• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BIG project, too big?

So did you use wire that was intended for steel or stainless steel? I could use fluxcore or non-fluxcore (I only have experiece running it with non-fluxcore using shielding gas) but I want to use the right type of wire the first time. Although the manifold has a rusty looking patina on it, I thought I had read that it was stainless system. Do you recall whether your fluxcore wire was intended for regular steel or stainless?

Another thing that was on my mind was whether I should expect any of the rusty old manifold bolts to snap off if when I try to remove them. Did you (or the OP!) have any issues there? Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread--just trying to pick up some info that will make my life easier and give me the greatest chance of succes the first time aorund when I do the job.

First off my opinion of welding manifolds, if you can afford it just buy a good set of aftermarket manifolds, its 500$ that you only ever have to spend once. I used a little Lincoln with gas and didnt get the whole crack so it stills makes noise when its cold. Im saving for Banks headers.

I dont mind answering any questions so dont worry about hijacking my thread, this was an AZ truck so i had no problem with any rusty bolts. pretty much just came apart but in my past experience it is always a good idea to soak everything you plan on taking apart with parts blaster the day before you actually plan on doing any work to it.

If I had the money, I would definitely do it, but that's not where I'm at right now. My wife and I are expecting a baby in a month and I'm trying to wrap my head around switching to a single earner system. . . The header will have to wait for a little while.

Just curious, though. . . did you weld the crack while it was still bolted up to the engine? Is that why you didn't get the whole thing, or was it just an access issue in the valley between the two pipes?

It can be tough to get into that valley, yeah. I welded mine while it was off the engine and still ended up missing a few small spots. A good TIG welder or even wirefeed welder could probably get in there, but all I end up doing is blowing boogers and spatter all over when trying to weld that far down into a crevice.

I took it off the engine - I am usually swapping a motor and/or trans when I get around to it anyways (never done it twice on the same jeep) so it's not that big a deal. Even still it's not all that bad, $6 for the felpro manifold gasket at almost any parts store, a few hours to pull, weld it up, throw some bolts in instead of the busted/stripped/rotted studs, put it back in and you're good to go. Shouldn't take more than a day unless you get spectacularly unlucky and bust off either the front or the rear exhaust manifold stud in the head.

red MJs always look good

I tend to agree.

Yeah i welded it while it was still attached to the motor. it was just a tiny little crack when i got to it and like i said i was planning on doing the new headers anyways so it wasnt something i stressed over real hard.

Back