• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brand New Full Carrier Detroit Locker

justme

NAXJA Forum User
Full carrier Detroit locker for all Dana 44 Axles with a gear ratio of 3.73 and numerically higher. The locker is brand new, in the bag. Instructions included. $480.00

Michael destroyed his rear differential weekend before last. (He's living in Riverton WY now). He found an ad for a Dana 44 axle but the locker was part of the deal. He doesn't want a locker, so that's up for sale. John delivered the axle today and it has the WRONG gear ratio. The wrong information was in the ad. So now he's trying to decide what to do next. If he installs it, he can only use 2wd until he modifies something.
(you never travel through Riverton Wyoming on your work route, do you?)

Michael destroyed his rear differential weekend before last. (He's living in Riverton WY now). He found an ad for a Dana 44 axle but the locker was part of the deal. He doesn't want a locker, so that's up for sale. John delivered the axle today and it has the WRONG gear ratio. The wrong information was in the ad. So now he's trying to decide what to do next. If he installs it, he can only use 2wd until he modifies something.
(you never travel through Riverton Wyoming on your work route, do you?)

Not often. He should keep that detroit though. I would :D

He has to either redo the gears in the new Dana 44 rear axle to match the stockl front axle, or to redo the gears in the front axle to match the Dana. (am I understanding this correctly?) What is your advice? Or, can you see any other possibilities out of this situation?

i_attach.gif
2 attachments | Download all attachments (73.5 KB)
092009180...jpg (73.5 KB), TEXT_9375...txt (0.0 KB)
Michaels Rear Differential...

GetAttachment.aspx

He has to either redo the gears in the new Dana 44 rear axle to match the stockl front axle, or to redo the gears in the front axle to match the Dana. (am I understanding this correctly?) What is your advice? Or, can you see any other possibilities out of this situation?

Won't he have to do the gears anyway? If the detroit is out and brand new I would buy a set of ring and pinions to match the front. What gears is he running?

It would help if you put what gears are in what...:dunno:

If he has 3.55s,which ar pretty comon for auto's & he is running stock stuff, then he needs to find a stock setup for the rear that matches.

If he has a lower gear set in the front, then he shouldkeep the locker & match the front gear set.:chef:

The front axle is the stock 355 with 39 Ring & 11 Pinion gears.
The axle just purchased is the Dana 44, 354 with 44 Ring & 13 Pinion gears.
Unless he can find a Dana 355 nearby, he will have to have the gears replaced in the 354, to make it a 355.
I really don't know what I'm talking about... I'm quoting all this.
So, does it make any sense?

Until he solves this, he can only use 2wd so he's not tearing up the gears.

You can run numerically different gears as longv as they are close with only one off in the hundredth place. He doesn't have to regear anything with what is currently there as you are describing.

according to what you just said, the 44 has a 3.38 ratio
I wouldn't run it in 4wd until some gearing is done!
I'll have to do some checking I might have a used set of dana 44 gears laying around that will work for ya! I do travel thru Riverton twice a week so getting them to ya would be a non issue!

Thank you two for your offers: We're still trying to figure out what we really need...
I'm confused, so I have now the exact numbers.
The stock front axle that is on the jeep is a Dana 30 with so called 3.55 gears, which are really 3.54545454.
The new rear axle just bought is a Dana 44 with the so called 3.54 gears which are really 3.53846154.
Some say that these two axles are close enough and can be run together.
Some say these two can only be run in 2wd; that to run them in 4wd would chew up gears.
If it would work, he can use the new axle.
If it won't work, he needs to find a rear axle that had the 3.55 (3.53846154) gears.

yeah, they will be fine. most people don't run in 4x4 on dry pavement for very long, so it wouldn't tear anything up. when you are offroad, there will be enough slippage on both axles to not tear anything up. many axles that are run together don't have exactly the same ratio, and i've heard that often they can't make exact matches for some ratios, due to the size of the ring gear, and the size that the teeth would have to be to make it work.

yeah, you can run them. If you are really worried about them that much i have some that are the 3.53's that will match the front for ya. just let me know?

Back