• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best year(s) for mild XJ build?

Plans are basically to drive three times per week to school which is about 60 miles round trip. As far as wheeling, at this point I see myself hitting some old washed out logging trails and perhaps some mild rock crawling. I also don't see myself going past 33" tires on a 3 - 4.5" lift. Soft lockers yeah. Bumpers, maybe a winch, not going to get too crazy with it. But that may change after I hit the trail for the first time :D

Plans are basically to drive three times per week to school which is about 60 miles round trip. As far as wheeling, at this point I see myself hitting some old washed out logging trails and perhaps some mild rock crawling. I also don't see myself going past 33" tires on a 3 - 4.5" lift. Soft lockers yeah. Bumpers, maybe a winch, not going to get too crazy with it. But that may change after I hit the trail for the first time :D
They all say that :) next thing you know your wife left you and you have half of what was an xj that is now half tube and sitting on 60s

no renix love?
you can reliably pickup a renix for $700 or so... who cares if its got a d35, you want to swap in better stuff anyway right?

nothings better then riding in a rig you can roll w/ a smile on your face.

Hey! whats wrong with the 1st Gen's? I have an 86. Just because they have tini-weenie little weak axles..............but everyone puts in different axles anyway.................:doh: Oh yeah, and no cup holders. (Lots of pop and beer stains on the seats) Buy something very cheap, then you won't feel so bad when you keep putting more money into it

Last edited:
RENIX era FTW - if you can find a lower mileage rust free unit they are the best beasts in the world (like the cherry '89 with 166k i'm picking up for $500 tomorrow)

I got a 99 for numerous reasons. Mostly, I like the beefier axles and had to have an 8.25, also had heard of the 00-01 engines being prone to cracking and I liked the newer body style. I didn't know about the intake though, does someone want to elaborate?

Hey! whats wrong with the 1st Gen's? I have an 86. Just because they have tini-weenie little weak axles..............but everyone puts in different axles anyway.................:doh: Oh yeah, and no cup holders. (Lots of pop and beer stains on the seats) Buy something very cheap, then you won't feel so bad when you keep putting more money into it

the main reason they arent popular at all is because of the engines. the 2.8 V6 is inferior to the 4.0 in every way.

One important thing to keep in mind... Avoid the 90-91 bendix accumulator ABS system at all cost. I had to completely (pay some one else because I was in Iraq) rip mine out and replace it with a standard master / booster system. It never was right but at least it did stopish once it was switched. Just don't do it unless you are doing a full build, the system just sucks and the parts are insanely expensive.

I had a 96 and I wish I would have kept it. It was an early one though and had the D35 rear. I have found about 6 XJ's in the area for sale but have not looked at them yet. Some are newer, some older but I don't know the specific years. I am off tomorrow so I am going to make some calls. I would like to just get something that is already partially built to save costs but if I can score a cheap XJ then I can still afford to get a lift and tires and a couple other goodies (gears, SYE, maybe a front bumper). Gotta get that truck of mine sold though. I think $5-6k should build a decent light trail rig shouldn't it? Especially if I can get the XJ for $2-2500?

-----
Cost on goodies like bumpers, skid plates, rock rails, tire carrier, trailer hitches can be quite a bit. The steel in them is quite heavy and really expensive to ship
via freight truck. They added about 700 pounds to my rig. You can save a lot of money if you are good with a welder. I'm not, so those goodies cost me nearly $ 4,000 .

Smurfitranger

I ended up grabbing a lifted 96' Cherokee Country Edition. 4.5" Rusty's lift, locked rear, 31" MT's, good rust free body. Now with the money ($2500) I have left over I need to decide how I am going to approach the build.

Back