• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad news for cleghorn pilot rock fans

Ok guys seeing im being flamed back channel on this subject ill just shut my mouth and let things be the way its gona be. Ive ran the trails there too and pucker hill is not a numbered trail there for not legally driven on, thats the point I was trying to make. Fuck me for trying to save everyone from a possible fine.

dzraces said:
Ok guys seeing im being flamed back channel on this subject ill just shut my mouth and let things be the way its gona be. Ive ran the trails there too and pucker hill is not a numbered trail there for not legally driven on, thats the point I was trying to make. Fuck me for trying to save everyone from a possible fine.

Sorry for the people flaming you in private... it was not my intent to cause probs... you are not the one who made the rules or enforces them, you only heard what "the man" planned to do in the area and were letting us know... thanks for the heads up... BTW... get wicked in the private flames... getting personal usully gets them to shut up...

Be safe...

Ken

I wasn't pointing fingers at you Dan, just saying I don't agree with the rule, and I won't follow it. When I see the Rangers, I will be polite, then when he is done writing the ticket, I'll tell him to fawk his wife now and then and maybe he won't be such a prick.

Again...Thanks for pointing out the rule, but its still a stupid rule.

dzraces said:
trying to get a pdf file of the newest trail map for sanbernadino forest to share

Here is a page on the program in place.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/projects/ohv_map.shtml

They are downloadable. Not sure what is open/closed. I am planning on going to the Forest Office in the near furure to see where the program stands.

I know the fires of 03 and the rains therafter locked a lot of open gates, but it would be good to know what is off limits.

Tony (karstic's brother)

JohnX said:
I wasn't pointing fingers at you Dan, just saying I don't agree with the rule, and I won't follow it. When I see the Rangers, I will be polite, then when he is done writing the ticket, I'll tell him to fawk his wife now and then and maybe he won't be such a prick.

Again...Thanks for pointing out the rule, but its still a stupid rule.

Great attitude, no wonder the off-road community is some as a bunch of pricks by the general public.

JohnX said:
I don't see the problem. As far as I'm concerned if it has been driven over before, and has no brush on it, then it IS a trail.

I hate to break this to you, but just because some area has tire threads on it from a previous doofus, doesn't make it a trail. The Forest Service, the BLM, The NPS, the Bureau of Land Reclamation all currently have accurate GPS tracks of the trails each manage. Just because somebody decides to cut across a new obstacle or new hill or new rock does not automatically make that a new part of the trail.

When I was a member of the Waywegos, that club's Adopt-A-Trail was John Bull. We would perform trail maintenance at least once a year. That included repairing washouts and blocking off the go-arounds and blocking off new paths created. The SoCal Chapter of NAXJA performs a similar function on our own Adopt-A-Trail.

How you behave when you recreate alone reflects only upon you. How you behave when you recreate as part of a group reflects on the entire group. Behave like that while you're on trail ride that's part of a permit, there's a high likelihood that a well tuned trail boss will stop the run, call a ranger and wait until they come haul your ass away and impound you vehicle.

karstic said:
Great attitude, no wonder the off-road community is some as a bunch of pricks by the general public.
Yep, thats me? My attitude on the matter stems from receiving a ticket for driving on cleghorn a while back. Gate was open, "closed" sign was not visible, so I took a quick drive down the road. I had never been on it before and wanted to see what was back there. I was in a stock S10 and did nothing more than drive in, get a flat tire, and limp back to the gate (no spare). I got to the gate and found it was locked behind me...I was there less than 20 minutes. Bad timing. Anyway, flagged down a very helpful CHP, he radioed for the FS and they showed up to open the gate. I drove my truck through and parked to wait for a spare tire to arrive. Then the FS yo-yo comes over and writes me a ticket for being on a closed road. I explained to him it was open when I got there, then he straight out accused me of cutting the lock? I told him if I cut it to go in, I would have cut it to go out. He said it didn't matter and wrote me a ticket for $50. When he was ready to leave, I told him that ticket was gonna cost me $100...$50 for the fine and $50 for my new bolt cutters. I was pissed that because I played by the rules, flagged a cop, and got him to open the gate(which he had just put a new lock on less than ten miuntes ago)...I was getting a ticket? That was the first and last time I will be getting a ticket for being behind a closed gate.

Basically, I am pissed because even when I try to follow there rules...I got screwed.

Yes I know its a bad attitude...but it isn't right for them to close off all the trails and force us to drive long distances for a couple hours of wheeling.

Done ranting. :D

PS...I do basically agree with you in theory, but real life taught me theories are only good on paper.

karstic said:
Here's your opportunity for those who have something to say about the trails in the SBNF.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=243398449#post243398449

I have been to some of those open houses...they don't seem to care much about what I had to say, it was hard enough just finding someone who would bother to listen.

The problem with these open houses is that not enough Jeepers show up. The last one I went to had only one other Jeeper there...compared with about 2 dozen "greenies".

JohnX said:
The problem with these open houses is that not enough Jeepers show up. The last one I went to had only one other Jeeper there...compared with about 2 dozen "greenies".

something there seems to be a problem...

JohnX said:
I have been to some of those open houses...they don't seem to care much about what I had to say, it was hard enough just finding someone who would bother to listen.

So you gonna show up or roll over and play dead?

You don't have to go to the meetings to be heard.

The maps can be viewed online. A well composed letter can be sent to the program director for the OHV trail plan.

The reason we are getting our asses handed to us is because very few people in the off-roading community take the time to get involved. Too many people want to run the trails an get pissed when they get closed.

karstic said:
So you gonna show up or roll over and play dead?

I can probably make this one if nothing else comes up. The rest are just too far away.
Thursday, February 15, 2007 7:00 - 9:00 pm
San Bernardino National Forest Supervisor's Office
602 S. Tippecanoe
San Bernardino, CA.
karstic said:
You don't have to go to the meetings to be heard.

Yep...I think letters are a lot easier for most of us, but I just don't believe they are always read?
karstic said:
The maps can be viewed online. A well composed letter can be sent to the program director for the OHV trail plan.
Couldn't get there website to load the maps, I'll have to try back later.
karstic said:
The reason we are getting our asses handed to us is because very few people in the off-roading community take the time to get involved. Too many people want to run the trails an get pissed when they get closed.
AMEN! Show some support guys! Maybe we should make these meeting into Meet'n'Greets?

JohnX said:
I can probably make this one if nothing else comes up. The rest are just too far away.
602 S. Tippecanoe
San Bernardino, CA.

Couldn't get there website to load the maps, I'll have to try back later.

AMEN! Show some support guys! Maybe we should make these meeting into Meet'n'Greets?

Here's the link to the map index. If you click on a pink square it should open a PDF file of that quadrangle with the proposed changes.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/projects/ohv_map.shtml

i agree that having a contingent of off roaders at the meetings helps. unfortunatly in the late 80's i was involved in mtn bike access rights (pre-imba) at the state park level . there were about 30 of us mtn bikers at an "public access meeting" at the stables/equestrian center off of carbon canyon. and maybe 6-8 equstrians. after we all had our say in a polite, concerned, and thoughtful manner (several of the horse riders would constantly try to interupt us) the district manager for state parks parks actualy told us "you all (mtn bikers) have some very valid and genuine claims, but the state has already made its decision to close most of the trails you use here at chino hills state park. the meetings were just being held so they could say there were public meetings. what i found out afterwards from one of the younger park guys was that ,in sacramento, it was decided that it would cost too much to do a impact report on each trail, it was easier and cheaper to just close them if possible. what made the issue hard was that as a group we were the ones doing a lot of the tail maintanance on a volunteer basis. a lot of what happens is driven by money. equestrains and sierra club have lots of money to throw at politicians. we need to keep up the fight to our public land!

JohnX said:
602 S. Tippecanoe
San Bernardino, CA.

Sitting here kicking myself. I just got home after 3+ hours on the freeway....cant force another hour for this. Hope someone else made it.

The comment period has been extended to March 9

Back