• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cable lacing

asp

NAXJA Forum User
Some very clean work here

:worship:

I had the opportunity a few years ago to see an ancient demarcation point in an old building in downtown Chicago (just south of the Loop.) The inbound bundle was very neatly laced, with pairs splitting off to the ceramic block with brass thumbscrews. The bundle was nearly a perfect cone, and a work of art. *NOBODY* does this anymore.

We did that on military stuff we designed back in the 70's. I still have a spool of the waxed lacing thread that I use on my harnesses. When done I use a braided black tape to cover the harness. On long runs I use TechFlex and finish the ends with the braided black tape.

I like :thumbup:

(I have severe cabling OCD... when I'm actually building stuff, I go through a couple thousand zip ties, a few rolls of electrical tape, and a few rolls of dry vinyl tape per year... and I bought a roll of waxed lacing twine a few months ago. I rather like it.)

That's how they bundle aircraft cabling. Not sure, but I think you still have to show proficiency to get an A&P.

It does look cool, doesn't it?

not gonna lie, electrical tape and zip ties are kinda ghetto. I use them when I want to slap something together fast or when I know it's coming apart again soon (zip ties.)

electrical tape leaves horrible gunk everywhere, zip ties snag on things and make it hard to pull the harness through a chassis. dry vinyl and waxed lacing twine do neither, and are very neat, but harder to modify after the fact.

That's how they bundle aircraft cabling. Not sure, but I think you still have to show proficiency to get an A&P.

It does look cool, doesn't it?
Correct. When I went to school for it, I had to learn how to do it. I still need to go and get my license. Maybe I'll touch up on it.

Over the lacing or techflex I use a black glass cloth tape from 3M. It really looks professional when you are done and it stands up to under hood temps. I can't seem to find the part number any more, but I have a full roll of the 2" wide that should hold me for a while.

electrical tape leaves horrible gunk everywhere...

QFT, it also adds fuel making it much easier for an electrical short to go from smoking wire to out of control electrical fire if you are completely wrapping a length of wire in it.

Electrical tape is only good for it's intended purpose, securing wires together. I cringe when I see people wrapping it along the entirety of a wiring job, that's what split loom is for. Wrap tape around itself not along the length of wire, orr use it to keep loom closed or secure the end of a piece of loom to the wires where they come out of it. Heat degrades electrical tape and it peels off and leaves flammable adhesive residue all over everything it touches.

OEM electrical taping is a different story though, most of that doesn't leave a residue and is next to impossible to burn aside from putting a direct flame to it. All of the readily available stuff is garbage though.

Yeah, the oem tape is actually dry vinyl tape. No adhesive, you use it by applying a dab of glue at the end then wrapping it tightly so it clings to itself, then using a dab of glue or a few wraps of friction tape at the other end. The factory used friction tape, which after 10 years is a gob of rubber slime mixed with decomposing cotton fiber, my least favorite thing to try and clean off my hands ever.

Chrysler did a pretty good job taping the harnesses except for the friction tape and the duct tape (seriously) they used over crimp splices. They should burn for those mistakes, though.

Very clean, and something I didn't know existed.

Not something I want to waste my time doing for our hobby though.

Zip ties and decent electrical tape/wire loom work fine.

Pretty cool for something that never gets removed. When I'm working on my jeep however I don't want to be cutting lacing wire off all of my wiring especially on the trail!

I've only used lacing wire to attach M203's to M4's.
I'd like to mention when you cut it make sure you have glasses on :)

I used to do that. Had to be NASA certified every year. Now it's flexiweave or cable ties...

Chrysler did a pretty good job taping the harnesses except for the friction tape and the duct tape (seriously) they used over crimp splices. They should burn for those mistakes, though.

because you came across a duct-tape sealed factory XJ wiring connection that failed? how is that a mistake? you unwrap that duct tape and that damn crimp connector is still shiny!

shit, i smile every time I see one, i'm like, "XXXX yeah, factory duct tape!"

I've found them with all sorts of gross corrosion. Hadn't broken in half quite yet though.

Back