• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cage Build

Well, not cage related but I upgraded my steering since the Reno Run. I was running crossover steering and added hydro assist last fall.

After smacking my tie rod into a few rocks and bending it (due to my lack of driving skilz) I decided to go with a hi steer set up. Bought a Reid knuckle for the driver's side to match the one I am running on the passenger side.

Painted, bolted up, and new steering arms bolted down.

Had to redo my frame side panhard bar mount since it was going to be in the way of the tie rod.

All put back together.

Have to build a skid for the ram, but otherwise ready for Sierra Fest.

Last edited:
Looks good. I finally put my ram on and used my old tnt t case skid for the ram skid. Worked out well.

BG6uU85pnjfya7yaA

Lou, looks good mang.

That is super high tie rod and steering. This is way ahead of my rigs curve! I love it.

Well, guess I should post an update on my junk's status. I had a problem with the clutch not wanting to work one day. Hoping it was a hydraulic problem, I replaced the hydraulic system in a NAPA parking lot in Gilroy one morning. No go, still no workie. After limping home, I tore into it and found this:

large.jpg

large.jpg

Finding an external slave bellhousing is a bit of a pain. Was lucky enough to find one across the Bay in Hayward for a great price.

large.jpg

On a whim, I decided to change the clutch and release bearing since I had everything apart. Good thing too, because as I took of the pressure plate, I heard some stuff rolling around where nothing is supposed to be rolling around.

large.jpg

Somehow two of the pins that hold the spring plate in place sheared, letting pieces of spring loose.

large.jpg

I've had trouble shifting into first gear when stopped after everything gets up to operating temperature for a little while now. Makes perfect sense now, glad it didn't decide to crap out on the Dusy. Would have sucked crawling out in 1st gear.

Installed a new LuK Pro Gold clutch and all is well now. Also ordered up a new driveline from Tom Woods just make sure everything was fresh and vibration free. Great price and fast shipping too.

large.jpg

Ready for another trip before the season is over!

Looking good dude !

Aren't you glad you went all the way with the clutch rebuild too. That is a few times you have found something wrong with you rig in the driveway instead of the trail.

The Jeep gods smile on you again.

Aren't you glad you went all the way with the clutch rebuild too. That is a few times you have found something wrong with you rig in the driveway instead of the trail.

Very true.

You're right. I've been very fortunate when it comes to finding things that are broken on my rig. I think it's a combination of building right the first time, good preventative maintenance, and pure dumb luck!:bs:

Great cage, did you get anywhere on the steering ram skid?

I did. I used a section of left over 1 1/2, 120 wall tubing from the cage.

large.jpg

At first I was concerned it didn't stick out far enough to protect the ram but it has worked out pretty well. I beat the snot out of it on the Dusy and on Niagara Rim and it is holding up well.

large.jpg

I bent that tube with some scrap cage parts using our shared JD2 bender. and shipped it to him in flat rate box like 6 days before sierra fest.

Back