• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Cat-Back

CantonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to have a cat-back system installed on my 99 Sport. I'm looking for mellow rather than arrest-me loud. My XJ is stock, other than a K&N FIPK filter system and a 62mm TB. Does anyone make a dual-outlet system? I have a Sure-Pull class III hitch for towing an 18' Correct Craft, so are there going to be any clearance problems?

Thanks.

You can forget about a dual outlet exhuast kit, nobody makes 'em. I like my dynomax catback--pretty good sound. My buddy has a borla, I don't like it--to ricey.

Too ricey? You're f'ing nuts.....GREAT resonance inside the cabin, sounds pretty good outside too, perhaps not as reliable as I expected but then again, I'm a very aggressive/hard driver, especially off-road. The only design problem with the Borla is it's a little thin, but unless you have a set of headers to go with it, you're not gonna notice the lack of diameter (2" or 2.125" I think). You will, however, get a VERY nice and mellow sound (stainless steel), and some extra performance on top of it.

I'd also recommend a header and a high-flow cat. You have 2 O2 sensors - 1 in front of the cat, the other right behind it - so, unfortunately, you cannot simply drill out the catalyst, or else the second O2 sensor will go haywire.

Clifford still makes dual-outlet headers - 1 header for every 3 cylinders - and I don't know about the reliability (I imagine they must be pretty good), but you'd have to either bend some custom pipe yourself, or have somebody do it. Nobody makes a true dual kit for the XJ, but there's plenty of room for them if you feel so inclined (as I do).

I just had a Banks header, and Magnaflow highflow cat and catback put on.

Sounds great not noticably loud unless I want it to be, not ricey at all. I think it may even be quuieter at cruising speed. I have the FIPK and a 62mm TB, I really feel everything coresponds well together.

Cjmartz2k said:
You can forget about a dual outlet exhuast kit, nobody makes 'em. I like my dynomax catback--pretty good sound. My buddy has a borla, I don't like it--to ricey.

prb24 said:
X2 on the Dynomax.

glad to hear that. I'm putting my Dynomax kit on this week. <$100 and good sound, what more could you ask for?

91Limited said:
glad to hear that. I'm putting my Dynomax kit on this week. <$100 and good sound, what more could you ask for?

Where'd you get it?

I have a gibson cat back, there really isnt any sound gain from their cat back system. But Im sure the flow is better than stock.

mikeswrangler said:
I have a gibson cat back, there really isnt any sound gain from their cat back system. But Im sure the flow is better than stock.

i have the same system. there is a bit of sound gain. not so much volume as quality. the exhaust just sounds better. and at WOT it is a bit louder.

jfox21 said:
i have the same system. there is a bit of sound gain. not so much volume as quality. the exhaust just sounds better. and at WOT it is a bit louder.

At work we call Gibson's tune the 'grown-up sound'. ;) Kids can keep their Flowmasters and Borlas...

hey! my jeep needs a new muffler:D hehe

Dont get me wrong, I like the Gibson alot, I used to have a flowmaster 40 series on my 94 XJ and on the highway you just listened to the thing hum the whole time, it gets old after a while.

ECKSJAY said:
At work we call Gibson's tune the 'grown-up sound'. ;) Kids can keep their Flowmasters and Borlas...

which gibson do you normall install, phil?

I just looked on the Gibson site and it says its cat-back system won't work with my trailer hitch. :bawl: Anyone running a cat-back with a trailer hitch?

canton, i looked at that also...grrr

plus i also dont wanna spend the 300 bucks

Here's my Dynomax with a Draw-Tite hitch. It's hanging a little low, because I kinda knocked it around on this trip...no clearance issues whatsoever. It's a little dirty, but it does have a welded on stainless steel tip too.

MorganHill041005023.jpg

CantonXJ said:
I just looked on the Gibson site and it says its cat-back system won't work with my trailer hitch. :bawl: Anyone running a cat-back with a trailer hitch?

Yeah, I smashed the tip on the hitch...so I cut the tailpipe off just before where it would interfere again. ;)

prb24 said:
... It's hanging a little low, because I kinda knocked it around on this trip...no clearance issues whatsoever. ...

Is there no rear hanger on that system? Also, how's the noise level inside the cabin? Does it tend to drone at highway speeds? A nice low-speed "burble" would be nice, but I don't want anything that would cause my 14 year-old son to turn to me and say: "Dad, that new exhaust RaUx!"

KnowWudUhMean?

Last edited:
Back