• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build thread: Johnny 5 and his pal Henry

sooooo, about this shortbed.

You've got a good drivers side lower valance? Cause that's what I need to fix new longbed.
Otherwise I'm cutting the panel out of this rust free shortbed, and that seems wrong.
i'd also like to keep the tailgate, the longbed tailgate is bent.
I do have an extra complete latch assembly if you need that.
or you can take the bent, but rust free, 88 gate.

have you my number? I'll be on the road saturday afternoon and sunday,m give me a call so we can discuss timeline.

sooooo, about this shortbed.

You've got a good drivers side lower valance? Cause that's what I need to fix new longbed.
Otherwise I'm cutting the panel out of this rust free shortbed, and that seems wrong.
i'd also like to keep the tailgate, the longbed tailgate is bent.
I do have an extra complete latch assembly if you need that.
or you can take the bent, but rust free, 88 gate.

have you my number? I'll be on the road saturday afternoon and sunday,m give me a call so we can discuss timeline.

yep...i can take pics of the drivers side of both beds that i have and we can choose whichever one looks better. i don't have your number...pm me or facepage me

yep...i can take pics of the drivers side of both beds that i have and we can choose whichever one looks better. i don't have your number...pm me or facepage me

my pm box is full until I reup with membership on sunday. I will facespace you.

1111142009_zps0fdeae68.jpg

1110142105_zps942d2390.jpg

Those look familiar :D

WOOOT...will finally be picking up my axles this weekend if everything works out. I found these a long time ago and the guy finally has time to meet up. Here is what i am picking up:

HP dana 30 with Ballistic fab truss, Solid Diff Cover, Control arm skids, gusseted C's set up with new 4.56's and freshly painted with dupont chassis paint. I will eventually put the ox locker i have in it as well. its going to get fitted with the wj outers, unit bearings and with new brakes and rotors to fit as well

Xj Dana 44 with ballistic fab truss, new gears and brand new brake parts. 4.56's (not installed) and an install kit.

I got a great price on the package and will be selling the nib aussie locker that comes with the deal to make some money back....

I'm working on a deal with hobag right now to get mid stiffies, front stiffies, 4 link parts and shackle boxes...and possibly a selectable for the rear. I probably won't get all the parts until winterfest from him, but i should have everything i need then to put the whole thing together...

are you f***ing kidding me...so first after making a deal on a parts xj and having the kid bail, i now had the guy pull out of selling the axles i have been planning on after 6 months of having a deal. the guy had the axles under his rig and was in the process of building tons and said they were mine as soon as he had them out. i offered to pay via paypal and i offered to stop by to give him the cash several times over the last 6 months and he said we had a deal and it was all good. today he tells me that his uncle needs the axles so he cant sell them to me...

i sold the 44 housing and the 8.8 that was already geared 4.56 to buy these...now i have nothing

Whelp...its been a real long time. Now that I have time in the garage, its time to kick this thing in the ass. The only hitch in the get along is the xj that i thought i would start driving next week has a blown motor. Found 3 new dd candidates and should have one in my possession in the next week or so...but in case you didn't hear I recieved this honor at WF

IMG_20150311_225038589_zpshcbxpnyj.jpg

and joined a very distinguished class of MWC folks :)

SO...now I've acquired most of what I need other than tires to get rolling. Here is what I picked up.

-hdor full frame stiffies
-hdor no lift shackle boxes
-hdor 3 link brackets
-barnes enduro joints for lowers
-barnes heims for uppers, steering and track bar (going to have to build my own track bar because of the wj steering setup)
-balance beads
-tomken rear tire carrier from Kimmer
-brackets for my 44

hopefully will have some more pics starting next week...

just used my WF gift card on a new logans metal receiver front bumper. they let me use the 10% off coupon too! hopefully the new dd will be in my driveway tomorrow.

IMG_20150402_233830118_zpskel75wwd.jpg

IMG_20150402_233820403_zpsdqpqiy04.jpg

say goodbye to a piece of MWC history...know anyone who wants a set of rattle canned euro fenders?

drivetrain is coming out tomorrow, then springs are getting installed so i can get some clearance underneath to put the stiffys on. then i'm going to work on the 3-link and cleaning up the underbody while the new motor is getting built. looks like this whore of a motor is going into jeep number 5 or 6...

OK, so I am confused at this point on which rig you are building, which one has a blown motor, is some kid buying your blown motor or is the orange motor in good shape?

OK, so I am confused at this point on which rig you are building, which one has a blown motor, is some kid buying your blown motor or is the orange motor in good shape?

LOL, yeah things are a little confusing....the plan was always to build this jeep, but things got delayed a little. i had rush to drop the motor in it in september so i could start driving it to NYC for work. now i'm finally getting some time to work on it. the jasper motor that i put in it has been running well (orange motor) but i f-ed up the tranny somewhere in the quick install and its leaking somewhere i cant see. i had to get it out to find where the leak is. i also sort of stumbled upon some parts/cheap machine work to have a stroker built. i had always planned on keeping the orange motor in, but a kid offered to buy it for a bit more than i paid for it. that money will be for finishing the new motor. as long as the machine shop isn't too far behind, the stroker will be finished in a few weeks. in the mean time i'm trying to get the underside done.

and when do you want to come get this bed?

i'm home off and on for the next two months so i could probably come grab it over the weekend sometime. how far are you from cleveland out of curiosity? just trying to figure out how long of a drive it is...i'm two hours from cleveland, so i'm guessing its a 3-3.5 hour drive. i know we drove through there to get my last comanche.

I'm 65 miles south of cleveland if you get onto 71 from 480.

exit 186 on I 71.

I'm 5 miles from the interstate.
I'm east of where you were in galion, so take about 45 minutes off that trip and that's how long.

I've got some pallets and such that we can put down on your trailer to load it on. I can get friends to come help us move it easy. Everyone owes me favors.

IMG_20150403_223340255_zpsloi7oe0s.jpg

out in 3 hours and already installed and running in a 97 TJ. i started stripping the stroker block down and found out that my engine noise in the original motor was indeed a rod bearing. once i broke the nuts loose, the bearing cap had a ton of play in it. the rod looks okay, but it may need to be replaced. other than that all of the cylinder walls feel okay. hoping to get it in monday for machine work

knock, knock...who's there??? this mother f-ing bearing

IMG_20150412_182317337_zps2wje9cny.jpg

IMG_20150412_182312322_zps2tqdjolz.jpg

almost ready for the machine shop. should get there tomorrow sometime.

IMG_20150412_182245684_zpsckyorttz.jpg

aaaand finally this arrived. the guy who sold it to me rolled in to my driveway in a big brown grand waggy. i thought jerry had gotten lost and was stopping to ask for directions lol.

IMG_20150412_182234714_zps2agact2t.jpg

i have to confirm one thing, then ill be ordering my cam kit tomorrow. after that, its pistons and bearings. hoping to get the stiffeners on while i wait for the machine work.

i know its been answered, but what wheels do ya'll use to clean your framerails? i have some flap discs, but thats all i have. wondering if i need to make a harbor freight run.

Back