• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Badland's Trail Difficulty

phmaris

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering how difficult the orange trails are?

I read that the orange trails need a minimum of 33" tires? I've heard people say this a lot at other places and I had no problem with my 31's, and that was before my locker. I dont want to hold up the group though.

If anyone has been out there recently and can comment on the status of the trails, that would be awesome.

Will I be allowed on orange trails without 33's?

I have a 99 with a RE 3.5 superflex lift, 31" Goodyear Duratrac tires, Aussie locker in the 8.25, diff guards, sliders, skids. Might be locked front & rear by WF.

Last edited:
Just wondering how difficult the trails are?

I read that the orange trails need a minimum of 33" tires? I've heard people say this a lot at other places and I had no problem with my 31's, and that was before my locker.

Will I be allowed on orange trails without 33's?

I have a 99 with a RE 3.5 superflex lift, 31" Goodyear Duratrac tires, Aussie locker in the 8.25, diff guards, sliders, skids. Might be locked front & rear by WF.

During the group ride, they might make you stick to green, but you would be fine on orange. If they make you stick to green just hit the orange in the afternoon.

You should be fine on orange but for the official run's you have to follow the leaders requirements, witch might leave you on green

maybe try Rev's run he will probably go through orange at some point

Its gonna be at the trail leaders discretion. They have final say. Yeah, most of orange can be done on 31's but they have decided they want at least 33's and a locker. We wont know until the preruns the day before. Once they do that, we will have a better idea of how the trails are. Right now they probably have a foot or more of snow on them! :D

The organized runs are going to stay with the listed requirements but that is the beauty of the open afternoon runs is that you can go out in an "unorganized" group and try other trails. We set the requirements due to trying to get a large group through a trail in the least amount of time.

IMHO, going Orange on 31's will put you at a higher risk of damage to your XJ. Going through on 33's is much kinder.

I'd suggest going Green the first day.
That will give you a feel for how the terrain is that week.
Those that take Orange can tell you how it is. SOmetimes the by-passes are just as bad as the main trail on Orange.

BOB

ive done orange many times on 31's and no lockers. sure its up to the trail leaders, but you would have no problem with orange.

I just watched a youtube video of a few guys going down the orange trail in their Wranglers. It looked pretty tame to what I have put my Cherokee through at the Cliffs.

Looking forward to playing on the Orange trails in the afternoon.

Who's in for a group afternoon orange run on 31's?

I just watched a youtube video of a few guys going down the orange trail in their Wranglers. It looked pretty tame to what I have put my Cherokee through at the Cliffs.

I have been debating it, just depends on the trail conditions. Gotta drive it to work Monday morning!

I am on small 33's. I am sure we could get together and hit it one afternoon.

Thats what trailers are for:roll:

Pft..........driving it to work all muddy and with more damage is way cooler......damn trailer queens! :D

mayby so but it sure is nice to get out on a trail and look at an obsticle and not have to think about how I am gonna get home if I try it

mayby so but it sure is nice to get out on a trail and look at an obsticle and not have to think about how I am gonna get home if I try it

Haha, yeah I know. I want to buy a house by the end of the year, a tow rig and trailer aren't even in the budget. Plus, I don't even have my lockers installed! :D

I will be there open with new 31s and 2 passengers... Gotta drive 10hrs back to Wisconsin, but would be willing to give orange a go if its not too bad...

99SJ 'Sliders were the first purchase I made for my Creep' Ex

Pft..........driving it to work all muddy and with more damage is way cooler......damn trailer queens! :D

You tell yourself that now, but trust me, it's way nicer driving to work in a sedan.

87 "DD'd it with swampers" manche

You tell yourself that now, but trust me, it's way nicer driving to work in a sedan.

Oh, I know. Currently I am thinking of Buying Jennies Jeep from Brad, keeping it for a while and trading it for a car to drive/autocross. :D

You have some cajones if you DD Swampers!:eek:

It is also nice not to have to worry about how you are going to get home in the event something does break.

darkside "borrowing a truck from work and a buddies trailer" mj

That was fun when I worked at a carwash :D

When I drove it to work at Advance I wasted half my day talking about it with customers. After so many 'Dude that must be awesome in the mud!' comments I started driving the truck. People around here get a confused look in their face when you tell them you hate mud and run rocks.

You have some cajones if you DD Swampers!:eek:

I used to DD mine on LTBs. The first mile or so is a nice wake up :D

Back