• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best longarms for Mid-atlantic wheeling?

looking at the skyjacker install PDFs, their kits appear to be drop brackets on a custom crossmember
It also comes with a bolt-on truss. Really good idea.

I just don't know what is 'too-steep' for radius arms, ya know? I went up an obstacle saturday that was pretty damn steep and had me leaning pretty far back when just the front tires were up on it. Whenever I get on something like that, it always crosses my mind that maybe this is the point I'd see the 'unloading' from a radius arm? I had no problem climbing up with the rear tires and getting over though.

KTM Racer: After looking at your 'mid-arm' type 3-link on Pirate's website, I see your LCA mounts sit pretty low below the frame. Ever have much problem with ground clearance on the mounts? I was looking at Poly Performance's 3-link and it looks great, but it sits so low. Pretty expensive too, but you can buy their mounts seperately and build the links yourself. Am I worrying too much about clearance? I'll be sitting on 35's here soon, so will that kind of negate any clearance problems I have now on 32's?

other longarms mount the same way, just further back, which is not neccessary with my height. sure i drag them over rocks, but i never get hung up on them or do they stop me from completing an obstacle

No, says in the instructions that it does not come with a truss. That XJ looks to be pretty built already seeing as it has huge tires and some sort of aftermarket T-case.

The arm setup looks great on the skyjacker, but I hate the lack of a good skid. I guess it wouldn't be hard to weld on some big pieces of steel to the bottom of their brackets, but that's something they should do. No way I could keep my TnT belly pan with those brackets.

looking at the skyjacker install PDFs, their kits appear to be drop brackets on a custom crossmember

the UCA mounts are dropped a ~4" and the LCA mounts are dropped ~4" and pushed back 5-6".

only the 8", the 6" doesnt use it and mounts like mine.

The arm setup looks great on the skyjacker, but I hate the lack of a good skid. I guess it wouldn't be hard to weld on some big pieces of steel to the bottom of their brackets, but that's something they should do. No way I could keep my TnT belly pan with those brackets.

It would be very easy to add/build a skid off of the crossmember setup. if i was keeping mine longer, i would add something. as it is, the sloping mounts behind the LCA make a great ramp to slide off, even though it all my years ive only hit it a handful of times.

So what your thoughts on the BDS set up? No one has spoken on it Its a true 4 link setup with a lifetime warranty. yea yea I no Clayton has a warranty 2. But claytons are a radius setup.

I built my own set of longarms, but basically duplicated the Claytons setup. I already had the TnT Bellypan installed (w/o the longarms though), so I figured I could incorporate a setup that utilized both.

I really liked claytons arms, but since I already had the bellypan protection, in my opinion it would have been useless to sell that only to have to fab up something else to protect that transmission/transfer case. So far im pretty happy with how everything works. The longarms flex great and the bellypans taken a beating.

If I were starting from scratch and were planning on wheeling in this area, Claytons would be my number one choice.

Has anyone seen or heard where longarms under the rails prevented someone from clearing an obstacle?

never happened to me in about 4+ years of wheeling with them

not saying it can't happen, i guess if you decided to run longarms without lockers and somehow managed to get the arm on a rock and another part of the jeep on a rock leaving a couple tires in the air, its possible.

but who runs longarms without lockers?

never happened to me in about 4+ years of wheeling with them

not saying it can't happen, i guess if you decided to run longarms without lockers and somehow managed to get the arm on a rock and another part of the jeep on a rock leaving a couple tires in the air, its possible.

but who runs longarms without lockers?

I do....Clayton front and rear, d30 open in the front, chry.8.25 in the rear with a Detroit TrueTrac...on 35" Mt/R's...and still running 3.55's at that...still can do 75 on the highway and take whatever at Rausch with a little patience and a good line...never had any breakage issues in 3 years plus of hard running...I stick with what works.
Rich

Anyone have anything negative to say about the RK system? Who actually runs it here and likes/dislikes it? How was the install?

i used to run the gen 2 3 link.

it was awesome

my lower control arms are still mostly rock krawler and use the original ungreased heims.

there is no longarm that is best for any 1 wheeling location, in my opinion, any quality built an an properly installed la set up, will crap all over any, an i mean ANY short arm kit out there

fyi i run claytons an love them, no problems at all so far

there is no longarm that is best for any 1 wheeling location, in my opinion, any quality built an an properly installed la set up, will crap all over any, an i mean ANY short arm kit out there

i used to think it was hogwash

but 3 or 4 links >radius arms

there is a difference

I'm going to disagree, I have drop brackets and they are the shit. I have a set of used claytons sitting in my basement, but I really don't have any huge desire to install them any time soon, I like my drop brackets a lot. And I have wheeled a friend's XJ with TNT stuff, so you can't say its because I haven't driven long arms.

Back