test.
I think its the difference between making your kids(and you) suffer as opposed to enjoying a trip.(BTW I don't have tvs in my cars)

Well thanks anyway. Funny how some people handle being on the road better. I never had a problem. except for in Utah ;) , going from SD to Colorado (Ridgeway) when I was a kid. Now I regularly am making 12 even 2 day trips, sometimes alone, sometimes in Mexico. We had a van (full sized) so it was accomodating and books on tape. My sister hated it, I liked the adventure and unfamiliar roads (still do). The older cousin handles cars better. They have DVDs on laptops now. I understand your point with those.

Oh I want to complain to the Subaru company that the "Baja" is a bad name choice since Subaru is not for sale there.

Last edited:
Guess nobody knows that GM has a small stake in Fuji Heavy Industries too, look at the Saabaru's (WRX wagon with 9-3 nose) and Saabrolet's (Trailblazer with Saab style nose) that are now being sold.

When we do road trips, Walkman's and Diskman's are our best friends, and my Sister just bought a DVD player last fall.

bajacalal said:
Well thanks anyway. Funny how some people handle being on the road better. I never had a problem. except for in Utah ;) , going from SD to Colorado (Ridgeway) when I was a kid. Now I regularly am making 12 even 2 day trips, sometimes alone, sometimes in Mexico. We had a van (full sized) so it was accomodating and books on tape.
Its funny...I hated riding in cars when I was young and now I am an over the road truck driver....Go figure! I have to say....Books on tape save my life sometimes.

All right. I said this was a fun thread.

First: Citing German, Japanese, British and French parts on the XJ is moot because I love the XJ. This thread is about cars I hate. I love the XJ.

Second: This thread is about cars I hate, not about cars I wouldn't love to drive. I have driven Triumphs, MB's, BMW's, Mercedes, a Datsun 240, VW Beetles (original version), various Toyotas, International Harvester pickup (1951), and others. Some of them were a blast to drive and I'd love to drive any one of those again in a heartbeat. All of them were a major PITA to maintain. However, now that you have called me out, I have not driven anything Italian. Therefore, I hereby rescind my opinions on Italian cars. Those judgements were based purely on here-say. I reserve judgement and defer to the forum consensus. Also, I have not driven anything Korean. However, I stand by my position on the Korean cars.

Third: As I said, it's not where a car is made, it's who designed it, or the parts that go into it. A Bosch starter is crap no matter what vehicle it is on or where that vehicle was made.

Four: The fact that the XJ has a Bosch starter (as well as other crappy equipment) is irrelevant to this thread because this thread is about cars I hate. I love the XJ.

Five: "Chryslers" are at least 20' long and weigh no less that 3 tons. They were required (I think it was a law) to carry at least 20% of there curb weight in chrome. I don't care what badge you slap on it, a 1500 lb. FWD 2.2L roller skate is in no way a "Chrysler" and calling it a "Charger" should, if there is any justice in the land, be punishable by at least a severe slapping about the ears.

Six: Iaccoca "saved" Chrysler by purchasing from Mitsubishi a license to put Dodge and Plymouth badges on Mitsubishi cars that were imported to the US. Then the same cars were manufactured in the US, or Canada, or Mexico or where ever. Eventually, Chrysler came to own a sizeable chunk of Mitsubishi. Again, the point is not location of assembly - the point is the design.

Seven: Drum brakes are nearly useless regardless. However, it is possible to screw them up. Three cases, in point: 1) The VW beetle (original style): 2) The K-body Aries: and 3) The 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan. I'm not real happy with the XJ rear drums, but then I love the XJ so that point is moot. This thread is about cars I hate. I love the XJ.

and finally, Eight: I love Jeep and hate everything else (except pre-Iacocca MOPAR muscle) because I do, and this thread is about cars that I hate. Thanks, Casm for getting this rolling for me.:wave:

XJ Dreamin' said:
Five: "Chryslers" are at least 20' long and weigh no less that 3 tons. They were required (I think it was a law) to carry at least 20% of there curb weight in chrome. I don't care what badge you slap on it, a 1500 lb. FWD 2.2L roller skate is in no way a "Chrysler" and calling it a "Charger" should, if there is any justice in the land, be punishable by at least a severe slapping about the ears.

I like the first part of this one - the choir teacher/band front coach when I was in high school had a nearly mint-condition Ford Galaxy 500 in a gorgeous deep copper metallic flake color. I only saw it once (he drove it to school one day), but that car was absolutely breathtaking. He referred to it as "built in the days when Detroit actually knew how to use chrome".

I also agree with the part about laying a dope slap on the guy who decided that an L-Body was a worthy successor to the original Dodge Charger. I think the fella who managed to dig up enough vintage Chargers for the General Lee in the upcoming "Dukes of Hazzard" should be commended - nothing but a 69-70 Charger 300 deserves the orange paint, "01" on the doors, and Confederate Flag on the roof (Political Correct Weenies who object to that last are advised to find the nearest, shortest pier and embark on a long walk down it). Which reminds me - I saw a billboard about 2 years ago with a Mini that had been given a General Lee paint job. Wrong on so many levels.

On the other hand, not all 2.2L FWD "roller skates", as you call them, are so deserving of scorn. Case in point: the 1986 Omni GLHS (Shelby edition) - if you can lay hands on one of these (or its slightly more mundane GLH or GLHT bretheren), I suspect they could easily give a Mini what-for. Be a heckuva lot of fun to put the GLHS and the Mini Cooper S side by side on a road course and see who comes out on top.

Still, this has been a fun discussion - shall we dredge up the list of funny acronyms created from car manufacturer names next?

Rob

dothedew24_7 said:
The old lady next to me uses one of these to haul her gardening supplies around her yard.

1973_VW_Thing1.jpeg

That looks pretty sweet to me. That's actually a '74 since it has muffs on the back. I have a '73(minus muffs)and it's a lot of fun. Does pretty decent off road(and in the snow) for being 2wd. Weighing only 2000lbs if you do get high centered you can just shove it to the side and be going again. It doesn't get any more basic than a VW Thing!!

- JP

Back