• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cardboard Boat Race

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, well to finish the year of AP physics [and my high-school carreer] we had a cardboard boat race.

details:
teams of 4
2 weeks of work
timed 10 minute race, team to complete the most laps [down and back] wins.
teams must also compete in style, design, calculations [yeap, we had to do them beforehand], and crowd favorite

materials
CORREGATED CARDBOARD ONLY [thickness and # of layers doesnt matter, just no solid cardboard]

duct tape

my team consisted of me, my future roommate [Rensselaer Polytech.] and two of our buddies [who helped to do some of the minion work]

design took about a day, maybe two [with the calculations]

took about a week for us to build it, then later experimented with cup holders, and other commodities. we spent the last week breaking the other teams' balls and just being complete asses [though we did help several of the groups who found themselves lost]

our paddles were made of cardboard as well, and we focused the brunt of our time on them, as a good paddle is pivotal to success [while maintaining energy]

our hull design was simple really [but complex for a cardboard boat i guess] a simple v that ran the extent of the base [made of the toughest board we could find] with a steeper V within that to add rigitity to the top, and focus all the forces to the spine of the base. we capped that and simply built around it. boxed in some sections and added bracing and such to several others.

we duct taped all around, making sure it was water-tight. this took about 9 rolls of standard duct tape [and about 30 bucks as well lol]

anyway, we started the race without a hitch [though we werent the fastest, we were the most stable]. while the others' crumbled we stayed afloat, and quite well i might add. the base remained stiff and we took on NO water. we could have easily stayed afloat for hours. We won, and were subsequently tipped over by the others in our class.
Also, within the last two minutes, we added a canopy to it [that we had built during our time of freedom after we finished the boat]. from the viewers section you could not see us putting it on [as it was underneath the balcony] so after we slipped it into the slots we made for it, and pulled out again, the crowd went nuts [mostly in laughter lol]

the crowed was filled with my friends who had heard about our boat and wanted to see it, so we won the crowd favorite award as well as all the others. [those in the audience who were not my friends even voted for us because -well, youll see ha ha]

it was probably the coolest thing i've done in school, well ever. it was great fun, and i cant wait to do it again in college sometime.

here are some pics, im loading the vid onto google video now, so ill add the link later, just in case anyone gets bored and wishes to watch it

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

and this one is just cool looking
attack.jpg

just figured id share. enjoy
Travis

by the way, our oars had weapons on them, you can see in the fifth picture, my oar is swinging [im the one with no shirt, in the rear] and there is a ball attached to the end. that is my mace [it was just an air pocket and cardboard] the crowd got a kick out of that too.

my partner had an "arrow" made of cardboard and built a rail for it to fire [via rubberband] from the handle. it was pretty funny to watch him shoot the already downed commrade.

Oh wow. You just brought back some memories.

In St. Louis I taught at a residential facility for severely emotionally disturbed kids and every year to close out summer school we held a cardboard boat regatta in our pool. Our pool was just a typical in-ground design but lets keep the participants state of mind ummm.....in mind. It was definitely a sight to behold. Next to the annual talent show, it was the probably the next best thing.

Looks like you guys had fun.

Were the spikes really necessary?
Yeah, I think so...
:thumbup:

They used to (I assume they still do) have a cardboard boat regatta every year at SIUC. (Southern Illinois University - Carbondale). I never was a participant, but I did go as a spectator. It was a good time to say the least. They held it on the campus lake. Believe it or not, the race is a final exam for a 3D design class.
I've got pics somewhere but lord knows where they are.....

Hale

Haleyes said:
They used to (I assume they still do) have a cardboard boat regatta every year at SIUC. (Southern Illinois University - Carbondale). I never was a participant, but I did go as a spectator. It was a good time to say the least. They held it on the campus lake. Believe it or not, the race is a final exam for a 3D design class.
I've got pics somewhere but lord knows where they are.....

Hale

I didn't know you were from that area Hale. I think they do still hold that event.

riverfever said:
I didn't know you were from that area Hale. I think they do still hold that event.

SIU is about a 2 hour drive from my hometown of Flora. I lived in C'Dale for 2 years while attending SIU. Good times, good times.;) Hoping to finally put my education to use shortly.

Hale

EDIT: You're back in black dude. Pony up looser.:D

Haleyes said:
Pony up looser.:D

Uhhhhhhhhh.....I beg your pardon? :shhh: Don't want leakage or I'll be back in brown. :passgas:

I think you meant----> :looser:

I gotta wait until the boss gets back in town and gives me authorization.

p.s. she controls the purse strings but I wanted you all to know that I am the man of the house.

riverfever said:
Uhhhhhhhhh.....I beg your pardon? :shhh: Don't want leakage or I'll be back in brown. :passgas:

I think you meant----> :looser:

I gotta wait until the boss gets back in town and gives me authorization.

p.s. she controls the purse strings but I wanted you all to know that I am the man of the house.

:rolleyes:

Haleyes said:

Ohh relax there Cougar...I'll be in red again before you know it. That Woody guy works faster than a Friday night White Castle/MGD laxative. :D

riverfever said:
Ohh relax there Cougar...I'll be in red again before you know it. That Woody guy works faster than a Friday night White Castle/MGD laxative. :D
Woody isn't who takes care of that anymore you doughball.

Ghost is the man now.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

How does that saying go? It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission?

I'm on it.

Is it just me or do they kinda look like plastic figurines in the boat in a majority of the pictures? Or possibly wax toys...

Back