• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bending Question

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not quite sure where to put this, but I am putting in a new steering set up that utilizes 1.1250" outer diam, .220" thick DOM tubing and would like to use a pipe bender to put two angles into it. My question is, can I use a regular exhaust style pipe bender to bend the rod, or will it destroy the strength in it? The company I'm ordering from has the option of bending it for you, but at $89 a bend, I'd rather do it myself, but I'm concerned about bending DOM tubing on a non-mandrel type bender. What do you tool junkies think? Will I be ok bending it?

If the die is not the right size, you'll crush the tube.

The bender that most(around here) shops have will not bend TUBE, they are the pipe type benders..

Awesome, appreciate the responses guys. I found a company (searchers 4wd) who is going to just make it for me so I won't have to find someone to bend it. Appreciate all the help!

Just a tip, try your local fab shops and see if they will let you buy any old rejects from cages they've built.
I go to the dune buggy shop in the city and buy theirs.
I can usually get 8 to 10 pieces, with all degrees of bends, for about $10.
Then just slug the tubes and weld them together.
The spliced sections end up stronger than the rest.

what is "slug the tubes"

First you drill a few holes in the two pieces of tube you want to join together.
The, you insert a tube (slug) that has an OD the same as the ID of the larger tube.
Butt the two pieces together.
Finally plug weld and butt weld it all together and grind it smooth.
Easy.

Sounds simple and effective. How far would you say the slug needs to extend in either direction?

This method is good enough for steering suspension cage?

What would be the benefits of slugging vs. sleeving as far as strength and not an aesthetic(sp?) reason? I need to do one or the other and didn't really think about slugging, I had to cut my uni-rail cage mounts off to put suspension bracketry and now I need them re-attached, now I am a little intrigued. Sorry for the hijackity.

I see little difference in strength.
The thickness of a section of welded, seems to be the same whether a slug or a sleeve is used.
I prefer to slug, as it is more aesthetic and a much cleaner finished product.

Actually, now that I think about it, it seems the sleeved tube, because of a larger OD, may be slightly stronger.

Also, don't forget to bevel the ends of the tubing to be joined and leave approx. 1/16" gap between the butts.

Like I used to say, "Fusion is good, but penetration rules.":thumbup:

Back