• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AutoZone, Dont We Love Em

XJoshua

NAXJA Forum User
AutoZone is really starting to bug me. I wouldnt have to shop there if the other parts store ever had the parts in stock.

I went in there a couple nights ago to get a radiator flush kit, antifreeze, and antirust additive. The guy followed me around, and I understand I came in late, but he tried so hard to get me to purchase the most expensive antifreeze ever. I grabed the cheap Value stuff and he told me to get the Prestone stuff about 3 times saying it was only $3 dollars more. Now that the blingy intake rice stuff is near the additives he suggested I get a chrome trim cone filter. Then I told him I dont care about "performance" because I have a stroker in the making. Then he questioned my intentions on that saying that a '88 XJ isnt worth putting money into. I told him I disagreed, everything is covered in oil which kepts the underbody in tip top shape, and the interior is spotless minus the missing headliner.

So when I asked him to get the fan clutch and thermostat he questioned me on the thermostat I told him one that pops at 180*F, he said well our computer says you need a 195*F. Almost lost it there, after he questioned all intentions that night. Finally after getting everything he asked if I wanted chrome polish for my rims. That got me fired up because my rims are the stock nine slot, with surface rust all over, and only someone from this town would even suggest me having Dubs on a Jeep.

At one point I wish I had asked him to help me find the headlight fluid so I could run out of the store. I dunno if its just this town, or every AutoZone, but if a customer comes in knowing what s/he wants then the sells person should not suggest and questions all of his/her intentions.:lecture:

i have never had that problem but my roomate is a manager so i get the discount plus the exact part i need he doesnt try to sell me the bling wheel cleaner of performance cone because he HAS seen my XJ! he suggested a pair of doors when i come in to get parts! haha

DrMoab said:
Just so you know...Your jeep "should have a 195* stat in it.
That's right.
It's not a SBC, and actually runs better at higher temps.
Any lower and you're gonna start wasting fuel.

XJoshua said:
"...everything is covered in oil which kepts the underbody in tip top shape..."

I think I figured out why my jeep has so many squeaks - it's too clean.

all auto zone's in Cali I have been to are slow, filled with non-english speaking people, and the personnel who work there only get the jobs because they speak spanish...obviously, because they never know what the fuc$ they are talking about! IMO they suck.

The AZ here is just fine. Sometimes you get the kids that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, but usually they are helpful and too busy to be pushy.

Dirt said:
I only go to that place in work clothes.

I never get hassled. :thumbup:
Yeah, I don't imagine they would..........

chippendales.jpg

IcedXJ said:
oh that is a picture of me last night...I did some pushups and was walking around the house, and no that is not chippendales :D
Actually, that was the shot I got of you celebrating, after laying down that sweet bead, the other day.
Didn't think I was watching, did you?

sooooooooooo many guys are coming to us at advance from autozone because of the horrible customer service. they are just right across the road, and about 5 times today we had people come in there saying they were fed up with the rude employees and them getting the wrong parts. sure they're marginally cheaper on some stuff, but i'd rather go somewhere i get treated nicely.. plus we offer pricematch so yeah.

I get good service from the NAPA & Advance near home, as well as the local (to my work) Auto Zone. Seems like AZ gets the bulk of my business simply due to a more convenient location. (Napa & Advance near work sucks for getting in & out of their parking lots... that alone can add 5 + min to the trip so I avoid it.)

Generally I know the exact part # I want (all these places have websites just so ya know) before getting there... or at least will bring in the old part to match it up with what's offered. I find the staff generally helpful too :dunno:

woody said:
I get good service from the NAPA & Advance near home, as well as the local (to my work) Auto Zone. Seems like AZ gets the bulk of my business simply due to a more convenient location. (Napa & Advance near work sucks for getting in & out of their parking lots... that alone can add 5 + min to the trip so I avoid it.)

Generally I know the exact part # I want (all these places have websites just so ya know) before getting there... or at least will bring in the old part to match it up with what's offered. I find the staff generally helpful too :dunno:
That's the exact same I do.
AZ is less than a 3 minutes drive.
Napa is second closest, but off a busy medianed road.
Advance is closer to my work.
I get part numbers first and then go in and order.
No probs with any as of yet.

I prefer Napa. Although its not much better. The electrical parts seem to hold up better. I made the mistake of getting an alternater from Autozone one time. What an adventure that was, the staff is top notch:dunce:

I bought a new alternator at The Parts Store in Moab.
It has a three year warranty from 10-07-04 and damnit, if it hasn't needed returning yet.
I'm hoping for it to fail sometime around next Easter.:D

Wow, I never get any service like that at Auto Zone... matter of fact, its hard enough to get one of the retards to acknowledge me!

I go to Napa 90% of the time now, its worth the extra drive and money for the better service.

Well as a previous Autozone employee, I can agree with everyone that hates that place. I worked there for 2 years and was one of, if not THE most knowledgeable people in the store. My first day on the job I overheard a female employee tell a customer to put ATF3 in his manual clutch reservoir, and on another occassion she told somebody that power steering fluid and brake fluid are the same thing.

Autozone will hire anyone who can name random parts of an automobile in the interview. Around here, most autozone employees have very minimal hands on automotive experience. The stores i worked at were full of women whose husbands were "ASE certified mechanics" therefore they knew EVERYTHING. "well my husband does this" blah blah blah.

Even when i worked at AZ i shopped at Napa for most of my parts.

Autozone has a creedo called WITTDTJR. What It Takes To Do The Job Right. And as an employee, if you sell a radiator hose, for example, you get bonus "WITT" points if you sell hose clamps, antifreeze, hose lube, shop rags, etc with it. It pissed me off when my boss would yell at me for not suggesting all that bullshit when the customer didnt ask for it. 9 times out of ten it frustrates the customer to sit there and suggest all this stuff they already have or already know they need.

im off my soap box now. :soapbox:

olivedrabcj7 said:
Well as a previous Autozone employee, I can agree with everyone that hates that place. I worked there for 2 years and was one of, if not THE most knowledgeable people in the store. My first day on the job I overheard a female employee tell a customer to put ATF3 in his manual clutch reservoir, and on another occassion she told somebody that power steering fluid and brake fluid are the same thing.

Autozone will hire anyone who can name random parts of an automobile in the interview. Around here, most autozone employees have very minimal hands on automotive experience. The stores i worked at were full of women whose husbands were "ASE certified mechanics" therefore they knew EVERYTHING. "well my husband does this" blah blah blah.

Even when i worked at AZ i shopped at Napa for most of my parts.

Autozone has a creedo called WITTDTJR. What It Takes To Do The Job Right. And as an employee, if you sell a radiator hose, for example, you get bonus "WITT" points if you sell hose clamps, antifreeze, hose lube, shop rags, etc with it. It pissed me off when my boss would yell at me for not suggesting all that bullshit when the customer didnt ask for it. 9 times out of ten it frustrates the customer to sit there and suggest all this stuff they already have or already know they need.

im off my soap box now. :soapbox:

I tried to work there once. They refused to hire me because I was 17, but they were in desperate need. I'd laugh every time I went in there and they had a long line after that.

Back