• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best header and exhaust setup

hmulyo

NAXJA Forum User
hi all, i'm a newbie,live in indonesia and driving a '94 xj.
can somebody tell me what's the best header adnd exhaust system setup for my xj?
i want it loud and powerfull.
don't mind the regulation.
thanks.

My exhaust is leaking, and I am looking at a new header, and head pipe,( Mine is crunched pretty good). I have looked at the aftermarket quite a bit and have even called and talked to banks. I am still not convinced that the aftermarkets flow any better than the stock header style manifold. Only advantage I see is stainless. Does anyone have any info on torque or hp gains? I have also looked into the cliford headers, anybody used one?

Do not replace your header. I have a 94 and was very upset when I put my banks on and had no improvement. There is very little difference in the headers. If you had a big cast exhaust manifold then you would want to replace it.

Pick out your favorite aftermarket muffler and have a shop install it for you. I pulled off my Gibson and had it replaced with a 40 series.

Keep your cat and don't go over 2.5" pipe.

i don't think mind comes with cat in indonesia, so what do i do? which muffler sounds better? flow 40 or hush master?
thanks.

Headers do make a big difference if you choose the right one! See my site on how to do that. www.go.jeep-xj.info You drive on the left hand side too dont you there like me in Australia? There is a nice header made by Hi-Tech that will suit.

91 Jeep Project said:
Whats the main difference between the left and right hand drive headers?

You can run a left hand drive header on a RHD but not the other way around necessarily. The reason is that the RHD headers and not made to clear any of you steering that you have on that side so a pipe may foul it. That was what the company told me and they have a point but think the steering shaft would not be in the way myself but have not spent that much time under a LHD bonnet! ;)

Another muffler to consider is a Spin Tech. www.spintechmufflers.com I got the Pro Street Series and its as loud as a Flowmaster 40 but it sounds a heck of a lot better. More throaty deep rumble.

AARON

Gojeep said:
Headers do make a big difference if you choose the right one! See my site on how to do that. www.go.jeep-xj.info You drive on the left hand side too dont you there like me in Australia? There is a nice header made by Hi-Tech that will suit.

mine is right hand drive? do they make headers for a right hand drive in the USA? or we can just use the sasme header as in the left hand drive?
i want it to be loud and powerfull, coz' we don't have any regulation for emission and noise in indonesia.
thx.

On my 00 XJ I have a Gale Banks Header that is Jet-Hot Ceramic Coated coupled with a 2.5" Gibson SS Catback Exhaust, with the Gibson Muffler switched out for a Flowmaster Super 40 and I absolutely love it... the performance gains are there and the sound is loud. You guys can listen / watch it here: EXHAUST VID CLIP

Rattman said:
My exhaust is leaking, and I am looking at a new header, and head pipe,( Mine is crunched pretty good). I have looked at the aftermarket quite a bit and have even called and talked to banks. I am still not convinced that the aftermarkets flow any better than the stock header style manifold. Only advantage I see is stainless. Does anyone have any info on torque or hp gains? I have also looked into the cliford headers, anybody used one?

i have a stock 4.0 with borla header (bought in '01 before banks came out) so borlan was the only really nice one out at that time i wasnt going to buy a POS pace setter or another crack prone stock one. Any anyways in conjuction with borla header i have a new highflow cat, rusty 50 series flowmaster with 2.5 pipes, and a k&n air filet in the stock air box. I noticed a big improvement from about 40-70 mph it rips ass like crazy. It really revs much quicker. Didnt do anything for my low end, but getting up to highway speeds coming down a ramp is piece of cake, it gets up to speed in a hurry compared to stock.

Ghetto2315 said:
On my 00 XJ I have a Gale Banks Header that is Jet-Hot Ceramic Coated coupled with a 2.5" Gibson SS Catback Exhaust, with the Gibson Muffler switched out for a Flowmaster Super 40 and I absolutely love it... the performance gains are there and the sound is loud. You guys can listen / watch it here: EXHAUST VID CLIP
That Sound Great.

hmulyo said:
mine is right hand drive? do they make headers for a right hand drive in the USA? or we can just use the sasme header as in the left hand drive?
i want it to be loud and powerfull, coz' we don't have any regulation for emission and noise in indonesia.
thx.
As mentioned in post #8. You can run a LHD header on a RHD.

Gojeep:thanks a lot bro. one more question, what's best for mine? borla, banks, dynomax or any other else?
can i just for example get a banks header and det the exhaust system from any other brands? would the bolts and nuts match together so that i don't have to do welding job?
thx.

ghetto2315, did you run a cat or eliminate? the one on my 2001 looks huge compared to what was on my 87. i'm not sure i want to jump into a header right now (yours sounds awesome), but am thinking about a hi-flow cat and cat back system.

I was in a situation where I needed a muffler asap. The best I was able to find locally was a Dynomax super turbo. The rest of the system is stock. Lets just say that I dont notice any difference in sound over stock at all. None whatsoever!

metalgearxj said:
ghetto2315, did you run a cat or eliminate? the one on my 2001 looks huge compared to what was on my 87. i'm not sure i want to jump into a header right now (yours sounds awesome), but am thinking about a hi-flow cat and cat back system.

Yup, I still have my stock cat. To be honest, I have had trouble finding the right hi-flow cat (something with the O2 sensors), but from what I have learned the stock cat on my 00 XJ is pretty free flowing, which is what I"m after. Eliminating my cat is a nono here in NJ (strict inspections).

hmulyo said:
is that a muffler only or a cat back system?

It started out as a 2.5" Gibson SS Catback Exhaust, but switched out the Gibson Muffler for a Flowmaster Super 40 muffler. My headers and intake help as well

Back